PDA

View Full Version : I dislike the term "Neanderthal."

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2013, 7:55 PM
Why not "Traditional Woodworker" or even "Old School?" "Neanderthal" makes us sound like dinosaurs. I'm still a Youngblood; I just prefer to enjoy the handwork of woodworking as opposed to buzzing through and slinging sawdust.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2013, 8:27 PM
I've never felt "put down" by the term "Neanderthal". The first time I heard it, I though it was kind of funny. Most of the people I know who work with hand tools wear the name with pride.

Mike

Patrick Harper
12-12-2013, 8:29 PM
I prefer Cro Magnon.

Judson Green
12-12-2013, 8:39 PM
knuckle dragging neanderthal. I don't mind it and I'm youngish. Don't really know what it means though... anybody got a rule book?

Mel Fulks
12-12-2013, 8:52 PM
Henceforth Malcolm is Neanderthal emeritus . Hope that helps.

Zach Dillinger
12-12-2013, 9:14 PM
I just turned 30 and I like the term...

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2013, 9:19 PM
Henceforth Malcolm is Neanderthal emeritus . Hope that helps.

I prefer to use my full title: "The Great and Knowledgeable Neanderthal Emeritus" (of course followed by all members shouting in unison, "All Hail the King.")

Jason Beam
12-12-2013, 9:22 PM
Why put so much power in a word on its own without the context of it's use?

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2013, 9:27 PM
Original post edited to remove the word "seriously," intended with some sarcasm. Don't take it entirely too seriously.

Patrick, I agree- Cro Magnon has a nice ring to it.

Mel Fulks
12-12-2013, 9:49 PM
When I was a kid my Mom told me about a relative who as a young man received a bite on his face from a hog. For the rest of his life he was called Hog Face or Hog Jaw. Country folk. So, you never know how well off you are ....

Mike Brady
12-12-2013, 11:59 PM
My sig on another forum for many years has been: "Help stamp out galoot and neander in our time".

Ron Bontz
12-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Interesting thoughts. The Neanderthal was actually capable of sharpening a spear as sharp as a modern day surgical scalpel. No wonder we are so obsessed with sharpening our plane irons. It's in our genes. :)

Jack Curtis
12-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Neanderthals and dinosaurs did NOT coexist, the latter dying off about 65 million years before Neanderthals ever existed.

maximillian arango
12-13-2013, 1:19 AM
Although I am still a super noob(just bought my first set of chisels) I strive to reach the point at which I can be considered a Neanderthal and at the age of 22 I need more than just 15 minutes to save money on my car insurance.

Bruce Haugen
12-13-2013, 3:08 AM
Malcolm, I don't know if you know the history, but the use of "Neanderthal" to describe hand tool afficianados dates back to the early days of rec.woodworking on usenet. It was originally intended to be a disparaging term, but those of us who like hand tools picked it up as a badge of honor.

Shawn Pixley
12-13-2013, 7:54 AM
Maybe we should refer to ourselves as "clovis"?

Brian Myers
12-13-2013, 8:02 AM
knuckle dragging neanderthal
This has a nice ring to it.

Adam Cruea
12-13-2013, 8:12 AM
I think it describes my mindset very well.

I'm highly suspicious of new things, I really don't like social situations, and while intelligent, not so much in a conventional way.

It's better than being called an electron-killer. :p

Matthew N. Masail
12-13-2013, 8:21 AM
I find it raw, earthy and grounding, just like the feeling I get working wood by hand, I'm 26.

I see how it can be taken as an insult, but which one of these would you rather be....? (I know it's not the last and I try to avoid becoming the one before that... hmm...)

Metod Alif
12-13-2013, 8:22 AM
I thought that 'neanderthal' is for the folks who accumulate hand tools but not the skills to use them...which means that they need even more hand tools.
Metod

Matthew N. Masail
12-13-2013, 8:23 AM
double.........

Sean Hughto
12-13-2013, 8:23 AM
If the shoe fits ...
http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1987568,00.html

Malcolm Schweizer
12-13-2013, 9:52 AM
Malcolm, I don't know if you know the history, but the use of "Neanderthal" to describe hand tool afficianados dates back to the early days of rec.woodworking on usenet. It was originally intended to be a disparaging term, but those of us who like hand tools picked it up as a badge of honor.

Ahhhh- I like this!!!

Michael Ray Smith
12-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Turns out modern humans have something like 1-4% Neanderthal genes. Embrace your heritage!

Judson Green
12-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Bump 4 Clovis

Tom Vanzant
12-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Malcolm, thank you for merely disliking "Neanderthal". In this PC-besotted time, if you had been offended, we'd have to change the name of the forum.

lowell holmes
12-13-2013, 10:38 AM

I kind of miss the "Rec", or as some times known as the "wreck".

That's where you saw such terms as "DAHIK", "IMO", "IMHO", and the one I liked best "SWMBO".

Zach Dillinger
12-13-2013, 11:08 AM

That's where you saw such terms as "DAHIK", "IMO", "IMHO", and the one I liked best "SWMBO".

The Old Tools List (aka the Porch) has one that I find particularly droll... FOYBIPO. I am a proud member of that particular order.

Simon MacGowen
12-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Why not "Traditional Woodworker" or even "Old School?" "Neanderthal" makes us sound like dinosaurs. I'm still a Youngblood; I just prefer to enjoy the handwork of woodworking as opposed to buzzing through and slinging sawdust.

Not young myself, but I never use that term in any discussions or conversations with my woodworking friends. If I want to emphasize my interest in hand-tool woodworking, I use adjectives like "traditional" or "hand-tool." Why use a term not every woodworker understands when there are better ones that exist. The word is hardly seen in any woodworking print magazines...how many times has it been used and seen in FW, PW, etc.? I wonder if editors like its use at all.

Of course, what really matters is what we do with our hands and tools and not the label we bestow on ourselves.

Simon

lowell holmes
12-13-2013, 11:30 AM
The Old Tools List (aka the Porch) has one that I find particularly droll... FOYBIPO. I am a proud member of that particular order.

I'm not familiar with that one. Pray tell, interpret it for us.

Michael Ray Smith
12-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Too North-America-centric. What about our friends from Oz and other places?

Zach Dillinger
12-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm not familiar with that one. Pray tell, interpret it for us.

But that would spoil the fun....

Ok, fine. At first glance, it appears to be rather pejorative, but it is said in good humor. FOYBIPO stands for: Fraternal Order of Yuppie "Bastahd" Infill Plane Owners. You know, those yuppies for whom the dirt common Stanley planes aren't good enough.

Jack Curtis
12-13-2013, 11:56 AM

Don't know about Oz, but I think there's some evidence that the Clovis points were developed in Europe.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Malcolm, thank you for merely disliking "Neanderthal". In this PC-besotted time, if you had been offended, we'd have to change the name of the forum.

That's funny! No need to worry here. To your point, however, I often read posts two or three times making sure there is nothing someone might take the wrong way before posting. I hate that I do that. I really need to start being more offensive.

Jim Belair
12-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Oz? Geez, I'm from North America and had to look up clovis in Wikipedia.

Bruce Haugen
12-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Ok, fine. At first glance, it appears to be rather pejorative, but it is said in good humor. FOYBIPO stands for: Fraternal Order of Yuppie "Bastahd" Infill Plane Owners. You know, those yuppies for whom the dirt common Stanley planes aren't good enough.

But the cool thing about that term is that it was coined by the Leachmeister himself!

george wilson
12-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Clovis is in France. As for Neandertal,I never gave it any thought. I have a friend who is really hung up on certain words,though. "dollop" is one. He has a long list of other words,but I can't think of any right now. Oh,"deploy" is another.

As for me,I don't like the 17th. C. spelling of peas: PEASE.

maximillian arango
12-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Turns out modern humans have something like 1-4% Neanderthal genes. Embrace your heritage!

I may be one of the youngest people here but being 50 years ago my grandparents lived in as part as a tribe in colombia I feel that I should have more Neanderthal genes. I'm gonna have to going to the grocery store with a spear.

Dale Cruea
12-13-2013, 1:15 PM
It does not matter what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner.

Sorry, could not pass that one up.:)

Edward Mitton
12-13-2013, 1:17 PM
I wear the term proudly...referring to myself in such terms when conversing with other woodworkers. 'Neander is even part of my NT Log -on at work. I also embrace the term 'Galoot', employ the phrase 'Use The Schwarz, Luke!', and regard "St. Roy' with utmost reverence.

Pat Barry
12-13-2013, 2:46 PM
Since we review to Roy Underhill as Sir Roy, I think we should take to using his term of Woodwright. It is far more appropriate than the dated Neanderthal term. Neanderthals couldn't build anything at all.

Stew Hagerty
12-13-2013, 3:36 PM

Or in Non-Neanderthal circles it would be FOYBFTO

Stew Hagerty
12-13-2013, 3:37 PM
That's funny! No need to worry here. To your point, however, I often read posts two or three times making sure there is nothing someone might take the wrong way before posting. I hate that I do that. I really need to start being more offensive.

Yes, we're in the ere of reverse democracy. One person (or a small group of people) decides how we have to do things.

Stew Hagerty
12-13-2013, 3:41 PM
I may be one of the youngest people here but being 50 years ago my grandparents lived in as part as a tribe in colombia I feel that I should have more Neanderthal genes. I'm gonna have to going to the grocery store with a spear.

No a good idea. Being of Scottish descent, I wore my kilt into a store with my Claymore strapped to my back and, after getting lots and lots of stares, the manager came and, from a notably safe distance, asked me to either check my weapon at the front desk or leave his store.

Stew Hagerty
12-13-2013, 3:42 PM
Since we review to Roy Underhill as Sir Roy, I think we should take to using his term of Woodwright. It is far more appropriate than the dated Neanderthal term. Neanderthals couldn't build anything at all.

Hmmm, I always refer to him as Uncle Roy.

Dave Kirby
12-13-2013, 4:16 PM
I would prefer the term "Woodwright". Call it a little 'homage' to our good old friend Roy Underhill!

glenn bradley
12-13-2013, 4:22 PM
When I was a kid my Mom told me about a relative who as a young man received a bite on his face from a hog. For the rest of his life he was called Hog Face or Hog Jaw. Country folk. So, you never know how well off you are ....

That is a good, positive way to think about it. When I recall the names we called each other in high school . . . . **whew**.

Ron Kellison
12-13-2013, 4:55 PM
Clovis is in France. As for Neandertal,I never gave it any thought. I have a friend who is really hung up on certain words,though. "dollop" is one. He has a long list of other words,but I can't think of any right now. Oh,"deploy" is another.

As for me,I don't like the 17th. C. spelling of peas: PEASE.

Spelling be damned! I'm all for pease in our time!.

Brian Holcombe
12-13-2013, 5:06 PM
I like fancy tools, I practically had to lock myself out of my iPad to prevent buying a lie Nielsen bronze/cocobolo shoulder plane.

Judge me not lest ye be judged!!

Billy McCarthy
12-13-2013, 5:48 PM
I'm definitely a Neanderthal when it comes to woodworking. You should see the gaps in my joints, but after enough whacking with a mallet, things come together.

Jim Leslie
12-13-2013, 6:10 PM
I also embrace the term 'Galoot'

Part of my email address is "galoot@..."
I see my self as a cordless tool enthusiast.

Stew Hagerty
12-13-2013, 6:26 PM
Well, I have thought of a totally new and unique word to describe myself. I love working with wood and creating things for my family & friends; I really like the gratification that I get from using hand tools, both new and vintage; and I appreciate the usefulness that power tools add to the mix.

From this point on I want to be known as: Drum roll......................

A "Woodworker"

Well, what do you all think? Doesn't it sing?

Mel Fulks
12-13-2013, 8:09 PM
George ,All I am saying is : give pease a chance !

Mike Henderson
12-13-2013, 9:39 PM
George ,All I am saying is : give pease a chance !

Groan:)

Mike

Joe Bailey
12-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Since we review to Roy Underhill as Sir Roy, I think we should take to using his term of Woodwright.

That's interesting; when talking to layperson's, I often use the short-hand of referring to myself as a "woodwright" or "woodworker." Surprisingly, most people I encounter associate the latter with hand tool use.

Chris Parks
12-13-2013, 10:32 PM

And Ed v's the rest in the TS debates. I looked in often but never followed it closely.

Jim Koepke
12-13-2013, 11:01 PM
From this point on I want to be known as: Drum roll......................

A "Woodworker"

Interesting this thread.

I sometimes call my self a wood butcher.

The Neanderthal name doesn't bother me in this context. I would likely be offended if someone referred to me as a Neanderthal in some other setting.

More evidence is coming to light about the life of Neanderthals. They were known to build and also do a bit of house keeping.

A few thoughts come to mind such as what would it take to change the name given this little corner of the internet. One would have to remember all the links to posts in this "Haven."

Making a change of name might be an insurmountable endeavor.

Maybe if it is possible to change the name we should have a few polls to settle on a new name.

Me thinks a change at this date would cause more work than purpose.

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
12-14-2013, 3:07 AM
No a good idea. Being of Scottish descent, I wore my kilt into a store with my Claymore strapped to my back and, after getting lots and lots of stares, the manager came and, from a notably safe distance, asked me to either check my weapon at the front desk or leave his store.

I live in the Virgin Islands and they wouldn't let me on the ferry boat wearing my kilt until after much explanation.
It's a kilt!
A quilt?
No: A KILT!
Ya kyan' wear no quilt on de boat. Put some pants on. (Security guard) No- he Irish. It what they wear.
Scottish- on my mother's side, but close enough.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-14-2013, 3:34 AM
A few thoughts come to mind such as what would it take to change the name given this little corner of the internet. One would have to remember all the links to posts in this "Haven."

Making a change of name might be an insurmountable endeavor.

Maybe if it is possible to change the name we should have a few polls to settle on a new name.

Me thinks a change at this date would cause more work than purpose.

jtk

No, don't change the name. I don't like it, but like others said, make something good out of it. It was new to me in this context when I came to this forum and although I quickly figured it out, to me it is an odd choice. It was well explained in this thread that it was originally used negatively to describe us and so it was turned about as a badge of honor. I like that. I actually googled "Neanderthal Woodworker" and found it is quite widely used.

Please let's not get "Politically Correct." It's an oxymoron.

Phil Marcus
12-14-2013, 4:28 AM
i have a degree in anthropology and I rather like the term.

george wilson
12-14-2013, 9:36 AM
Pease give it a rest !!:)

Michael Ray Smith
12-14-2013, 10:44 AM
I think he was talking about a Clovis point or the Clovis culture, named after Clovis, N.M.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/northamerica/ig/Ancient-Americas-/Clovis-Spear-Point.htm

Of couse, now that I think about it, I guess "Neanderthal" is Euro-centric.

Mel Fulks
12-14-2013, 1:26 PM
i have a degree in anthropology and I rather like the term.
I've only actually studied the ones we believe had a balance disorder .... The Meanderfalls