PDA

View Full Version : "Aspirations"

Roger Chandler
12-11-2013, 7:42 PM

I named this form "Aspirations" because it represents some new goals I have set for myself.

My photo setup is not a good one, and it will not let me show this form in its best light.....my florescent tube lighting in the den shows the form to appear darker in color than the direct on flash allows.....a new photo booth is likely in my near future!

This of course is walnut and has that replicated in the finial. The black base and finial parts are ebonized maple.

Form is 13.25" tall and approximately 6" wide at the shoulder. I wanted to make a form with masculine shoulders.

The light reflection off the finial makes it almost look like a run in the finish, but there is not one!

This is a view from a little higher angle 276893

Hayes Rutherford
12-11-2013, 8:28 PM
Roger, I think maybe some of your best work yet. Superb!

Roger Chandler
12-11-2013, 9:18 PM
Roger, I think maybe some of your best work yet. Superb!

Thank you Hayes.......much appreciated!

Roger Chandler
12-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Well these pics frustrate me, because they do not look as good as the "in person" view in room light............I will have that problem solved in a few days............just pulled the trigger on a complete new photo tent, lights, stands and backgrounds........5600K photo lights.........should do the trick!!!

John Keeton
12-12-2013, 5:57 AM
Roger, I definitely agree with Hayes - this piece represents some major advancements for you! But, as you have noted, capturing a decent pic of a piece like this requires an adequate photo setup. That will make all the difference in the world in how this one presents. I look forward to seeing the "newly lighted" pics!

Bill Hensley
12-12-2013, 7:32 AM
Well done Roger, as John noted this is a significant step up from previous works and a fine example of aspirations being achieved.

Good luck with your new photo setup.

Jim Seyfried
12-12-2013, 8:06 AM
Very nice Roger! I really like the shape and the walnut in the finial. What type of finish is on it?

Roger Chandler
12-12-2013, 8:25 AM
Very nice Roger! I really like the shape and the walnut in the finial. What type of finish is on it?

Wipe on poly on the form an lacquer on the base and finial.

Michael Poorman
12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Nice job Roger. I especially enjoy the repetition of form in the finial. I think this always adds that extra something to a piece. I'm looking to buy a photo tent set up as well. What vendor did you go through?

Allan Ferguson
12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I really do like this one. Excellent work. Allan

Dune Crane
12-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Great piece.

Scott Hackler
12-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Nice work Roger. Your really stepping it up a notch!

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Rodger,
This is a beauty and must have been your most challenging project to date. Well done.
faust

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Well done Roger, keep getting better :)

bob svoboda
12-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Love it! Beautifully done form and I am quite fond of that finial! Good work Roger.

Roger Chandler
12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Nice job Roger. I especially enjoy the repetition of form in the finial. I think this always adds that extra something to a piece. I'm looking to buy a photo tent set up as well. What vendor did you go through?

This is the one I got, Mike.........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B8G4R8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roger Chandler
12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Nice work Roger. Your really stepping it up a notch!

Thanks Scott........you, I am sure know about the process........refining skills and a lot of that is done on things that are not posted, but nevertheless, are where development occurs. I have had the skills for some time, I think, but have never put them all together in one turning the way I have done here.

While, I probably have posted this a bit prematurely........being in that I am getting a new photo setup, which should allow me to show my work in a much more professional way, and the fact that I am not sure at this point if I am through with the finishing process. I may do a little more refinement on that form as far as the finish goes........stay tuned! ;)

Marc Himes
12-12-2013, 1:27 PM
Very nice work Roger. The form base and finial fit well together.

Roger Chandler
12-12-2013, 3:23 PM
Much appreciation to all of you who have replied to this one, so far. I appreciate the kudos and the encouragement! There were too many to reply to each individual one, but please know that I am sincere in my appreciation for your comments and encouragement! :)

charlie knighton
12-12-2013, 4:04 PM
like the overall form, like the two pieces in final, just me, its way to shiney

Roger Chandler
12-12-2013, 4:55 PM
like the overall form, like the two pieces in final, just me, its way to shiney

On some things, Charlie........I think a glossy finish is called for.......a formal art piece like this one.........well, I think it suits it just fine. Now for a utilitarian piece.........I like a more matted finish as well! Thanks man, I appreciate it! :)

Roger Chandler
12-14-2013, 7:31 AM
well, my photo setup arrived yesterday........one of the bulbs was broken in shipping....:( Bummer! I tried a pic with one light and red and white backgrounds..........lets just say that I have some more work to do ........there is a learning curve!

Jim Seyfried
12-14-2013, 8:08 AM
Roger, repost this when you get your new photo setup and post a pic of the photo setup (i'd like to check that out too). If you don't mind. Thanks.

Paul Engle
12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree with your assesment of the gloss ... I think you are " on " , and I like the finals treatment of the two woods and look fwd to trying one myself !

Peter Blair
12-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Great piece Roger.
Not sure if you want to but if I was you I'd check out the photo information the John Lucas has provided in several locations.
I have a tent similar to the one pointed at above but am now experimenting with a 'light box'. Not as expensive or bulky. Can be set up and taken down or moved easily. Not only that the cost to equip as he suggests is not 'over the top".
I am no where near the photographer that many are but would like to play a little more with natural and bounce lighting. The new set-up will allow me a lot more flexibility.

David C. Roseman
12-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Late to the accolades here, Roger, but I agree that this piece is superb! Just started turning finials on lidded box tops myself. You've added to the inspiration that Scott and others have already provided. :)

David