PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW734 Rust Removal and a Moral

Russ Hauser
12-12-2013, 5:24 PM
Many months ago I posted here regarding a rust problem that was preventing me from lowering the cutter head to the lowest level. Since I live here in Florida, I suspected the rust I could see on the vertical posts was the problem. At the time, I managed to work around the problem with the use of a "sled." Today, with nothing better to do, and having to plane some thin stock again, I decided to find out what the problem is. The posts the carriage slides on were very rusted. I removed them and wire brushed the rust off as best I could and applied a couple of coats of auto wax. Upon reassembly I discovered the carriage still wouldn't lower as much as I wanted. That is when I discovered the real problem was me. In the base of the machine is a little wheel thingy that can be set to limit the carriage travel to a minimum of 0", 1/4", 1/2"or 3/4". It was set at the latter thickness. Moral is "Read the Instructions."

Russ

William C Rogers
12-12-2013, 6:50 PM
At least you got the rust off.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-12-2013, 6:55 PM
LOL. I bought a Bosch 5" RO sander, and since it replaced a 39 dollar Ryobi, I was thrilled with it's performance. One day I noticed this wheel looking thingie with the number 3. So being curious, I turned it. Hmm now it says 5. Turned it on. WHOOOOOOEEEEE!!! Wow. Oh yeah, I bought a VARIABLE speed RO sander. I don't need no stinking instructions.

Matt Day
12-12-2013, 8:22 PM
Russ - I have the same planer and did the same thing! I just leave that wheel at the lowest level all the time. Funny little story, I seem to overdue things like that as well.

Art Mann
12-12-2013, 8:45 PM
I was just over at a friend's house while he was using his drill press, which is very similar to mine. He remarked that it has two switches and he never figured out what one of them was for. I told him it was to turn the light built into the housing on and off. He told me he was considering buying a magnetic light for it so he could see the work better. He had owned the drill press for 20 years.

Thomas love
12-13-2013, 8:49 AM
thats funny Art