PDA

View Full Version : Value of block planes

Joe Tilson
12-11-2013, 5:51 PM
I have some block planes which are pretty nice, but need to pare down the number I have so more can be purchased. I have a Miller Falls 1455B, Stanley 203, as well as a 9 1/4. Come to think of it there is a Union 220 in the pile. The condition is really good with some pitting and rust factors. The blades are in good shape. My question is, Which of the four to keep? I have ten with the cheaper ones already chosen to go. I need to lose two more. Thank you for your time,
Joe

Frederick Skelly
12-11-2013, 7:15 PM
Joe, I cant help with youre immediate question. But Im really curious - why do you own 10 block planes? Do they each suit a particular task in some way? Or did you just get interested and collect a few? I can certainly understand the latter! I love my 2 block planes and have been tempted to buy more. But saw no reason other than the pleasure of collecting them.

Fred

Joe Tilson
12-11-2013, 8:08 PM
Fred,
I just came across multiple deals where if you buy this and this I'll throw in that one too. My wife found several at yard sales not knowing what had already been purchased. She got three with a Sargent #9c VBM all for about seven dollars. I am grateful to her for that. I really started collect then changed my mind in favor of users. I just don't know what is a quality tool even after reading up on planes. I've also had to stop collecting Disston saws and other brands as well. I'll probably be working the rest of my life trying to clean 25+ up. Some are users some are not, but I like collecting them.

Jim Koepke
12-11-2013, 9:01 PM
Keep the ones that you use or like using. Sell the rest.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
12-11-2013, 9:39 PM
Makes sense to me! Now you can have the pick of the litter Joe, like Jim says!

don wilwol
12-12-2013, 8:44 AM
with a Sargent #9c VBM all for about seven dollars.

What a deal. :D

Joe Tilson
12-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Jim & Fred, That's just it I like them all! That's the collector in me, but I have to be practical as well.

Don, That's one of those times you really know your wife loves you.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Jim & Fred, That's just it I like them all! That's the collector in me, but I have to be practical as well.

My feeling about having extra planes is so they can be set up for different tasks. Usually one for very fine cuts and one for heavy cuts. The fun comes in remembering which is which.

jtk

don wilwol
12-12-2013, 1:34 PM

Well, if you don't have room for that 9C, i'll be glad to double your money!! :-)

Joe Tilson
12-12-2013, 2:24 PM
Don, The 9C is mine! Quit drueling you'll cause rust.

don wilwol
12-12-2013, 8:33 PM
Don, The 9C is mine! Quit drueling you'll cause rust.

Joe Tilson
12-13-2013, 6:36 AM
Not bad, not bad at all, now I'm drooling. Just hope the 9C will look half as good when cleaned up. It's set up for hogging right now, which is what I probably will use it for. I know that's the original use of it. If someone out there lives near Greenville or Easley, SC who can help me learn hands on about planes, please contact me via PM.

Prashun Patel
12-13-2013, 7:06 AM
Not that jim needs a +1, but +1.