PDA

View Full Version : Chain Saw Questions

Joe Pack
05-17-2003, 11:32 PM
I have pretty good access to timber, but no chain saw to cut with. I'm not planning to go into the firewood business, just cutting for bowl blanks. I have seen the Lowe's/HD saws (Poulan, HomeLite, Echo) all the way to the high end Stihl saws, but I don't really know what I'm comparing other than weight and ci. What should I be looking for (pro and con) in a chain saw to cut bowl blanks from already downed timber?

Anthony Yakonick
05-18-2003, 12:10 AM
There is no replacement for displacement, you'll be happy with a Husky or Sthil forever.

Anthony

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-18-2003, 6:58 AM
Anthony said it best, either of the saws he mentioned would be the best bang for the buck. Great saws, they start when YOU want them to, not when they decide they want to run, and with the use you intend, they will last forever. Either Husky or Stihl, with at least an 18 inch bar, will probably cut anything you care to haul out of the woods. Personally, I have always used Stihl Saws, at one time commercially, and now just for firewood, and Stihl has never let me down. I know several guys in the tree business that use either Husky or Stihl, and they have no complaints with them. You can spend less, but you will sacrifice reliability and power.................not to mention the starting and running problems that seem to be the demon of chainsaws. Good Luck, and use it safely.........Chainsaws bite HARD! ;)

Joe Tonich
05-18-2003, 7:03 AM
I have a Stihl 025 that I'm very happy with. Hasn't bogged down on anything I've cut yet.:) I had a Craftsman that died on me and it really didn't see much use. I'd spend the bucks for a good one. I figure the Stihl will be the last one I buy.

Joe

Jim Becker
05-18-2003, 10:51 AM
From my experience, the "home center" saws just don't hold up, even for casual use. That being said, Lowes now carries Husqevarna in several models appropriate for your use. Your local Stihl dealer has similar offerings. And...the cost difference isn't all that great, while the quality difference is huge.

I own and use a Stihl .029 "Farm Boss" with an 18" bar. It's a wonderful tool for general all-around property maintenance and cutting up turning blanks. I also recently bought a Remmington electric to keep in the shop for quick work on turning blanks and to shorten too-long firewood without pulling out the gas saw.

Stan Smith
05-18-2003, 1:38 PM
I've had a few craftsman saws---don't waste your money on any of them. I've had a Stihl 009-commercial for a few years now and nary a problem with it. I took off the 16" bar and replaced it with a 12" bar at the suggestion of a gardener. Man, that little saw cuts through stuff like butter! That being said, if you don't have to be mobile, you could get yourself a good electric saw (husky or stihl). My neighbor had one that he uses to cut some pretty big turning blocks. Richard Raffan sez he uses an electric in the shop also. However, a gas powered saw allows you to use it anywhere. Stay away from Homelite ,ect... A little Stihl will last you as long as you need it.

Stan

Joe Pack
05-18-2003, 8:15 PM
I appreciate your help.

John Davidson
05-18-2003, 9:53 PM
I went through the same thing last year after my 13 year old Poulan 3300 died. As everone has mentioned, it comes down to Stihl and Husky. I went with a Stihl 390, new version of the 039. It was the biggest saw that I felt comfortable with and my local dealer priced it better than the comparable Husky. I feel sure that I would have been just as happy with Husky if the price had been right. When it comes to cutting turning wood the 390 makes quick work of it.

Rob Russell
05-18-2003, 10:10 PM
I bought a used Stihl 044 from a local sales/service shop. It had been gone through by their service guy and has done everything I've ever needed. It may be a bit big for what you want, but the point I want to make is that the place to buy something like a chainsaw - to me - is from a shop that sells and services saws for the pros. If the guys who depend on their saws and other landscaping equipment trust a place - that's where I want to go.

Either a Stihl or Husky would be a great saw.

FYI, some of the older Craftsman saws were made by Poulan and were great saws.

Anthony Yakonick
05-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Remember Poulan and Husky are made in the some factory and have some interchangeable parts on some models.

Rob Russell
05-19-2003, 7:07 AM
One other point - practice safe sawing.

Chainsaws are dangerous - there's no "can be" about it. My uncle used saws for years and still had a saw buck on him. If you've never used a saw, or it's been a long time since you have, spend time at the saw store and have them run through how to use the saw. They will likely have some scrap log blanks and can show you how to handle a saw safely.

Buy and wear face and ear protection. Whether you want to wear chaps is up to you. For cutting a bowl blank here and there, I probably wouldn't - although the older I get the more safety conscious I get. It may look funny to be cutting a little bit of stuff with Pro grade safety gear on, but it's a lot less funny looking than crutches or prothetics.

Learn how to sharpen your chain. A dull chain saw is far more dangerous than a sahrp one - yo have to push the saw to cut and that's asking for trouble. A sharp chain cuts faster too. You'll be more productive and less tired if you touch up a chain everytime before using it and during a long cutting session than letting the chain get too dull.

Michael Cody
05-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Anthony Yakonick
Remember Poulan and Husky are made in the some factory and have some interchangeable parts on some models.

Actually I am not entirely sure that is true. According to the Husqvarna web site -- though the company is owned by Electrolux & so is Poluan, Jonsred and McCulloch ... the saws are produced in Sweden. I suspect though as the web page says almost all Husqvarna equipment is produced in Sweden, the lower end saws are produced in Ark. Probably in Dequeen or Poulan's other plant. But the higher end professional saws are probably made overseas. I could be wrong though.

Interesting to note though a lot of the parts on Stihl, Husq, Poulan, etc.. saws come from the same suppliers. Most carb's for example come from Zana (a japanese company) ...

Anyway insinuating that because Poulan & Husqvarna come down the same assembly line means they are the same saws means that because B&D, Dewalt and certain Craftsman stuff come down the same line they are the same drill or router, or whatever..

It's all about spec's. Sthil & Husqvarna cost more in most places and they are better saws. You won't go wrong with either in my experience. Remember though -- new and improved means I found a way to make is cheaper and almost as good so for me I make more money on it.. hence it's new & improved as far as I am concerned.

Steven Wilson
05-20-2003, 3:14 PM
Stihl MS290 "FarmBoss" with a 20" bar. You should be able to find them on-sale right now. They normally come with an 18" bar but your dealer will swap it out for a couple of bucks more.

Jim Becker
05-20-2003, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by Steven Wilson
Stihl MS290 "FarmBoss" with a 20" bar. You should be able to find them on-sale right now. They normally come with an 18" bar but your dealer will swap it out for a couple of bucks more.

Have they changed the specs? When I bought my Farm Boss about a year and a half ago, the standard bar was 16"...and I upgraded to 18". But it sure will handle the 20" bar no problem, IMHO, as it kicks butt with the 18" bar!

Anthony Yakonick
05-20-2003, 7:06 PM
Originally posted by Michael Cody
Actually I am not entirely sure that is true. According to the Husqvarna web site -- though the company is owned by Electrolux & so is Poluan, Jonsred and McCulloch ... the saws are produced in Sweden. I suspect though as the web page says almost all Husqvarna equipment is produced in Sweden, the lower end saws are produced in Ark. Probably in Dequeen or Poulan's other plant. But the higher end professional saws are probably made overseas. I could be wrong though.

Interesting to note though a lot of the parts on Stihl, Husq, Poulan, etc.. saws come from the same suppliers. Most carb's for example come from Zana (a japanese company) ...

Anyway insinuating that because Poulan & Husqvarna come down the same assembly line means they are the same saws means that because B&D, Dewalt and certain Craftsman stuff come down the same line they are the same drill or router, or whatever..

It's all about spec's. Sthil & Husqvarna cost more in most places and they are better saws. You won't go wrong with either in my experience. Remember though -- new and improved means I found a way to make is cheaper and almost as good so for me I make more money on it.. hence it's new & improved as far as I am concerned.

Your right I should have said low end saws. I understand the specs part of it but do you think Joe Worker does a better job on Huskys? Does Joe Quality Checker close one eye when checking the Poulans? I have worked on Ford Lincoln and Mercurys at two different dealerships for twenty years, Lincolns are just Fords with more fluf the working parts are the same, engines, transmissions and the electronics. One other note you might find amusing a few years ago our Snap-On tool man came in with the "new" power screwdriver on closer inspection we found the name "Black and Decker" showing through the red Snap-On paint and name. My thoughts on that, Snap-On bought from B&D and had them painted. BTW I own a Poulan 38cc and a Husky 362xp with a pro chain, the Poulan sits and the Husky works. Bottom line is you get what you pay for a $200 saw is about the same no matter who makes it.

Thanks, Anthony

Jeff Cybulski
05-20-2003, 9:05 PM
I've had a 16" Poulan for 4 years. Use it about 10 hrs. a year and have had no problems. Starts everytime and cuts as well as any other with a sharp blade. For the average homeowner I can't see spending big bucks on a Husky or Stihl.

jeff

Jim Baker
05-21-2003, 10:18 PM
My dad and I have had Poulan saws for years and have had fine luck with them.

I think that for only occasional use anything that runs and has a sharp chain should be fine. I would give serious consideration to whatever brand my favorite small engine shop sells so I would have easier access to parts and repairs in the future.