PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting a Nova DVR XP

Derek Voigt
12-13-2013, 7:42 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on a Nova DVR XP lathe to replace my current Midi lathe. In the short term I'm going to get an adapter to use my current chuck since they are different threads. But I was wondering what is the best chuck set to use with a lathe like this. I use all 4 sets of jaws with my current chuck but also know that it is too small to do the really large bowls. I also want a chuck that I can lock in case I need to use reverse.

Also, for out board turning 16"+ how do you hold a bowl to finish the bottom? Seems like that would be tricky.

Any advice would be great!

charlie knighton
12-13-2013, 8:05 PM
congratulations

one way chucks are good, stronghold

for outboard, find a buddy's one way or robust or powermatic and jam chuck it

Thomas Canfield
12-13-2013, 8:13 PM
I don't use a vacuum system (or plan to) but that is an option. I have not turned off the bed on my Powermatic yet (only had it for 7 years) but do plan to turn a 30"+ platter style wall hanging sometime just to say I did, plan to turn a large recess for #4 jaws and finish bottom before reversing to turn the top side.

Robert Henrickson
12-13-2013, 8:52 PM
What type of chuck do you have now?

Derek Voigt
12-13-2013, 9:44 PM
What type of chuck do you have now?

I have the Barracuda2 currently from PSI

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Derek I have been turning large bowls for many years, all of these are turned on a metal lathe where I build a outboard setup on, so that I can turn very large bowls on it, I also do not have the ways in my way, and so no tailstock either.

I have found ways to safely turn and return these pieces, so I will show some pictures on how I do things often, a picture being worth a 1000 words and often better understood as well :)

I use both the Oneway Talon, good for bowls to the 16"+ range and the Oneway Stronghold chuck to hold the very big pieces, though big rough blanks are first held on a faceplate till the outside is turned, then in the chuck.

Here a very shallow recess keeps the bowl in place with wood fingers holding it down.

277051 277052 277053 277054

Walnut bowl with wedges to keep the bowl steady, wedges are taped to the Oneway Mega Jumbo jaws.
The 3 bowl bottom was turned to have it stand on the two ridges.
277045 277046 277047 277048

Hope this helps :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Here a couple more pictures

If a bowl is not too warped I can hold the recess as is and true the outside and inside of the bowl and flatten the top of the rim as here was done, and then true up the recess and then do the rest of the turning.

277061 277062 277063 277064

Some bowls warp much more and unequally, i then have to use other ways to center and adjust the bowl, extreme cases here :) :eek:, HTH

277057 277058 277059 277060

Leo Van Der Loo
12-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Thomas I do have a vacuum system, but hardly ever use it, though it can be used on nicely round bowls and platters, the sideway hold isn't high, as you could maybe not pull it off the chuck, you can slide it off center, holding rough turned pieces that have warped is a lot harder to do if at all possible for the wobble and leakage, so I normally use the options as I show in the pictures in this post :)

Thomas Canfield
12-14-2013, 8:33 PM
Thanks Leo for the posting here. I raised the question on your Siberian Elm Post about holding for finishing the bottoms. You method looks somewhat similar to a donut chuck except you are using wedges and clamps. Good post and helpful.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-15-2013, 1:28 PM
Thanks Leo for the posting here. I raised the question on your Siberian Elm Post about holding for finishing the bottoms. You method looks somewhat similar to a donut chuck except you are using wedges and clamps. Good post and helpful.

Found the other ???, Thomas only in extreme cases do I use the other ways of holding the piece shown in the picture above, normally I use the Oneway chuck and the Oneway Mega Jumbo jaws, I also have made extensions for the Mega Jumbo Jaws so that I can hold larger pieces than the 15" accommodated by the Mega Jumbo Jaws, if I have doubts on the hold I do add to the hold by using the bungee cords, or plastic wrap, as these will give me a better and safer hold.

Sofar I have not made a donut chuck, but might one day it that's what is called for :) 277182

Darryl Hansen
12-15-2013, 3:31 PM
Dr0eek, go to the teknatool web site teknatool.com. Go to odering on line and reconditioned. You can get a Super Nova 2 chuck (my favorite) reconditonel by Teknatool for about $110. Can't beat it and will handle almost everything that the DVR can manage. To finish the bottom of the bowl try a jam chuck until you can afford a vacuum chuck.

Lee Reep
12-15-2013, 3:33 PM
I am looking at possibly upgrading in the next year to a Nova DVR XP. You don't really have to look any further than Nova for chucks. I have the Nova G3 and the Nova Midi, and about 8 or so sets of jaws. I just recently bought their pen blank drilling jaws, a 2 jaw set that enable square stock to be easily held for drilling on the lathe. My midi lathe has 1"X8 threads, but the G3 has an insert, so I could go to the DVR XP (1.25"x8) with an insert change available from Nova. My Midi chuck is 1"X8 only, so it would not be usable on the DVR XP, unless an adapter is available, and it may very well be. But whether I kept my Rikon midi or sold it, the Nova Midi chuck would probably jsut stay with it.

Darryl Hansen
12-15-2013, 3:34 PM
oops Derek, also missed you wanted to finish the bottom of a 16" bowl. Tough to do on the outboard unit unless you do use the recessed bottom as suggested.

Sid Matheny
12-15-2013, 5:00 PM
I use the NOVA vacuum adapter on my DVR-XP and really like it. A few folks say they don't hold well but mine does a great job.

Sid

Leo Van Der Loo
12-15-2013, 8:15 PM
Sid vacuum pressure only holds in one direction, and holds well in that direction if the chuck surface is rather large , sideways there is only the slip resistance between the two faces (chuck and wood) and that can be very little, depending how much or how little the resistance is, like a slippery face would slide easily and a slip resistant rubber or the like would be much harder to slide.

My experience tells me trying to turn a warped platter where the tool contact is only on the high spots and where the wood can wobble because of the warping, that you easily have the turning shift, not a good thing.

Now if only turning away a tenon on a returned piece, that should be no problem especially if you can use the tailstock, on turning outboard without the help of a tailstock it can become dicey, and the reason I don't trust a vacuum chuck to do the job, as I can count the times a piece come loose on my lathe on one hand, I want to keep it that way :)