PDA

View Full Version : My cordless drill/batteries work all of a sudden

Stefan Antwarg
06-08-2005, 10:29 PM
You may remember from http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20797 that my Ryobi cordless drill stopped working because the batteries wouldn't charge. So after a few days of checking the batteries and getting advice here, I just went and bought a nice new DeWalt. So tonight I look at my battery charger and no longer are the lights flashing. The light that says "fully charged" is solid. I put the battery in and it works just like it always had. Put the other battery in the charger and it appears to be charging as normal.

This is odd!

Stefan

John Hart
06-08-2005, 10:30 PM
They got jealous of the Dewalt!!:eek:

Randy Meijer
06-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Your wife ain't going to believe that story!!!:D :D

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Possibly a short in the chargers cord or the charger is just messed up internally?? Heck if if is just the charger, see if you can pick up a new charger on Ebay. No hurry you already have a new drill but if you can get a new charger for 20.00 it would be worth it to have your trusty 12V around for another year or so.

Corey

Jerry Olexa
06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
I agree w both John and Randy...Simple case of DeWalt envy and I agree, your wife won't believe your latest excuse errrr..story to get a new tool..

Stefan Antwarg
06-09-2005, 5:53 AM
Yeah - I told my wife about it and she just gave me a sarcastic "uha". It doesn't matter though - I wear the pants around here!

Stefan

Bill Lewis
06-09-2005, 6:50 AM
It doesn't matter though - I wear the pants around here!
Stefan
Sure, I bet you say that all of the time when she's not around.:D:D :D

John Hart
06-09-2005, 6:54 AM
Yeah - I told my wife about it and she just gave me a sarcastic "uha". It doesn't matter though - I wear the pants around here!

Stefan

"uha"...yeah, me too. Whenever she lets me borrow them!:D

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 8:30 AM
Sounds like the charger was the broken link. Even the newer chargers are somewhat fragile. Bosch makes a new brute tough drill that can be dropped off a 5 story building and still work. However, their chargers are not very rugged. I haven't had one go on me, but I Have heard of a few people needing theirs replaced. Bosch sent one out free of charge.

Long story short, check to see if you can find a new charger, sounds like the batts are fine.

Charlie Plesums
06-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I have found chargers are cranky if the contacts are the slightest bit dirty... even the oil from a finger print seems to sometimes interfere. Try wiping both the battery and charger with a cloth... shortly after it is too late to return the new drill.

Don Baer
06-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I found that the contacts corrode over time in most chargers with time. Heck even chargers for cordless phones have this problem. The corrosion acts as an insulator. The best way to clean them is with a pencil eraser.

Or like you didi, you can just buy anther tool.:D

Stefan Antwarg
06-09-2005, 5:49 PM
Well, the real issue now is if I should return the Dewalt, sell the Ryobi, or keep both. I am not such a heavy DIY'er or woodworker that I see the need for 2 drills.

Stefan

Don Baer
06-09-2005, 5:53 PM
What don't need two drill's don't ever let my wife hear you say that. Yikes.

I usualy keep two of them busy when I'm doing screw work. One for the pilot drill and one for the screw driver. Then I don't need to keep changing things.

I'm sort of a drill junkey. I have 2 corded ones and three corless ones.
Oh and 2 CS's also one for ripping and one for cross cutting. So I don't have to change blades.

Per Swenson
06-09-2005, 9:01 PM
Stephan,

By all means keep the drills!

This could happen at any time!

She will understand the very next project time.

I would even suggest a impact driver too, just in case.

All though I do this stuff for a living, I have 7 cordless drills.

And only two hands.

Remember one to drill one to drive.

I hope this helps.

Per

John Hart
06-09-2005, 9:27 PM
You know...you could always say, "here honey, this is your very own drill!":rolleyes: (the Ryobi of course)

Randy Meijer
06-10-2005, 2:16 AM
As I remember the original post, the Ryobi is 5 or 6 years old?? That being the case, even though the batteries seem to be working now, chances are they won't be working much longer. I'd keep both drills.....you would be surprised at how handy it is to have a second drill, You could even use it as a loner and not have to be so concerned about having it damaged or lost or out of pocket when you need it!!!

Keith Hooks
06-10-2005, 10:25 AM
You know...you could always say, "here honey, this is your very own drill!":rolleyes: (the Ryobi of course)

Hahahaha! That's brilliant! :)

Gary Lange
06-10-2005, 12:41 PM
You can go to home Depot and pick up a charger.

Jim Andrew
06-12-2005, 12:15 AM
I find that if you leave old batteries laying around for a while, they will work
again for a while. They are still not new. Jim

Bill Esposito
06-12-2005, 8:17 AM
If you didnt get a great price on the DeWalt I'd say to return it. Then take your time and do some shopping.