PDA

View Full Version : Simple plug-it cord modification allows use of non-Festool tools with dust extractor

Bob Kalb
12-12-2013, 5:11 PM
I own several non-Festool tools which I need to connect to the dust extractor and have come up with a relatively simple solution. Instead of trying to obtain a few of the plug-it pigtails (almost impossible & if successful, at great expense) or obtaining the component female plug-it part from e-kat & trying to modify your non-Festool tool to accept it, I have come up with this solution & have modified three of my tools. {Photo#1}

Using readily available midget twist-loc cord connectors & plugs from Hubbell, parts # HBL 7464V & HBL 7465V, {Photo#2}I have made interchangeable cord connections. The process is as follows -

1 - Take a Festool plug-it power cord & cut it about 15 inches from the plug-it end & install a 7465 (male plug). {Photo#3} On the remaining length of power cord install a 7464 (female cord connector). {Photo#4} Connect them together via the midget twist locs and you have a power cord that plugs into all your Festool units {Photos#5,6} and has the capability of accepting other tools fitted with a 7465 (male plug
2 - On each of your non-Festool tools, do the same, cutting the power cord approximately 10 inches or so as it leaves the tool & install a 7465 (male plug)which will allow it to be connected to the dust extraction system {Photos#7}
3 - If you desire, you can do as I did and install a 7464 (female cord connector) on each of the remaining non-Festool power tool cords to allow for individual use separate from the Festool system. {Photo#8}

This method can also be used on Festool units that were built without the plug-it feature.

johnny means
12-12-2013, 6:51 PM
Why not just plug them into the dust extractor?

Bob Kalb
12-12-2013, 7:07 PM
Why not just plug them into the dust extractor?

I have my Festool plug-it cord that came with my TS-55 attached to my extractor hose with Velcro straps to prevent tangle. The plug-it cord is 13 feet long and close in length to the hose, my non-Festool tools have cords of different lengths, all shorter than the extractor hose. Plugging those cords directly into the dust extractor would create a rats nest of hose & power cord that I would be tripping over.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2013, 8:37 PM
I have my Festool plug-it cord that came with my TS-55 attached to my extractor hose with Velcro straps to prevent tangle. The plug-it cord is 13 feet long and close in length to the hose, my non-Festool tools have cords of different lengths, all shorter than the extractor hose. Plugging those cords directly into the dust extractor would create a rats nest of hose & power cord that I would be tripping over.
I like the way you have the cord run along the dust hose. I have the cord and dust hose separate and they're always getting tangled.

And I see you kept the old cords (with a female plug added) so you can use the tools without the dust collector. Good idea.

Mike