PDA

View Full Version : Coffee mug engraving question

Steve McKee
12-11-2013, 3:57 PM
This might be a silly question but does it make any difference which side of a coffee mug is engraved depending on if the user is left or right handed? Should the engraving be facing away from them or toward them? Or does it matter a hill of beans?

Thanks,
Steve

Chris DeGerolamo
12-11-2013, 4:06 PM
Ask your customer. I've done both. yet to a particular person, one side could be considered wrong.

Mark Sipes
12-11-2013, 4:08 PM
Most all are right handed. I ask my customers, but in most cases we end up engraving so the name or logo is in the front facing away from the drinker. Does no good in a crowd if your name is facing you!

Joe Hillmann
12-11-2013, 4:08 PM
I think what matters is that you are consistent. I usually do them assuming the person is right handed and it will be facing them when they hold it.

When doing beer mugs for weddings I have had some people request that the engraving will face away from the person holding it and I have also had people request the engraving be on the opposite side for left handed people.

Mike Null
12-11-2013, 4:15 PM
I don't engrave mugs but when I sublimated them most wanted the image to face them.

Mark Sipes
12-11-2013, 6:17 PM
Went out and looked a printers that specialize in "mugs" and we pretty much have the same answer. "What ever the customer wants is right!

Bill Cunningham
12-11-2013, 7:08 PM
The logo or name 'should' face away from the drinker. That way everyone can see your name or logo. You already know what your name is, and I assume you are familiar with your logo so it's not important that 'you' can see it (narcissism aside ;) ) So if it's just a general logo mug I engrave to be held in the right hand (the majority of people are right handed). If it's a personalized mug, I usually ask if the drinker is right or left handed and engrave as required. It's pertinent to mention at this point, the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body...So, it's only us left handers that are in our right minds..:rolleyes:

Chuck Stone
12-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Ha ha. Very punny. :p

Keith Outten
12-12-2013, 9:40 AM
This topic also applies to engraving pens. I try to remember to ask before i engrave so the customer lets me know the right answer :)

BTW I'm left handed as well so I engrave my personal pens so the first letter of the first name is at the top of the pen. The name reads correctly when the pen is held in the left hand.

Jeff Belany
12-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Keith, I have engraved many pens over the years and never thought about right/left. No one has ever asked me to do a left hand pen either.

I do agree the image on the mug should face away from the drinker and I do try to ask the customer which way they want it.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Chuck Stone
12-12-2013, 11:44 PM
I do agree the image on the mug should face away from the drinker

"This is why we watch to see if people pick up their mug with the left hand.
If they do, we beat them because they are Satan's children."

Sister Marie Elephant

Doug Novic
12-13-2013, 6:03 PM
Best side is the outside. :)

Ruben Salcedo
12-14-2013, 9:54 AM
I've been done thousands of mugs, most sublimation though and like 90% of them we've done them facing away when their are one side only and photo facing away (they usually want to show up their child, dog, etc.) and personal message facing them, the times that we have done them facing them (one side only) is when it contain a personal message target it to the recipient of the mug since it will concern to him only, so in the end that all will depend on the intended targeted viewer.

BTW, we ask 100% of our customer where they wanted and the end result is what I mention above.

Spencer lee
12-21-2013, 2:45 PM
Hi
I'm in the UK and would be grateful if you could tell me the approximate time it takes to laser engrave one side of a ceramic mug
Many thanks

Mark Sipes
12-21-2013, 2:58 PM
depending on the detail of engraving applied to the mug..... 45 secs to 2 minutes Laserable mug required

Spencer lee
12-21-2013, 6:46 PM
Thank you Mark
Any advice on a suitable laser ideally desktop and approximate price
Kind Regards
Lee