PDA

View Full Version : So it looks like I need to finally replace my ULS 25ER

Kay Bengtson
12-13-2013, 4:11 PM
As the subject says, I am probably done with this unit. It was cutting really well yesterday and then the power just trailed off to something like 10 % power. I suppose that it is the tube needing recharging again or of course it could be the power supply but my issue is that I just don't want to mess with this unit again. I considered using the Testra controller to control a glass laser tube as it is supposed to be able to do but I know that could be even more fraught with issues. I need to get a dependable unit so I can cut my model airplane kits again. I was in the middle of Christmas orders and now I have to cancel the ones I didn't get cut. I'm cash constrained so my choices aren't wide but considering the glass tube offerings, frankly, I'm lost. I have looked at Bell Laser in Seattle, Rabbit Laser, Hurricane laser, MornTechUSA, Digi- Carver, Cam Five and those units sold on Ebay. I'm sure there are even more out there like the Shenui but what is the deal with so many choices? They all look relatively the same from the specifications. Do you just go with the one closest to you?

Kay

Jerome Stanek
12-13-2013, 4:21 PM
I bought my laser from Automation technologies in Chicago. I went there and they had it in stock and I could take a unit home with me. I picked it up on Friday and started cutting the jub on Monday.

Kay Bengtson
12-13-2013, 4:36 PM
I bought my laser from Automation technologies in Chicago. I went there and they had it in stock and I could take a unit home with me. I picked it up on Friday and started cutting the jub on Monday.

That kind of thing is exactly what I would like to do which is why I am looking into Bell Laser in Seattle. They offered to buy my unit too. I still need more information on what they have but it seems that local is better than long distance sellers.

Kay

matthew knott
12-13-2013, 4:56 PM
All the Chinese machines are pretty much the same (well the cheap ones you will be looking at) so I would think as there is nothing between them then why not pick local. I have a shenui 80 watt and I'm extremely happy with it, it's replaced an epilog ext36 and the results we are getting are just as good really, we just paid to have the epilog re gassed but then the encoder strip wore out, so now it's sitting in a corner as the shenui arrived, it's on my 'to fix' list! I would think for what your doing a new laser with more power will be better anyway! Good luck

Mark Sipes
12-13-2013, 5:24 PM
Might give these folks a call

Northwest Laser Systems
19219 - 68th Avenue South, Suite M-105
Kent, WA 98032
(877) 623-1342
tim@nwlasers.com

Kay Bengtson
12-17-2013, 2:51 PM
I have looked into several Chinese laser distributor companies and found that the reputation of some is really bad and one is accused of being totally fraudulent. None of the ones I mentioned before is a viable choice. I got a quote from PhotoVac and the cost to repair the laser tube is just too high for me. They will buy the laser tube as is for $350. As a result of several days of exhaustive research, we decided to close the business. Thanks to all here at Sawmill Creek for being so helpful in these years that I was here. I don't think I would have been successful in getting my ULS to run if it weren't for your help. Many thanks and goodbye.

Kay

P.S. I didn't mean that all vendors of the Chinese lasers were bad, just the some of the ones local to me. I wish I could have afforded the Rabbit or Hurricane.

matthew knott
12-17-2013, 5:11 PM
That seems a real shame Kay, just looked at your website and you have some lovely and unusual stuff, and looks like you have a good customer base,
Are you positive its the tube is dead, an optic going bad or getting dirty has the same effect.
Does it have to be you that cuts the kits, is sub-ing it out to someone not an option till you can get a new one.
Could you not stick the ULS on ebay and use whatever you get for it to put towards a Chinese machine.

Obviously I don't know the ins & outs of your business and the reasons for closing but seems if its only a laser you need.

All the best

Matt

Kay Bengtson
12-17-2013, 5:31 PM
That seems a real shame Kay, just looked at your website and you have some lovely and unusual stuff, and looks like you have a good customer base,
Are you positive its the tube is dead, an optic going bad or getting dirty has the same effect.
Does it have to be you that cuts the kits, is sub-ing it out to someone not an option till you can get a new one.
Could you not stick the ULS on ebay and use whatever you get for it to put towards a Chinese machine.

Obviously I don't know the ins & outs of your business and the reasons for closing but seems if its only a laser you need.

All the best

Matt

It seems to be an electrical problem rather than a recharge situation according to PhotoVac. That brings into question the power supply and even the controller. I'm not set up to diagnose that. I did such things in the past but I can't see very well now to get down into the guts of it and measure voltages etc. Cataracts. I need help even to take the darn tube off the machine. At any rate, the issue is moot, I can't afford to keep renting my shop space with no income. I lost my Christmas sales to boot which puts more pressure on it. This year has been really difficult with a severe downturn before during and after the government shutdown. That and other financial pressures draining my reserves so I am cash strapped and that ended it. Basically, the thing went down at the exact moment it could hurt me most. My luck. As for subbing it out. I did that for seven years but now the going rates are so high that I'd pay more than I get for the kits even without the wood.

Kay

matthew knott
12-17-2013, 5:39 PM
Thats a real shame Kay, is the business maybe worth something? It would take a long time and alot of hard work to create a a business like yours, I bet someone would love to get hold of it, just a thought. Hope everything works out for you !!

Kay Bengtson
12-17-2013, 5:54 PM
Thats a real shame Kay, is the business maybe worth something? It would take a long time and alot of hard work to create a a business like yours, I bet someone would love to get hold of it, just a thought. Hope everything works out for you !!

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, it was twelve years in the making. But people aren't building kits much anymore. They buy prebuilt cheap Almost Ready to Fly models (ARFs) from China. The demographics is against me too. Mostly my customers are Baby Boomers and they are getting cash strapped too so they will build from their stash of kits that they bought from me years ago. So that prospect alone not only makes the projected sales low but the ability to offer the designs for sale for a non humiliating price.

Kay

Gary Hair
12-17-2013, 6:20 PM
As a result of several days of exhaustive research, we decided to close the business.

I'm sorry to hear this Kay. My offer to help is still open if you change your mind. Eugene is just a short 90 miles from Portland.

Gary

Dan Hintz
12-17-2013, 8:34 PM
Shame you're not closer, Kay, else I could take a look at it for you...