PDA

View Full Version : Coping saw blade

lowell holmes
12-13-2013, 8:14 PM
Those of you that clear the waste wood from the pins and tails in a dovetail, using a coping saw, what blade do you use?

My dovetail saws have thinner saw plates than the coping saw blades I have. I have a difficult time getting the coping saw blade into the joint because the saw kerf is thinner than the coping blade.

What am missing?

Rich Harkrader
12-13-2013, 9:18 PM
I use Olson 16 tpi skip tooth blades. I use a Veritas dovetail saw and don't have much of an issue with the kerf size.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TS/item/MS-COPE.XX

Pete Duffy
12-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Or just cut into the waste wood with the coping saw, instead of forcing it into the kerf.

Ted Martens
12-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Lowell -

I use a .015" thick dovetail saw, and the Pegas #7 15 TPI skip tooth blade drops right into the kerf. I think Woodcraft carries them now, but if you're among those who are not so fond of WC, Amazon has them too. Other brands of similar size probably work as well.

Winton Applegate
12-14-2013, 12:32 AM
There are various versions of Jeweler's saw that are similar to the coping saw. If you can make it work for your application, most jeweler saws the blade cuts in the same plane as the frame so the size of the frame determines what you can use it for but the blades are a whole lot thinner/smaller. You can buy lots of different tooth per inch sizes.

I prefer them because the frame can take more blade tension and so can cut more precisely into corners etc. They feel stronger and lighter.
The two smaller saws are jeweler's saws.
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/noydb1/Jewelers%20saw/IMG_1366.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/noydb1/media/Jewelers%20saw/IMG_1366.jpg.html)

lowell holmes
12-14-2013, 5:20 AM
Duhhh. . . . . (slapping my forehead)

Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks guys

Prashun Patel
12-14-2013, 7:52 AM
Fww just did a review of coping saws and blades. I believe they liked the craftsman for dt waste. There are thin blades that turn in a dt saw kerf.

Cody Kemble
12-16-2013, 3:41 PM
+1 for skip tooth Olson. The Craftsman fit into the kerf left by my Bad Axe saw, but I had a hard time cutting with it. The Olson cuts smooth and fast.

Daniel Rode
12-16-2013, 3:58 PM
I've been using some awful generic big box blades and having a heck of a time. I want to order the 16 TPI Olson's but the shipping is more than the blades :( I'll just have to wait util I need something else and have it all shipped together.

Sometimes I think I'm cheap to a fault. I would have gladly thrown the cost of shipping out the window 5 times when I was trying to cut with the waste with the junk blades. They were neither smooth nor fast.

+1 for skip tooth Olson. The Craftsman fit into the kerf left by my Bad Axe saw, but I had a hard time cutting with it. The Olson cuts smooth and fast.

john davey
12-16-2013, 6:40 PM
Ha come on Daniel. You know you need somethi g else. :)...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-16-2013, 8:36 PM
I had bought Olson blades locally - I think it was the local Ace hardware, but I can't remember for certain . . .