PDA

View Full Version : Engraved Pens Assembled - Bolt Action

Rich Aldrich
12-14-2013, 9:56 PM
I made these pens out of curly maple and sent them out to be lazer engraved. The first picture shows the engraving as received. I didnt like how the letters werent clear. I buffed them with very fine sand paper to get rid of the burnt residue left from the engraving. The second picture is the pen buffed. These pens had to be engraved before assembly because the engraver wasnt sure if they could engrave them assembled.

charlie knighton
12-15-2013, 9:20 AM
nice, i use isopropyl alcohol to lessen the effects of burning

Paul Williams
12-15-2013, 12:52 PM
I put the first coat of finish on the barrels before giving them to the engraver. Very little burning residue and it wipes off easily.

Rich Aldrich
12-15-2013, 1:25 PM
I put the first coat of finish on the barrels before giving them to the engraver. Very little burning residue and it wipes off easily.

This was the first time I had engraving done. They wanted the barrels completely finished. I will definitely take your advice on the next batch, if there is another batch.

Peter Fabricius
12-16-2013, 8:48 PM
Nicely done!
I finish my pens with a CA finish before laser engraving. There should Not be visible burning outside the letters. I think your engraver is using too much power.
Also the Pens are engraved before assembly on a rotary mandrel so the burn is always the same distance from the pen as the letters are burned in.
Peter F.

Paul Williams
12-16-2013, 9:44 PM
I agree with Peter about the use of a rotary mandrel if the design is rather tall. My engraver just burns the first line and then turn the pen for the second if a multi line design doesn't work without the rotary. I have done several large orders in cherry with a thin coat of BLO followed by shellac and burnt in with a rag. Then they go to the engraver. When I get them back I wipe them down with what ever thinner I have handy and finish with WOP for small orders or Lacquer for larger orders. I have never seen the amount of burning outside the letters that you show in you photo. I think Peter is correct. Ask your engraver to turn down the power

Rich Aldrich
12-17-2013, 4:08 AM
Thanks for the information. My engraver said they should have wiped them down before they were returned. For some reason, they forgot to wipe them down.

Paul Williams
12-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Rich, you are likely to get calls for more of those pens as people see them. I have a friend who has been selling my bolt action pens at gun shows. A year ago he was trying to make a deal for several for a small company to give as presents to good customers. He offered to have them engraved with the company logo if he guy increased the number I the order. As soon as he engraved pens hit the street we started getting calls asking about engraved pens. I wish you luck and future sales.