PDA

View Full Version : Had experience with a Ring Master?

Ron Jones near Indy
06-08-2005, 10:26 PM
I am considering purchasing a used Ring Master for my ShopSmith. Has anyone used one either on a ShopSmith or with another power source? They seem to be fairly simple to use. But I keep telling myself that if they were really great, they would be more common. The projects on the web site seem to be nice, but that is to be expected. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of response I get from this post. It should be somewhat revealing as to the popularity and utility of the unit.

Michael Ballent
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
I only have seen it in a demo... Looks like a neat system, but it pretty pricey considering that you can probably buy a lathe for the same price and then you can even do spindle work.

Maurice Ungaro
06-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I've seen one in use, and the products made with one. Kinda neat, but also kinda limiting in the look of the finished product - everything is laminated. As for maximizing the wood, I suppose it's good for that, since you're not wasting all the inner material.

Mike Cutler
06-09-2005, 7:33 PM
I've never seen one or used one, but the following thread should help ya' out a bit; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20981

Ron Jones near Indy
06-09-2005, 7:47 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I have the ShopSmith and it serves as a descent lathe. I'm a little intrigued by the laminations. Seems like good planing could go a long way with it. I saw the thread with the copper boxes. That's what made me consider trying to find a good used Ring Master. I'll give more time before making a decision. :confused: I would really like to hear from someone who has used one on a ShopSmith for the laminated turnings.