PDA

View Full Version : Air hose for outdoor (freezing temps) use?

Phil Thien
12-15-2013, 12:36 PM
My garage compressor (for filling tires, etc.) is a pancake (oil-less) type and the cost is a black rubber hose purchased w/ the compressor (both at Sears, maybe 15 years ago).

The hose, in freezing temperatures, gets an oily coating on the outside. Now, I don't have an oiler, so nothing is seeping through. And in the warmer temps, the oil goes away and the hose feels nice and dry.

I've cleaned the coating off, it just comes back. Leading me to believe that the rubber contains something that is trying to get out when the temps fall.

ANYWAY, I've decided to just replace the host. I'd like to find something that isn't so heavy, and works okay in the colder temps. I know PVC gets pretty stiff, how about polyurethane?

I'd also like to get a reel that can provide maybe 25 feet of hose. So something that stays flexible in cold temps and can go on a reel and isn't too heavy is desired. What should I buy?

Howard Acheson
12-15-2013, 1:23 PM
May be condensation. Compressing air causes it to warm up. A warm hose in cold air will develop condensation.

Tony Joyce
12-15-2013, 2:12 PM
I got one of the Flexzilla hoses back in the fall and I love how it lays flat. I ordered a second one for my unheated spray booth and so far it seems to stay very flexible and lay flat. Not quite the same as outdoors, but the package says -40 deg to 140 deg.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TFE7ZC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it's not heavy, actually seems light(weight wise) to me.

Tony

Phil Thien
12-15-2013, 2:41 PM
May be condensation. Compressing air causes it to warm up. A warm hose in cold air will develop condensation.

Definitely not water, very oily. I did a little research once and some of the rubber hoses do this.

Thanks Tony, I'll look into the link you sent.

Jim Becker
12-15-2013, 8:25 PM
The Flexeel hose I use remains soft and pliable no matter what the temperature it is here. That's one of the benefits of it and similar products. It's also lightweight. These are the only hoses I have now...I got rid of the old rubber ones years ago!

Ed Aumiller
12-15-2013, 8:59 PM
Tractor Supply sells an air hose reel w/hose that works great for in a garage...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg%3B-auto-retracting-air-hose-reel-with-300-psi-rubber-hose-3-8-in-x-50-ft?cm_vc=-10005#desc-tab
(yep, the hose it comes with is rubber, but have not had any problem with it and have used it in single digit temps)

Sure like the convenience of it...

Matt Meiser
12-15-2013, 9:56 PM
Flexzilla or Flexeel.

Bob Michaels
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
+ 1 for flexeel. Good results in all weather conditions.

Peter Quinn
12-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I have a flexeel urethane hose, I've framed with it in sub freezing temps, it stays flexible, never bleeds anything. I also have a Goodyear rubber hose, yellow in color, very easy to coil versus the urethane but quite a bit heavier, stays flexible in sub freezing temps, no oil issues to date. They sell the urethane as "never developes a memory" like PVC, and I'd say that's true but the jury's out IMO on wether or not that's a good feature. They can be just spastic roll up. A urethane hose is easier to coil IME when pressure is released, they seem fine on a hose real so maybe that's a good idea.

David C. Roseman
12-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Phil, for a hose reel for the garage/homeshop, the TSC unit linked to above is a pretty good one, as is the HF unit. http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-retractable-air-water-hose-reel-with-3-8-eighth-inch-hose-93897.html

HF also has it in a 25' model. Both the TSC and HF come with a rubber hose, but you can easily retrofit that if you find it too stiff in your conditions. May not be necessary with the auto rewind feature, because you can adjust it to increase spring tension. FWIW, I've had the 50' HF model for a couple of years and am surprised at how well it is made for the money. A few days ago, the local stores had them for $59.95 with a super coupon, but you can get close with a 25% coupon off their frequent "regular" sale price. A retired autotech buddy of mine has both the TSC and HF, and likes them a lot and equally. He's used the best professionally, so has a better frame of reference than I. Northern Equipment has one that looks similar to the HF.

David

Ronald Blue
12-17-2013, 9:54 PM
I use Good Year Autogrip on my service truck. 1/2" id, 300 psi max and works at 175 psi all day long. My compressor has 1100 hours on it and only issue was it developed a bubble near the crimp and I just had it cut back a foot or so and a new end crimped on. Works great from -20 to 100 degrees. Have never had any issues with anything "bleeding" from it. I use a whip hose to drop it to 3/8 and a more user friendly size.

Mike Heidrick
12-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Hijack - Whats a good female 1/4" quick connect for the end of an air hose? Mine leaks like a sieve.

Menards had flexzilla reels on sale for black friday - $35 for a 30' auto reel setup. May be some left.