PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Elm platter with porcelain tile inlay

Leo Van Der Loo
12-11-2013, 12:03 PM
As I have been helping my son over here with the building of his house, I found a scrap piece of the porcelain tile that got cut out and looked pretty round, the idea to use it in a platter popped up in my mind.

I just had to decide which platter blank to use as I had/have several rough turned ones stored for use sometime, this Siberian Elm one looked like a good choice size and colorwise, though it had warped quite a bit being a crotch piece that also had a third branch in there with some bark inclusion, anyway I glued a block to the piece and got it oriented in the best possible way and flattened and rounded the piece, turned it to finish and cut the recess for the porcelain disk, glued that in and filled in around the disk with fine wood dust and topped it with some copper metal powder, CA to harden it and keep it there, gave it to my son and DIL last week when they moved into the house, they do like it :D.

All comments are welcome as always :).

276842 276841 276843

steven carter
12-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Great idea Leo! This made for a very nice platter. Good to see you posting again!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Thank you Steven for your comment :D

Bill Hensley
12-12-2013, 7:35 AM
That's a beauty!

Mike Golka
12-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Nice piece Leo, you do realize though thats now a segmented platter;)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
HAHA :D, Mike, technically yes :rolleyes: ;) :D, as is a bowl with a knot glued in ???, thanks for the comment :cool:.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2013, 1:10 PM
Thank you Bill :D, at 18" it is a good sized one :)

Marc Himes
12-12-2013, 1:22 PM
Beautiful Platter Leo. Nice use of the porcelain. Are you concerned about further movement of the piece, especially due to it's size?

bob svoboda
12-12-2013, 3:59 PM
Very, very nice, Leo.

charlie knighton
12-12-2013, 4:03 PM
very nice platter, Leo

heirloom

Roger Chandler
12-12-2013, 4:59 PM
Cool use of materials, Leo........now that's using the ole' porcelain.....er, uh, noggin! :D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2013, 8:54 PM
Thanks Marc for the comment and question :D, the wood came from a tree I cut down 4 years ago and the platter was rough turned very soon afterwards, it has sat in my heated shop in London and now in my heated shop here in Atikokan.

I did return it about 6 weeks ago and it sat for a couple weeks till I finished the platter, knowing that wood will always move when air moisture does change from summer to winter, I added the fine sanding dust around the insert and only hardened the top copper powder layer on top with CA, hoping that this would give enough, time will tell is all I can say.

I could not leave the gap open or the tile loose in the platter, that was why I decided to glue it in, hoping it was the right decision :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2013, 8:26 PM
Very, very nice, Leo.

Thanks for commenting Bob :)

very nice platter, Leo.

Thank you Charlie :)

Cool use of materials, Leo........now that's using the ole' porcelain.....er, uh, noggin! :D.

Thanks for commenting Roger :)