PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP-12 details

Brian LaShomb
12-11-2013, 2:06 PM
I took delivery of my Jet JJP-12HH today. Thought I'd include some pics and details, as I couldn't find many specifics on it when making my decision.

I purchased this from Amazon during the recent Jet/Powermatic promotion. I didn't pay anything with Prime shipping, but the delivery guys offered to move it in the garage for me. Had them drop it out front as it's going to be moved into the basement this afternoon.

Crate size, including the blocking on the bottom is 58" long x 22 5/8" wide x 44 1/4" tall. Crate is labeled with: Net wt: 530 lbs, Gross Wt: 600 lbs.

Dominic Carpenter
12-11-2013, 4:23 PM
I'm really looking forward to you update. I have been delaying a decision on a combo machine due to the varied reviews with these machines. The only machine that is consistently positive has been the Hammer(post 2009). I just have a hard time with the extra $$ (an extra $1,000 over the Jet).

Brian LaShomb
12-11-2013, 4:37 PM
Out of crate and onto Great Lakes casters (LV-1710-NYP-S-M12) installed. One corner of the unit wasn't even bolted to skid. Casters installed easily. Nuts attaching to crate skid were 13mm. Nuts for casters were 3/4".

Brian LaShomb
12-11-2013, 5:01 PM
This thing is messy. Left side shows the goop it comes coated in, right side after some clean up with CRC 3-36. This top grabs lint like crazy. Not sure why the tops are so dark. I knew it would be this way, just don't know their reasoning. I'm sure it's cheaper than polished. I may grab a buffing wheel and some compound and see where it gets me.

Brian LaShomb
12-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to you update. I have been delaying a decision on a combo machine due to the varied reviews with these machines. The only machine that is consistently positive has been the Hammer(post 2009). I just have a hard time with the extra $$ (an extra $1,000 over the Jet).

After shipping costs and the spiral cutter block upgrade, my quote for a Hammer A3 31 was about $2000 more than the Jet during this past promotional sale. I paid $2860 and change for the Jet.

Sanjeev Agarwal
01-05-2014, 2:46 PM
Could you explain a little more how you got the casters in without lifting the machine? I just ordered one and am planning to use the same casters. Although I did read somewhere that JET recommends use of a mobile base and not casters. Do you see any bending of the metal base with the casters? I went through the same process and considered the Hammer but it was almost $2000 more than the Jet.

Curt Harms
01-06-2014, 9:58 AM
This thing is messy. Left side shows the goop it comes coated in, right side after some clean up with CRC 3-36. This top grabs lint like crazy. Not sure why the tops are so dark. I knew it would be this way, just don't know their reasoning. I'm sure it's cheaper than polished. I may grab a buffing wheel and some compound and see where it gets me.

I have the straight knife version but the tables/bed look the same. I wondered about the 'corduroy' effect but some $$$$$ Euro machines have the same type finish. I've read the idea is that there's less force required to move material over them as there are less contact area between the work and bed. I haven't seen an issue as of yet, no evidence of material rocking or tilting as it feeds. I did wax with Johnson's paste wax and abrasive pad and yes there was some minor snagging when rubbing the wax out with a paper towel.

Dick Mahany
01-06-2014, 10:09 AM
I have the straight knife version but the tables/bed look the same. I wondered about the 'corduroy' effect but some $$$$$ Euro machines have the same type finish. I've read the idea is that there's less force required to move material over them as there are less contact area between the work and bed. I haven't seen an issue as of yet, no evidence of material rocking or tilting as it feeds. I did wax with Johnson's paste wax and abrasive pad and yes there was some minor snagging when rubbing the wax out with a paper towel.

Same experience here. I have one of the early straight knife versions when they were first released. No problems ever and the beds are coated with Bostic dry protectant and overcoated with Johnson's paste wax. I also had snagging when polishing with a microfiber towel but it doesn't affect performance in use

Rich Riddle
01-06-2014, 4:50 PM
In the garage sit Jet, Hammer, and Minimax tools. Any of the brands exceed my abilities to be honest. However, in comparing all the tools, Jet would earn a grade of "B-", Hammer would earn an "A-" and the Minimax would earn a solid "A." If you ever get down from South Bend to the Cincinnati area and want to try out a European jointer planer, just send an e-mail. The Minimax will have the Shelix head installed when it arrives from Holbren. Once you try a Minimax, the Jet pales in comparison. It would be interesting to see how the Jet HH compares on the segmented cutter-head design against the Shelix segmented cutter design.

Jim Foster
01-08-2014, 8:23 AM
Brian, Don't stop here, give us some more details. Have you used it yet?

After shipping costs and the spiral cutter block upgrade, my quote for a Hammer A3 31 was about $2000 more than the Jet during this past promotional sale. I paid $2860 and change for the Jet.