PDA

View Full Version : Bangles

Robert McGowen
12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
A couple more bangles for Christmas presents. Each one is 12 pieces of wood. They are a size 8 leopardwood and a size 7.5 ziricote. C&C are welcome.

Jim Kountz
12-15-2013, 8:43 AM
Nice Robert, I'd like to hear about your process more specifically how you hold these for turning. Good job!

Paul Engle
12-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Very nice Robert , though, when I read Bangles , I was thinking of the all girl rock group and wondered what you had to do with them .... ;) , next , is to inlay some glittery something around the outside surface , you know just a trace of crushed Inlace or ??? Hmmnn , more ideas for the OT process ...

Mike Wilkins
12-16-2013, 3:35 PM
Some ladies are going to be impressed, as am I. Ditto on the learning about the process of making these. With a wife and 2 daughters, that skill will come in handy.

Raymond Fries
12-16-2013, 3:39 PM
Very Nice xmas gifts.

Another ditto for how you turn them.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Robert McGowen
12-16-2013, 11:00 PM
They are fairly simple to turn with the right chucks. I glue them up and use the larger jaws to hold the outside. I turn the inside to the diameter that I need, usually having to flip the piece around once to get both sides. I then use the smaller jaws to expand into the inside. A very light pressure is all that is needed. I then turn the outside. Once again, I usually need to flip it around to get both sides. One thing extra that I do is use a spindle sander to get the inside walls nice and straight, spinning the turned bangle around the rotating spindle. It is easier to do than to tell how to do it.

Raymond Fries
12-17-2013, 9:07 AM
That makes sense and does sound easy.

Great - now I gotta buy a bigger chuck. LOL

Gus Dundon
12-18-2013, 3:09 PM
Nice wood bangles! Perfectly done, Very classy work. Great job!