PDA

View Full Version : When is Lee Valley going to come out with a panel gauge??

Greg Berlin
12-14-2013, 3:49 PM
I keep hoping that one day Lee Valley will offer a panel gauge, or come out with an innovative version based on their marking gauge or something some time soon. I could use one and I keep holding off on buying Lie Neilsen's version just in case. Any one else out there make a panel gauge or do most people make their own these days.

Mike Brady
12-14-2013, 5:39 PM
I keep hoping that one day Lee Valley will offer a panel gauge, or come out with an innovative version based on their marking gauge or something some time soon. I could use one and I keep holding off on buying Lie Neilsen's version just in case. Any one else out there make a panel gauge or do most people make their own these days.

They are certainly easy enough to make, unlike many other layout tools. The Lie-Neilsen design can be morphed into a cutter for inlaying narrow stringing, also. The materials should be available at your hardware and perhaps your cutoff bin for the wood. The only thing I had to go on line for was the knurled brass 1/4-20 tensioning screw.

David Wadstrup
12-14-2013, 5:42 PM
Hi Greg,

Hamilton Tools (http://www.hamiltontools.com/categories/Panel-Gauge/) makes a great panel gauge. I really, really love mine. It's rock solid, locks securely, and is a pleasure to use. They're handmade by a small toolmaker so there will probably be a short lead time and are a bit on the expensive side. It's the only panel gauge you'll probably ever have to buy, though, so if you can swing it, I wouldn't hesitate -- I don't think you'll find a nicer one out there.

Here's (http://blog.lostartpress.com/2011/12/02/the-hamilton-panel-gauge/) a review of it from a couple of years ago.

Rob Lee
12-14-2013, 5:53 PM

Hi Greg,

Veritas has looked at it several times....but can't quite hit the value point we want. A panel gauge is a fairly straightforward project....

Cheers,

Rob

Mel Fulks
12-14-2013, 6:05 PM
I would check with a pattern makers supply house. I bought one from such a place in mid 1970s. It's unmarked ,has steel rod ,brass fence, and a cutter of steel that can be sharpened and replaced.

roger m lance
12-14-2013, 6:14 PM
Greg.....I made a gauge last month and posted some pics etc on 11/7 on Woodcentral Hand tools.....I'm computer limited in my abilities and do not know how to post pics here.....as Rob said it is a relatively easy project and I would recommend you make one.

Steve Voigt
12-14-2013, 7:18 PM
Roger,
That's a nice gauge, I've seen it on WC. You should post it here.
Posting anything is easier here than on WC. After you click on reply and the window opens, just click on the icon that's 3rd from the right (insert image) and it should be pretty self-explanatory from there. After you've inserted the pic, double click on it and you'll get options for resizing/repositioning the image. Hope that helps.

-Steve

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-14-2013, 7:30 PM
A panel gauge isn't too awful hard to make - before I made mine, I made do with two pieces of wood screwed together and finish nails driven through as needed to mark width. I suggest something a little nicer, though.

I made this one in a couple of hours; later on I fit some aluminum angle to it, although it didn't really need it. At some point I'll replace the aluminum with brass when I run across some.

I've probably spent more time in the year or so since I've built it fettling the wedge than building the thing. It's started slipping again if I'm heavy handed - if I can't get the wedge to hold tighter (I'll pay a little more attention to the mortise and make a new wedge) I think next time I'll go with a thumbscrew.

The blade is a jigsaw blade ground to a spear point, and held with a wedge. It works pretty well, and that wedge holds a lot tighter.

Most of the time spent building was ripping the stock and then adding the bevels to the bottom - which doesn't seem to be helping hold things tighter, but does lessen any play once it's held in place.

As long as we're asking Lee Valley to make things, I'd *really* like some traditional center bits that fit in a two jaw brace chuck. It seems like something that would be easy to make with modern methods; I've had a hard time finding decent used examples, but after playing with a couple, I'd plunk down some serious change for a good set.

Tony Wilkins
12-14-2013, 10:15 PM
The Hamilton model is very nice looking bit of kit. Besides looks, any other reason to spend three times as much on it?

Also, anybody tried using the extensions on a tite-mark gauge?

Steve Voigt
12-14-2013, 10:49 PM
That's a nice gauge, Josh. No way I could make that in a couple hours.
Don't give up on that wedge--it should hold as well or better than a screw.
My wife, who is a theatrical costume designer, gave me some tailor's chalk. I like it better than anything else I've tried for wedge fitting. It helps me pinpoint exactly where the wedge is not making contact.
I don't have a panel gauge, but I just finished a cutting gauge today. Will try to post it soon.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-15-2013, 9:24 AM
Well, I'm probably remembering the amount of time it took me from two pieces of wood to actually using it - I went back and cleaned it up more later, and eventually put some BLO on it. It helped that I had two pieces of wood pretty much the shape I needed, (the funny handle design is because of the existing shape of that scrap more than any design consideration!) so really it was just cut a rabbet, a mortise, and a little rasping. The mortise was just drilled out with an auger and squared up.

Looking at it now, I'm thinking part of the problem may be the wedge direction - the blade pulls the stock out a little bit, which loosens, rather than tightens the wedge. I ought to flip the blade around, since keeping the gauge tight against the stock isn't too difficult with the large rabbet, and the bevel ought to face the waste anyway. I use it mostly with the pencil, though - I can't remember if it's been slipping that way. I guess that would tell me if the blade is impacting things.

David Weaver
12-15-2013, 9:31 AM
There are old stanley panel gauges around if you keep your eyes open.

I have an old rosewood version that cost me about $25. I can't imagine replacing it with anything that would work any better.

Last time I was in one of my favorite antique shops in fayetteville, pa, there were three on the wall for less than I paid (they weren't all rosewood, though). None were as expensive as mine, which I got from walt (but to be fair, the guy who runs the fayetteville shop doesn't sell on the internet, and is usually cheaper than anyone.

roger m lance
12-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Rob.....hope you are still reading this thread.....when I built my gauge I used parts from various sources including LV, LN, and Woodpecker.....perhaps LV could offer a hardware kit for making a panel gauge....especially the metal cutter which is also a subject of discussion on another current thread.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-15-2013, 11:25 AM
I would love readily available pin-style and knife style cutters; if the price was cheap enough it's the sort of thing I'd just drop in my shopping cart when ordering something else without even thinking about it.

(And I still want center bits, too.)

Steve Voigt
12-15-2013, 11:47 AM
I would love readily available pin-style and knife style cutters; if the price was cheap enough it's the sort of thing I'd just drop in my shopping cart when ordering something else without even thinking about it.

Hamilton marking gauges sells the cutters for their gauges separately. The marking gauge cutters are $12 and the panel gauge cutters are $15. I'd rather make my own, but those prices don't seem unreasonable to me at all.

Metod Alif
12-15-2013, 1:22 PM
I am waiting for a poster size cutting list for a batch of toothpicks. That alone could bring me to to the next level of woodworking.
Metod

Joe Bailey
12-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Metod
We erroneously had you listed as waiting for a microscopically small panel gauge for laying out the cuts for toothpicks.

Tony Wilkins
12-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Metod
We erroneously had you listed as waiting for a microscopically small panel gauge for laying out the cuts for toothpicks.

No that was me. I'm working on an heirloom set of toothpicks for the family for Christmas.

Mike Allen1010
12-16-2013, 1:08 AM
Greg, you should consider giviing it a shot -if you do hand saw ripping, you will use your panel gauge all the time- kind of the equvilent of the rip fence on a TS.

Here are a couple pics- this is my second version. I like the round cutting gauge blades- they don't cut as deeply as the knife blade I had in my first version and are less likely to follow the grain out of parrell on wide panels.

Cheers, Mike

Tony Wilkins
12-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I like that design Mike! I may steal it.