PDA

View Full Version : older Hammer C3-41 combo , any owners? Feedback?

Craig Behnke
12-11-2013, 9:23 PM
looking at a model year 2000 Hammer C3-41 combo machine in great shape. Are there any C3-41 (or C3-31) 5in1 combo owners of that model year vintage (or close) that have any feedback on the machine. I thought I had read some reviews that one of the fences were really poor, as seen here (review of B3 saw/shaper):

I had the opportunity to use both the original "triangle" type rip fence as well as the B3L rip fence on this machine. In a nutshell, both are EXCEPTIONALLY POOR and TOTALLY UNSUITABLE for a machine in this price range (or any other for that matter). The triangle type is just down right UNSAFE. For the price and hype of this machine one would expect something of at least average quality and performance but this is not the case.

Is this an accurate review of the fence? Today, I know Hammer quality is fantastic (I have their A3-31 J/P combo) but I don't know if they were so top notch back then. I just don't know.

Any issues getting parts/service of older machines?

Any feedback appreciated.

Mike Heidrick
12-11-2013, 9:35 PM
I crawled all over a 2011 Hammer K3 and was very underwhelmed. I think they just make them to sell 700 series Felders. Its just a perspective in any review. Put your own hands on it and make up your own mind. You only have to make yourself happy in your own shop.

Harvey Miller
12-11-2013, 9:59 PM
Fine Woodworking tested the C3-31 Feb 2003. They reported several concerns, including a rip fence that flexed, with closely spaced levers that interferred with each other, and multiple quantity control issues (defective motor, damaged morticing table tracks, sliding table not level to saw table though out it's range).

Loren Woirhaye
12-11-2013, 10:15 PM
If you want to 410mm capacity it's probably worth considering. A lot depends on the style of work you do and whether you need to get paid for it. I read somewhere that expecting a Hammer slider to hold up in a pro shop is asking too much but for one person it may be a lot of machine for your money. The rip fence can be upgraded if your style of work runs to needing a better one. I have a Felder K500 short stroke slider (no scoring) bought used and it's a good machine with a precise sliding table and more than adequate power for the work I do, which runs to furniture and some casework. Most if not all 5-function combo machines are notoriously tricky to get all dialed-in and planar across the top.