PDA

View Full Version : Knotty Pine T&G, using shellac but want more shine?

Chad S Fisher
12-13-2013, 5:00 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post and introduction so please be easy on me as a newb. I have been google searching this subject and got a few hits from this site so I am hoping to get more insight from the more experienced than myself crowd.

I am finishing the basement and bought 450 sticks of the 1x8x 8ft Knotty Pine T&G. From reading posts I have tested with the Zinsser Clear Shellac. By the 3rd coat and sanding I have a really nice finish. I would like a little brighter of a finish, something like a liquid glass or clear coat look.

1.) Is the Shellac going to be the best sealer and base to stop from yellowing?

2.) What options for a brighter finish or am I asking to much?

3.) How long will this hold up threw the years.

Thanks in advance

John TenEyck
12-13-2013, 6:52 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Shellac will be high gloss if you apply enough coats to completely seal the wood and build a thin film. However, you do not want to build up a thick layer with shellac, or you risk problems in the future. Also, shellac will not prevent the wood from aging, and your pine will age to that classic mellow orange over the next 5 to 10 years. So if you want a high gloss finish and you want to minimize future color change, I would switch to something like General Finishes Hi Performance Poly, or Clear Poly. First, however, I would apply a 1# cut of dewaxed shellac, something like Zinsser Sealcoat, then apply the topcoat. Both those GF products are water based, and go on beautifully by spraying or with a foam brush. Both are far more durable than shellac, and you can apply as many coats as you like w/o worry of future problems.

John

Rich Engelhardt
12-14-2013, 6:54 AM
+1 to what John says.

Even w/out putting something on top of the shellac, the shellac itself should hold up fine for 50 or 60 years.

There's tens of thousands of houses in the NE Ohio area built just after the end of WWII that still have the original pine & birch cabinets and pine trim that was finished with just shellac, that are still in fine shape.

Chad S Fisher
12-15-2013, 1:35 PM
Bought the GF product. Beautiful finish! Thanks for the tips!