PDA

View Full Version : Tablet for Christmas

Pat Barry
12-11-2013, 7:19 PM
I am looking for input. Here are my three choices for a tablet computer. Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Jelly Bean, Ipad Air Retina, I Pad Mini Retina - OK its four I guess, I just can't decide. I have flip flopped back and forth and my personal favorite is the Samsung Galaxy Tab, not the Note, the Tab.
Details - this is for my wife to use in place of a laptop - uses are for web surfing primarily. She is artistic and I envision she could use the touch screen as a drawing tablet. I don't forsee a lot of heavy duty gaming taking place - maybe the angry birds whatever that is. She doesn't have an I Phone and neither do I. I am on the fence with regard to using something like Verizon wireless 4G for data transfer - That might be a good thing for travel usage. If she has actual typing to do then we always have the laptop with a real keyboard.

So, for those of you making a similar decision now or who have made a similar decision recently, what did you opt for?

Again, here are the choices: Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Ipad Air, Ipad Mini

So, which one of these is your personal favorite and why?

Thanks for you help

John McClanahan
12-11-2013, 9:27 PM
My wife got me a iPad2 a couple of years ago. When it is replaced, it will be with another iPad. I'm typing this from my 27" iMac. Next to it sits my 5th gen. iPod. Somewhere I have an original iPod Shuffle. I could keep going..........

John

Pat Barry
12-11-2013, 9:43 PM
John, is yours a wifi only version or a 4G version?

Jim Matthews
12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Got the Nexus 7.

It's ideal for my needs, and inexpensive.
I don't use it on a phone network. No need for it, if there's a WiFi hotspot nearby.

Matt Meiser
12-11-2013, 10:26 PM
iPad Mini because I also have an iPhone and they play nicely together. We're a 3 iPhone and soon to be a 3 iPad house (shh... ;)) I just have the Mini with Wifi because my phone can act as a hotspot if wifi isn't available--one of the few places that seems to be true anymore is the car on trips. I posted here last week from 10,000 feet above Lake Erie using Southwest's wifi (where I couldn't legally have used 4g anyway.) I really like the mini for my use because I can hold it like a book, its lighter, and smaller. I wasn't using the full size one as much as I use the mini because its easier to take the mini. I'm just using it for an occasional video, e-reader, some music, web surfing, and light email use.

Also, this situation has gotten somewhat better but when I bought my first iPad, an iPad 2 there were probably literally thousands of accessories for the iPad. The other options had generic options for say a 10" tablet or whatever the manufacturer made.

Dick Latshaw
12-11-2013, 10:44 PM
My wife is getting an iPad Air to replace her iPad 1, which has no camera. She can then do FaceTime on a large screen with the kids. She has loved her iPad (and her iPhone).

Mark P. Miller
12-12-2013, 12:28 AM
If you plan to do a lot of text entry or typing, I think that Android-based devices are really a lot better at this point. The predictive text features just work, and the Swype approach can really make things go much faster once you get used to it. I truly get VERY annoyed on my IPad when I discover typos and have to go back to correct them. It is not as simple as you would like. Much easier on my Android device.

All of this is moot if you plan to use an external keyboard with good cursor positioning controls.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Samsung galaxy guy here. I'm on my second tablet now, the one you mentioned. It's very good, but I find that having the galaxy phone in your pocket all the time makes the tablet feel redundant. I'm using an S4 now, and it is just as capable as a tablet for the vast majority of the stuff I need. Probably just how I use it, but... Personally I love android, it plays nice with everything. Some of the others don't.

John McClanahan
12-12-2013, 6:39 AM
Pat, mine is the older 3G model. You need the cellular option, but only for the GPS, if you want to using mapping apps. The wi-fi only model does not have a GPS.

John

John McClanahan
12-12-2013, 6:43 AM
Keep in mind that the competition touts a "real" keyboard, but they fail to tell you how much extra that will cost. There are plenty of "real" keyboards for iPads, just not sold by Apple. Besides, that makes it a netbook.

John

Bobby O'Neal
12-12-2013, 7:42 AM
iPad. Because iEverything. The brand has proven itself to me.

Mark Bolton
12-12-2013, 8:04 AM
If she is artistic you may consider the galaxy note 8 with the stylus. Great for drawing with I forget how many levels of pressure sensitivity.. Drawing with your finger is not great in my opinion. I have drawn on a first gen HP tablet PC with gimp for years and while it's slow without a keyboard it has a lot of functionality.

I like the note 8 a lot. Played with a lot of iPads (iphone user) but not a fan.

I do like, and don't oppose, that apple takes a lot of control away from the user which makes their stuff more stable. Going to the android brings me back to the days of riffling through menu after menu of settings and features and can be a bit daunting but it's working for me.

Art Mann
12-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I have used the older version Nexus 7 for a year now and I have been mostly very satisfied. It has a GPS but no 4G. I bought a $10 app called "Co-Pilot", which includes map data for the entire USA and I much prefer it over the more expensive Garmin GPS I also own. I have a Samsung smartphone and Verizon cell service with which I can generate a wi-fi hotspot anywhere there is 4G service. That eliminates the need for 4G. The one drawback I have found is internet browsing. The 7 inch screen simply isn't quite large enough for my bad eyesight. When I replace it, I will get a model with a 10 inch display.

Dune Crane
12-12-2013, 11:22 AM
I have the original Kindle Fire, an IPad (3rd gen), and a Microsoft Surface Pro. I still use my Lenovo Laptop here more than anything. I think that the Kindle Fire was and the newer ones are a great value, but the IPad is the tablet I use the most. While the 7" form factor is definitely easier to hold, and possibly better for book reading, for everything else I prefer the 10" ff in a tablet.

Larry Browning
12-12-2013, 11:24 AM
I have the Nexus 7 2013 model and really like it. One thing that no one has mentioned about the Nexus line of tablets is that the latest version of Android will most likely be available for them, where as other brands may not and you will be stuck with whatever version comes on it. For instance, mine came with 4.2 IIRC and just this morning I was notified that 4.4.2 (kitkat) was available for download and install.
also, I really like the size of the Nexus 7, it is much easier to carry around than the 10" versions. It will fit into a coat pocket or other large pocket. I find the display plenty large enough for reading and using as a GPS in the car. Speaking of GPS, this is one of the primary features included in the NEXUS 7 which is not in many of the other tablets. I would make sure that any tablet you are considering actually has a GPS radio built into it. I too have co-pilot and like it better than the Garmin.

BTW: I cannot comment on any of the ipad products as I am dedicated to never owning any "i" products. (this is not open for discussion!)

Judson Green
12-12-2013, 12:00 PM
I just got a Terga Note 7. Sub 200 bucks. Front facing speakers. Mini HDMI out. Micro USB. SD card slot. And a stylus. Fastest processor in a 7" tablet. Go to that egg site and read the reviews.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if any of the tablets have a real usb port? I'd love to be able to use tablet and a usb card reader to transfer files between GPS systems in the tractors. They use a variety of different memory cards, from USB to CF, so I need the I can force the Galaxy to do it, but it's a multistep pain.

Matt Meiser
12-12-2013, 1:07 PM
The Microsoft tablets do.

Judson Green
12-12-2013, 1:37 PM
Wonder if there's a Bluetooth solution for this. Something like a thumb drive.

Val Kosmider
12-12-2013, 2:49 PM
Check in your Verizon store today...they have one of the Samsung Tablets on sale $300 versus $500, another one (smaller) for next to free, and another one coming on sale next week. It is worth the time go take a look.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-12-2013, 5:51 PM
The Microsoft tablets do.

Thats true Matt. If those ran a different OS, I'd probably have one. It's a personal thing, but I can't get along with windows 8 or its various versions. I also like apps too much to want to switch to a product that is not backed by a good app store.

Brian Kerley
12-16-2013, 5:49 PM
Those Samsung tablets aren't very good. The Nexus 7 is faster and has a better screen and is cheaper than a Galaxy Tab 3. Yeah, the screen isn't as big as the tab, but it's a better device all around.

Brian Kerley
12-16-2013, 5:50 PM
Does anyone know if any of the tablets have a real usb port? I'd love to be able to use tablet and a usb card reader to transfer files between GPS systems in the tractors. They use a variety of different memory cards, from USB to CF, so I need the I can force the Galaxy to do it, but it's a multistep pain.

What you want is a USB OTG cable. Android supports this. The iPads do not, from what I've been able to find in the past.

Paul McGaha
12-16-2013, 6:06 PM
In regard to smart phones and tablets, Our family is more and more going to Apple, based on the good performance we've had with their products.

Good luck with it Pat. There does seem to be several good choices out there.

PHM

Chris Parks
12-16-2013, 6:58 PM
The Samsung has Micro SD slot for extra storage where the Nexus does not. Only valid if you store a lot of data of course but a point that is not highlighted as much as it could be. Another advantage of the SD card storage is if you make a habit of storing all your data on the card and the device becomes inaccessible for whatever reason you can remove the card and you have lost nothing or if you buy another tablet move the card from one to the other. Others would say use the cloud but I have recently lost a heap of data from the cloud and it was not my fault but a glitch within Google Drive. Never again.

Bill Cunningham
12-17-2013, 8:36 PM
I find Advil tablets help with the financial 'pain' of Christmas.. My wife is known as the "Crazy present lady"

Matt Meiser
12-18-2013, 8:23 AM
Others would say use the cloud but I have recently lost a heap of data from the cloud and it was not my fault but a glitch within Google Drive. Never again.

One should never keep data in only one place. Don't have stats to prove it, but my hunch is that you are probably more likely to have an SD card or hard drive failure than cloud failure.

Chris Parks
12-18-2013, 8:36 AM
One should never keep data in only one place. Don't have stats to prove it, but my hunch is that you are probably more likely to have an SD card or hard drive failure than cloud failure.

It was in more then one place but the problem within Google Drive means that it can't be accessed anywhere.

Matt Meiser
12-18-2013, 9:33 AM
I don't mean a local cache...a complete copy. The sync software they all use (Skydrive, Dropbox, Google, etc, etc.) syncs changes to each cache--including any unintended changes. A backup should be a copy to a location on a local drive that is out of the sync software's control. Or back up your SD card by copying to the cloud (not letting the sync software control the card.)

Prashun Patel
12-18-2013, 9:48 AM
I just went through this decision myself, Pat. IMHO, there are 2 reasons to get an Ipad:

a) if you like and own any Apple products, then get an ipad (especially if you own an iphone). The interfaces are similar, and Apple likes to use iTunes and Photostream to share everything. It's just easier if you have an ipad.
b) the ipad has more aps than any other platform. The obvious ones are available for droid or windows, but apple just has more.

For these reasons, I chose an ipad for my mom.

Chris Parks
12-18-2013, 4:28 PM
I don't mean a local cache...a complete copy. The sync software they all use (Skydrive, Dropbox, Google, etc, etc.) syncs changes to each cache--including any unintended changes. A backup should be a copy to a location on a local drive that is out of the sync software's control. Or back up your SD card by copying to the cloud (not letting the sync software control the card.)

That is exactly what I did, one copy on Google Drive and one copy on a local drive. This is off topic unfortunately and and should be not be pursued here.

David Weaver
12-18-2013, 4:35 PM
BTW: I cannot comment on any of the ipad products as I am dedicated to never owning any "i" products. (this is not open for discussion!)

Good man!!

Greg Portland
12-19-2013, 1:40 PM
I am on the fence with regard to using something like Verizon wireless 4G for data transfer - That might be a good thing for travel usage. There are so many free WiFi hotspots around that IMO 4G data is a very expensive nice-to-have (given typical tablet usage). You will also get locked into an expensive contract.

The iPad Air is better than the other options but it's also more expensive. A better competitor to the Air would be the Galaxy Note (I'd get the Note if that was my choice).

The $250-range tablets will work for basic web browsing and any of the popular games (Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Words with Friends, etc.).

Pat Barry
12-22-2013, 7:06 PM
Thanks everyone for all your input. I went back and forth on this, around and around and yesterday I bit the bullet and bought an 8 inch Samsung Galaxy 3 Note. I liked the potential to expand the memory thru a micro SD slot and for my bride I really liked the stylus. I played with it a while in the store and think it will be nice to use with a drawing program. I didn't have any allegiance one way or the other. I also liked the I Pad Mini but it isn't expandable that I could see. The Samsung graphics are beautiful. think the Apple Retina display may be technically better but not enough to be the decision maker. I decided also not to go for the 4G. Extra money and I suspect for us very little usage although time will tell on that one and there may be other options. I think for her use the Note 8 will be perfect. Now she will tell me I spent too much but I think she will be happy with it.

Jon Shank
12-23-2013, 4:20 AM
Good call, that's a nice tablet. I just recently went through the same decision process and ended up picking up an Asus Memopad. Also a nice tablet, screen is great and that was a major decider for me. I look at alot of schematics and diagrams for work and that was one of my major uses, so the high def screen was a big draw. I checked out the Samsung devices too and the Tab 3 and note 10 were both in the running right up until I pulled the trigger. Deciding factor for me ended up being the little bit cheaper price and little bit higher resolution screen. If it had been for my wife, also an artist, it would have been the same you got, just for the stylus. Samsung did a good job with their stylus and screen, works about as well as you can find without going to a dedicated drawing pad. Just isn't what I needed. I've had a couple of Samsung smartphones and they have been great and long lasting/durable. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the tablet, they make good stuff.

Jon