PDA

View Full Version : An e-bay problem - anyone have similiar?

Carl Eyman
06-09-2005, 9:43 AM
This morning I had an e-mail message from e-bay telling me I was suspended from membership because they were concerned for the integrity of e-bay!

I am at a total loss to understand. Over the several years I've been on their rolls I have made one purchase and one offer to sell - later withdrawn. The most recent bid I made must have been 3 months ago and it was unsuccessful.

I've had no credit related incident lately or ever - for that matter.

The only recent incident that even remotely have had an effect is that I got a notice from a credit card company that they wanted to increase my interest rate to 22%; when I protested (even though I never carry a balance) they offered to drop it to 12%. This got me mad so I cancelled the card.

I don't give a darn about e-bay, but I'm a little concerned about this hitting my credit report and putting a blotch on it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 9:46 AM
Carl,

I have never heard of that on Ebay. With all of the crap that is out there, it is concerning that they are hitting the good guys!

I would contact Ebay and find out from them, why you are suspended.

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2005, 9:52 AM
I would suggest the e-mail was not from e-bay. Did you reply or provide any information to the mail? If not, DON"T. I get suspicous stuff like that all the time - Scams, Spam, etc. Just delete the things and get on with it.

p.s. did you log on to e-bay to see if you actually have been suspended - I would bet not. :D

Carl Eyman
06-09-2005, 9:52 AM
I sent a reply to their e-mail, but doubt I get an answer.

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2005, 9:54 AM
I sent a reply to their e-mail, but doubt I get an answer.what information did you include in your response ?? if any

I will up the bet - JUNK MAIL -- like you get in your snail mail box on a regular basis - do what you do with that -- do not open -- do not read -- do not pass "GO" -- go directly to the trash can and make a deposit, :D :) :rolleyes: :cool: :p

Charlie Plesums
06-09-2005, 9:54 AM
One of the current scams is to act like ebay or a bank, tell you that your account has been suspended, and in the process get your confidence until you provide some personal details that they later user for illegal purposes. Some of those scams actually use graphics and other info from the legitimate site to look real, but the buttons you click and the input you type goes to the fake site.

If you respond to the notices, you can be diverted to a fake site. If you have questions, you are relatively safe to go directly to the ebay or whomever, without following the links in the email, to confirm what is happening.

If this is the first time you have received such a notice consider yourself lucky. I have had hundreds.

Carl Eyman
06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
It must6 have been a scam. I signed onto e-bay without problem. Thank goodness I gave no information in my reply to the sender of the bogus message. Thanks to all that responded.

Cecil Arnold
06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
You might also want to check out your computer with a good virus checker as I understand it is possible to have a "highjacker" virus that allows someone else to pose as you using your web/e-mail/homepage.

Earl Kelly
06-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Carl, Ebay or PayPal will Never ask you to Click a Link to correct a problem. They will always ask you to sign in to your account at their secure site. This is the easiest way to spot a scam, when they want you to click on a link.

Tim Morton
06-09-2005, 11:02 AM
This morning I had an e-mail message from e-bay telling me I was suspended from membership because they were concerned for the integrity of e-bay!

I am at a total loss to understand. Over the several years I've been on their rolls I have made one purchase and one offer to sell - later withdrawn. The most recent bid I made must have been 3 months ago and it was unsuccessful.

I've had no credit related incident lately or ever - for that matter.

The only recent incident that even remotely have had an effect is that I got a notice from a credit card company that they wanted to increase my interest rate to 22%; when I protested (even though I never carry a balance) they offered to drop it to 12%. This got me mad so I cancelled the card.

I don't give a darn about e-bay, but I'm a little concerned about this hitting my credit report and putting a blotch on it.

Anybody have any ideas?

its called "phishing", and its a total scam intending on stealing your identity...just delete it as if it were junk mail. NEVER log into anything from an email link to update your personal information...

Jackie Outten
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Carl,

Was the email addressed to you personally or just to ebay member?

Jackie

Frank Hagan
06-09-2005, 1:03 PM
its called "phishing", and its a total scam intending on stealing your identity...just delete it as if it were junk mail. NEVER log into anything from an email link to update your personal information...

This is correct. It happens with banks, eBay and PayPal. Both eBay and PayPal will appreciate it if you FORWARD the email message without changing anything (and without adding any other message text) to the following addresses, as appropriate:

spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com

They will send a confirming email that it is NOT from them, along with any other instructions if they know more about the phishing from this particular email.

Chris Padilla
06-09-2005, 7:27 PM
PayPal phishing emails are what I get all the time...darn near fell for one until they asked for my pin number.

The rule of thumb is, most of these places don't simply send out emails like this...especially if they are not addressed to you using your full name. If it says, "Dear eBay User" or "Dear PayPal User", 99/100 times it is garbage/scammers.

I still get emails from (insert African country of your choice) Kings and the worst one lately is emails regarding Home Loans about how I'm all set with my 402,000 mortgage...yeah, it is always $402,000!!! I've now set up my email s/w to filter out the number 402,000!! hahaha

Ernie Nyvall
06-09-2005, 8:48 PM
Carl, ebay has a specific address for you to forward that message to. They seem to want to know about such email and try to track the offenders down.

Ernie

John Shuk
06-09-2005, 9:13 PM
There is a way to contact EBAY to let them know about this. First always open a fresh browser window and type www.ebay.com then you can paste the e-mail thru the help center. They are very on top of what they call Spoof e-mails. I know because I have been in contact with them 2 times in the past week about this very issue. It is easy for someone to make an official looking page to link to so ALWAYS open a fresh window and type the address.
Be careful. My cousin is a federal prosecuter and he says that all of the hype about identity theft is real. It is a huge problem and it is getting bigger not smaller.

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2005, 9:44 PM
It must6 have been a scam. I signed onto e-bay without problem. Thank goodness I gave no information in my reply to the sender of the bogus message. Thanks to all that responded.

Carl,

I got the same exact same email. Report crap email like that directly to eBay at : spoof@ebay.com
NEVER, EVER reply to a strange email like that. They are spoofing you and gathering your information. DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!

Hal Flynt
06-10-2005, 5:20 PM
I get these spoofs all the time, more from Pay Pal than eBay. When I get one, I assume its a scam, but I log into My eBay account or Pay Pal and look for any messages. I haven't found any yet.

All I can say is ....H'mmm I can't say that about those guys on this board and it might upset members of SPCA id I did :cool:

mike malone
06-11-2005, 8:49 PM
carl
NEVER reply to those types of email they are phish emails...forward it to

spoof@ebay.com

and they'll tell you if it is legitimate
mike