PDA

View Full Version : My Dad (new tool)

Steve Ash
06-08-2005, 10:51 PM
I have been wanting a 15" planer for some time and asked for advice here on this forum...thanks for your advice. Well this morning my Dad comes over to my shop to talk for a bit....he said that I needed a planer... I said yep, hopefully this fall I can get one. He thought I should have one today and he wanted to buy it for me. I told him no but he was persistant, said he wanted to see me enjoy some of my "inheritance" while he still could. So we went to our local Delta tool dealer and he bought me the 15" X5.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/20030529151737_22-780X_72dpi_200.jpg

Also a picture of my dad who will be 80 this Sunday!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_0762_0013.jpg

Vaughn McMillan
06-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Is your dad looking to adopt any middle-aged sons? ;) Oh yeah, very nice new shop toy.

- Vaughn

Joseph O'Leary
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Great photo of a proud Dad. Tell your Dad happy birthday!! And have a great Fathers Day as well!:)

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2005, 11:27 PM
That is very cool Steve. I am sure he is very proud of you! That will be one piece of equipment you should hang on to forever!
Corey

Jerry Olexa
06-08-2005, 11:36 PM
You have a fine Dad!! Great tool and you also have a great dog! (other forum)

John A. Williams
06-08-2005, 11:47 PM
What a cool story! Congrats on the new tool and happy father's day to your Dad!
John

Karl Laustrup
06-09-2005, 7:04 AM
You are a lucky man, Steve.

Congrats on the planer. :cool: :D You are going to let Dad use it aren't you? Maybe he should have the honor of feeding the first board to it. :)

Best wishes to your Dad on his birthday. :) :D :D And many more.

Karl

Mike Tempel
06-09-2005, 7:27 AM
Nice gloat - not so much on the new tool but definitely on your dad. I can feel the love from here. Nice planer too - although I wouldn't trade dad for it. Any possibility of a future adoption in your family???

John Miliunas
06-09-2005, 8:10 AM
Hey Bro! :)

Wow, Dad really went all out for you on that one! That was just simply awesome of him to do and I'm sure you will get some great use out of it.:D I must say, though, that I'm just a bit envious. I've made it widely known that a bigger/stronger planer is on my short list, yet you get it first! Gonna' have to have one of "those talks" with dear old Dad, there!:mad: You enjoy your new tool, while I sit here and cry in my Corn Flakes.:(

Sincerely,
Your brother,
John Ash:) :cool:

Richard Wolf
06-09-2005, 8:11 AM
Nice, enjoy your Dad while you can.

Richard

lou sansone
06-09-2005, 8:13 AM
great story

thanks for sharing it with us
lou

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 8:32 AM
Steve,

That is wonderful! I am sure you appreciate it greatly and I'd bet he loves that he is able to see you enjoy it.

Wes Newman
06-09-2005, 8:32 AM
Steve, That's some Dad you got there. I must send my Dad a link to this thread. I could use a new jointer.:)

Bob Noles
06-09-2005, 8:35 AM
Steve,

You have one awesome Dad. Be sure you buy him an extra helping of desert on Father's day.

What is that little bandsaw he is leaning on?

Jim Becker
06-09-2005, 8:50 AM
That's awesome!!! Congratulations, mostly on having a great dad and secondly on having a nice new planer in your shop!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2005, 8:54 AM
Steve....enjoy your Dad! Oh, BTW, Congrats and enjoy the planer too!

Matt McCormick
06-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Steve....enjoy your Dad! !

Boy everyone sure has this one right!! Enjoy your Dad. I sure miss mine.And you guys that don't enjoy your Dad, someday you WILL regret it. Sure He was a pain in the patoot ("Boy. this shop looks like a pig pen". or "a real crafsman would'nt let that leave his bench") and was kinda mean sometimes ( "Hmmm well your wife did ok for her first project I guess" his comment on a Cabinet I made.) He was always right I was always wrong. And it was hard to pick up the phone and call him after a very long time to admit I was wrong about something I was'nt and tell him I missed his old butt over here telling me what to do. Over the years I have worked with hundreds of men and many would give anything to tell thier old man they loved him even if he was an old fart and a mean one at that. Sorry guys I am getting off the soap box now and getting back to work. Steve, you are Blessed and I bet your Pop thinks He is too !!!:) :)

Ellen Benkin
06-09-2005, 11:55 AM
What a great idea -- spend the inheritance while Dad can still enjoy it! Now, what are you getting him for Father's Day/Birthday? I think you should use those tools and make something for him.

Andrew Ault
06-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Wow, what a nice guy! What a great, great thing to enjoy time with your dad. What a nice planer - wow. He must enjoy your woodworking and really care about you.

I really enjoy spending time with my parents and feel so fortunate that I can. I'm 43 and my grandfather is coming up on 100 and going strong. Grandpa still drives and plays pool all the time with his buddies.

I'm new here and haven't posted too much, but I really got a kick out of your post.

-Andy

larry merlau
06-09-2005, 12:22 PM
i tried to get adopted but steve wont let me close enough to his dad to show my stuff.. i already surmized that this was the reason.. and it was why i wanted to meet him, i need some new tools tooo :D in all actuality, i too feel that our fathers no matter what the terms are no. one.. i have a brother that is missing the boat but i aint lettin it happen.. and steve isnt either, congrats steve and now i have to look for another adoptive person :D will look forward to seein it in use.. have fun with your new toy

Michael Gabbay
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Steve - Tell your dad I'd be doing cartwheels for a new cabinet saw! That's a great story. You are lucky son!

Mike

Keith Hooks
06-09-2005, 1:14 PM
What a great dad! Maybe he's just buttering you up for Father's day :)

I hope you enjoy that planar as much as I would!

Keith July
06-09-2005, 9:14 PM
I met Steve's dad yesterday at my shop. Steve and I were working on a job together and his dad stopped by to see how things were going.

I gave it my best shot but I couldn't get adopted....I hear there is a waiting list!

I gave Steve a couple of rough sawn boards so he could try out his new planer and I bet you can guess what kind of wood it was...Ash. ;)

Keith

John Miliunas
06-09-2005, 9:27 PM
I gave Steve a couple of rough sawn boards so he could try out his new planer and I bet you can guess what kind of wood it was...Ash. ;)

Keith

Oh sure...YOU'RE close enough to where you can suck up to him! No fair!:mad:

All kidding aside, Steve is one very, very lucky fella' and NOT just because his dad gifted him with such a nice tool. The REAL gift is that of love and one which nobody can put a price tag on.:) Yup, one very lucky fella' that Steve is!:) :cool:

Frank Pellow
06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Congratulations to both you and your Dad! I have the Delta X5 15" planer and am happy with it (although, I admit that I have not yet put it to heavy use).

Steve Ash
06-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the very kind words. Yes I have been blessed to still have Dad and Mom (80 & 79) still very active and checking in on me quite often. Dad and I worked together along with my brother on the family farm up until I left to become a building contractor 16 years ago. I am very lucky to have been able to be so close to him and mom. Every house I build, they both come to check on my work, Dad still hooks up the crane and guides the trusses in place, does the staining, varnishing on the woodwork for those homes I build. Mom brings her mop and broom and cleaning supplies to do the final clean up before the new owner takes over their home. They will not accept any payment from me no matter how hard I try to give them something....I hope my love for them is enough.
Now to answer a few questions...he will get the honor of feeding the first boards through the planer.....Ash of course supplied by Keith, thanks! Also thanks for helping me unload that beast Keith.
The bandsaw he is leaning on is one he bought a few months ago for his shop, he had borrowed my Jet 12" for about a year. When I needed to bring it home for a project (I asked him first if he was done) he went out and bought that little Delta bandsaw that same day just so he'd have one in his shop.
I'm not sure how the adoption process works....but if you ever were able to meet him, he'd not mind one bit if you called him "Dad"...so Larry you and Keith live close by, give it a try and see what happens! John (Miliunas)Ash, you got an inside edge too, he is a Huge Packer fan....got tickets to Lambeau?;)
Thanks again.

Karl Laustrup
06-10-2005, 7:09 AM
he is a Huge Packer fan....got tickets to Lambeau?;)
Thanks again.

Steve, I knew there was a reason I liked your Dad. :) :D

If I did have Packer tickets, your Dad would be welcome to them anytime. :)

Karl

John Renzetti
06-10-2005, 9:05 AM
Hi Steve, Great story. Your father is a very youthful looking 80yr old.
take care,
John

John Miliunas
06-10-2005, 5:40 PM
I'm not sure how the adoption process works....but if you ever were able to meet him, he'd not mind one bit if you called him "Dad"...so Larry you and Keith live close by, give it a try and see what happens! John (Miliunas)Ash, you got an inside edge too, he is a Huge Packer fan....got tickets to Lambeau?;)
Thanks again.

Dad obviously has very, VERY good taste, in more ways than one!:D Sadly, Packer tickets to Lambeau are a rare commodity, at best. If I did, though, we'd be making a party of it!:) :cool:

Chris Padilla
06-10-2005, 6:47 PM
Way to go, Dad!! The Pack is all right...but I'm from Denver so.... :D :D