PDA

View Full Version : Looking for work glove recomendation

Steven Lee, NC
12-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I bought a pair from woodcraft and a pair from home depot and the seams have started opening around the finger area. I am looking for something more durable. I like the form fitting ones rather than the large garden type gloves so I can grip and pickup fairly small things easily. Something that will let me handle rough wood and prevent splinters from driving through the gloves and into my hand.

thanks

Erik Loza
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I like Mechanix gloves. The kind with double leather palms. They do not last as long as say, pig leather gloves, but give a lot better dexterity and control when using tools.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jerome Stanek
12-11-2013, 1:04 PM
Get a pair from an electric supply house they last and are nice and flexible.

Fred Belknap
12-11-2013, 1:06 PM
The mechanic glove is pretty durable. At least till I cut the three fingers off them.

Jeff Duncan
12-11-2013, 1:37 PM
I like the soft leather ones w/ re-enforced palm from the box store, they wear in nicely and are perfect for unloading the lumber truck. I usually get a year or two out of a pair before they start to wear through.

JeffD

Kyle Iwamoto
12-11-2013, 2:01 PM
I like finger-less gloves. I don't know if that is what you are also looking to consider. I like the fingerless gloves because the fingers do not fill up with chips/sawdust. The obvious problem is they do leave the fingertips unprotected. The obvious benefit is that no finger dexterity is lost for picking up small items, and layout.
I got "sport utility gloves" from Amazon. Get the ones with pull tabs on the back of the glove. Makes them easier to get off.

Garth Almgren
12-11-2013, 2:12 PM
I got "sport utility gloves" from Amazon. Get the ones with pull tabs on the back of the glove. Makes them easier to get off.
I have had those same gloves for years and they're great. I highly recommend them - if you want fingerless (it's not for everybody). :)

Mike Cutler
12-11-2013, 2:58 PM
Terminator Taperfits.
I can have any currently available work glove supplied just for the asking, but these are what I use daily for work. The Mechanic gloves are nice gloves for general handtool use, but clumsy for the type of work I do.
Good protection, no insulation, but I can install 4-40 screws, nuts and washers with them on. Do electrical work, and fine instrumentation work.
Rubber coated palms and fingers, Kevlar weave, tight fitting. I used them milling wenge, and that's pretty "splintery". If I was going to wear a glove in the woodshop, which I was expressly taught not too, these are the only ones I'd feel even remotely safe wearing.
Absolutely great for doing brake jobs.

Kevin Bourque
12-11-2013, 3:34 PM
I wear gloves almost everyday here on the farm and I buy Stihl or Carhart gloves.
Cutting trees, splitting firewood, mending fences, building stuff, fixing machinery, sawmilling logs, etc...
They feel the most comfortable and last the longest.
They are also very reasonably priced.
I wouldn't waste my money on the junk they sell at Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, etc.

I bought a pair of Mechanix brand gloves a few months ago to see how they would hold up.
They are not made for rough use like handling wood or branches. They fell apart very quickly.

Doug Ladendorf
12-11-2013, 4:32 PM
I have a pair from Duluth Trading that have held up well over three or four years of home outdoor work. I have some broken in soft leather ones that I like for shop work (when gloves are appropriate) but I'm not sure where they came from.

johnny means
12-11-2013, 4:47 PM
I like the tight fitting gloves with the dipped on rubber coating. I can actually still type on my cell phone when wewring them. I like the security of the extra grip along with the protection from rough edges and splinters. I do, however, consider them disposable. I go through about 2 10 packs a year in a fulltime working environment. I think I pay about a dollar a pair.

Cary Falk
12-11-2013, 4:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Ansell-Protection-Resistant-Nitrile-Coating/dp/B007N8USAE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1386798779&sr=8-14&keywords=ansell+kevlar+gloves

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gloves-Premium-Precurved-Cowhide/dp/B000WGM9VU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1386798460&sr=8-15&keywords=wells+lamont+gloves (http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gloves-Premium-Precurved-Cowhide/dp/B000WGM9VU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1386798460&sr=8-15&keywords=wells+lamont+gloves)

I buy three packs of Wells Lamont work gloves from Costco for the hard stuff. They conform to my hands pretty good.

I also have a pair of Ansell Kevlar gloves my neighbor gave me for when I use a box cutter.

J.R. Rutter
12-11-2013, 6:01 PM
I buy the Atlas brand by the dozen and go through a pair in ~ 3-4 weeks wearing them 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. They improve grip to the point that my carpal tunnel syndrome rarely kicks in any more.

http://www.atlasfitgloves.com/images/home.jpg

Randy Smith
12-11-2013, 8:13 PM
I'm pretty much in line with what others are saying. I've tried the mechanix style gloves and found that for $15 to $20 or more, they don't last long at all. I've tried a couple different types and hardly get a couple weeks out of them. So my glove of choice now is the harbor freight latex coated yellow work gloves. Tight fit, good grip and they last long enough. The latex starts peeling off then I toss them and grab another pair. You can catch them on sale for $1.49/pair. I buy a dozen or two at a time and always have a fresh pair ready.

Matt Day
12-11-2013, 9:47 PM
I'm a big fan of ones like JR posted. The pairs I have are called nitrile I think. You can get a pair for like $2 at HF and they work great for just about everything from the shop, to auto repair, to yard work.

Yonak Hawkins
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM
You convinced me, Mike. I ordered a pair of the Terminator gloves plus two other styles by Banom to check out. Thanks for the tip.

Michael W. Clark
12-11-2013, 11:38 PM
I like the ones like in the 3-packs at Sams and Costco. A trick I learned when I used to work in the Foundry; During the cold times of the year, we would get gloves a size larger, then wear the brown "jersey" gloves under the larger leather gloves. You get the durability, plus the warmth and the combination is comfortable too.

I don't wear gloves when woodworking. However, something to protect my left index finger when ripping at the tablesaw, would be awesome! The slices from the jointed board edges is like very nasty paper cuts. Those of you that do this for a living might call the solution a "callous".:)

Mike

Steve Rozmiarek
12-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Mechanics here. Wish they lasted longer, but I use the heck out of them before they die, so I'm willing to deal with the shorter life span for the better fit. Anything I've found that lasts better costs dexterity, which at times is not a tradeoff worth taking.

Doug Herzberg
12-12-2013, 7:26 AM
HF has some mechanic's gloves http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=mechanic%27s+gloves. I get the blue ones with a coupon for $3 and change per pair. XL is big enough for me, which is rare. I bought some similar gloves at Home Depot and returned them in a day because the stitching gave out. I generally use the bulk gray leather gloves, but these are nice for chainsaw work, handling lumber and, surprise, auto mechanical work. My wife likes the knitted ones like JR posted, which we also get at HF on sale.

Ron Barnes
12-12-2013, 7:38 AM
I use the Ansel Hy-flex 11-700 for working on the lathe and general shop work. I use the Hyflex 11-800 for outdoor work. I get them from Amazon.

Yonak Hawkins
03-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Terminator Taperfits.

Mike, I have to thank you for this recommendation. I've been using these gloves for three months now and they're still going strong. I've jammed splinters into them that would have ended up in my hand with other gloves this close-fitting. They still remain fairly non-slip and they facilitate dexterity that heavier gloves can't. They're not for every application but they're as close to an all-purpose glove as I've found so far. The fit at the wrist is a little tight but I'd rather have it tight than loose. The crowning glory is their good low price. Thanks.

george newbury
03-16-2014, 8:51 AM
I buy the 3 pack leather gloves from Costco, Wells Lamont XL. They are about the ONLY leather workgloves that I've found big enough for my hands and with a price small enough for my wallet. I tend to buy about 2 pair a year and have been doing that for about 5 years. The first pair is just starting to wear out. But now i've got them spread all around so there usually is a pair that are HANDY.

Yonak Hawkins
03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey, nice St. Patty's Day beard, George !

Loren Woirhaye
03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
I wear gloves a lot (I'm a guitarist and the reason is to protect my fingernails). I have used Mechanix and cheap-o mechanic gloves from Harbor Freight. If I was on top of replacing them I'd go through 3 pairs a year. The fingertips start to blow out first and within 60 days, regardless of price. Full-grain leather gloves last longer than mechanic's gloves but there's a lot of sensitivity lost.

Shane Copps
03-16-2014, 1:54 PM
I like Mechanix gloves. The kind with double leather palms. They do not last as long as say, pig leather gloves, but give a lot better dexterity and control when using tools.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

+1 on the mechanix

larry ricks
03-18-2014, 10:31 PM
My favorite glove is Magid ROC10TM ROC Nitrile. Started using these a couple years ago for auto, wood shop, and backyard. Get them at AutoZone, and Amazon. About $7.00

Jim Matthews
03-19-2014, 7:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gloves-Premium-Precurved-Cowhide/dp/B000WGM9VU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1386798460&sr=8-15&keywords=wells+lamont+gloves

$7 per pair is pretty cheap.

I bought some surplus "chopper" mittens from Harry Epstein at $3.50 per pair.
What they lack in comfort and dexterity they make up for in durability and loss prevention...

FYI - I was taught not to wear gloves when using a tool that has a spinning cutter.

Matt Meiser
03-19-2014, 8:34 AM
The DeWalt ones seem decent too in addition to the ones mentioned above. My favorite pair is some from Stihl. That said I'm a casual user and probably not the best judge of durability.

I can can tell you to skip Youngstown gloves. Junk...