PDA

View Full Version : Jointers on CL

Steve Gojevic
12-11-2013, 7:37 AM
Any opinions on these two Craftsman jointers?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4226985053.html

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4238340885.html

I don't currently own a jointer and don't have much of a budget for one. Would either of these be decent tools?

Steve

joe maday
12-11-2013, 8:05 AM
I would hold off, both look to need cleaning/rust removal on the tables, besides niether have adjustable out feed tables which makes blade changing a bi...h i mean hard, and I'm sure lower power. Save up and keep looking for an older delta 6" or powermatic 6" USA machines or even the import clones. they are out there and should be around 300-450, 4" machines usually go for 100-200, and if you have room/budget 8" machines go for 600 up. All depends on space, budjet and what your intended use will be. Seems everyone who has 6" jointers are looking to upgrade to 8" machines (or larger). Just make sure you bring an accurate straight edge to check the beds and fence for any warpage, bends, or damage. Maybe purchasing an accurate straight edge might be a first step...Lee Valley has some aluminum or steel ones that are reasonable in price and they would be used many times in the future. Sometimes you need to "bite the bullet" and buy right the first time instead of fighting and dealing with cheaper, less quallity machines/tools.......Just my opinion..

Steve Gojevic
12-11-2013, 8:39 AM
Here is another jointer, a 4" Rockwell.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4213171653.html

I have a 12" Delta planer so I don't think I need a real wide jointer. This one appears to have an adjustable outfeed table.

Steve

Judson Green
12-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Those are neat. I have an older one just like it, came as half of a combo unit. But very rarely use it. Two reasons
1) I'm mostly using handtools these days.
2) its so small (total of 24" long), you can hardy joint anything length or width.

But it is neat and can work well when you need it to. I'd look for the 6" version of that jointer and also one that has the deluxe fence (one handle to adjust the angle of the fence and move it in and out).

Also that guy is asking WAY too much. Perhaps that's what you gotta pay in your area but here (Milwaukeeish) 4" jointers are dirt cheep.

Added: Guess I should have looked at the picture in the ad better... that's the kind of fence adjustment handle I'm talking about.

Jamie Lynch
12-11-2013, 10:24 AM
All three of those jointers sell for $100ish around my area.
I would hold off and wait for an older 6"delta or powermatic. They pop up from time to time.
It took several months of trolling feebay and CL to find the jointer I wanted. I was tempted to just plunk down $100 on a cheapo craftsman, but in the end I was able to score a delta dj-20 for $300. Deals are out there and patience is your friend.

William C Rogers
12-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Agree with other posters. I had a Craftsman 6 1/8 jointer, some only have a 1/2 hp motor IMO is too small for jointer. I did eventually find a 6 1/8 delta on CL and what a world of difference. It had a 1 hp motor. I now have a 13inch MM and again another step up, however the Delta was a nice jointer. Knowing my own experience I would not buy the older craftsman and would keep searching CL. Regarding the 4 inch Rockwell, it would depend on what you would be needing. You could possibly cheat and join up to about 6 inches, but that would your limit regardless of your planer size. I will always trade width for table length.

Bill

Myk Rian
12-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I use a Cman 6" jointer for weight in my truck.
Look for a Delta/Rockwell, Jet, or Powermatic.
Better yet, look for an 8".

Bill Whig
12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I have a 12" Delta planer so I don't think I need a real wide jointer.

Steve

You may not appreciate a subtle difference between these tools: A jointer can make the face of a board flat (not just smooth). A planer cannot do this, it relies on one face (the one on the bottom) being flat to begin with. I hope that makes sense. If not, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Bill Whig

Steve Gojevic
12-11-2013, 2:23 PM
You may not appreciate a subtle difference between these tools: A jointer can make the face of a board flat (not just smooth). A planer cannot do this, it relies on one face (the one on the bottom) being flat to begin with. I hope that makes sense. If not, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Bill Whig

So if I understand this correctly, the jointer makes a board face flat because the cut face rides on the outfeed table which positions the rest of the board that hasn't been cut already, guaranteeing the board is flat with no twist, etc. The planer is only guided by the short length of board between the rollers, which means the board can actually twist as it goes through.

Here is a more expensive CL jointer:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4222625440.html

While this is out of my price range (at least for the near future), is this the "next step up" from the cheapies?

Steve

joe milana
12-11-2013, 4:42 PM
Steve, your assessment of jointers & planers is correct. Jointers flatten the surface of a board. A planer makes the opposite surface co-planer with the first.
Tell us a little about what you want to do, your budget, and we can better suggest a jointer for you. That little 4" rockwell is no "cheapie" and is what I started out with. It was my dad's, and was still like new when I finally sold it (for $40 with motor & stand). Ran a bajilion boards over that thing. Wish I still had it. If you want to make jewelry boxes & cutting boards, it would be more than adequate. If you are gonna build cabinets & furniture, you might want something bigger.

Steve Gojevic
12-11-2013, 5:43 PM
Right now, I am in the process of building kitchen cabinets for me. I will be making a lot of face frames which will cut from S2S maple. The jointer looked like a good way to true the cut edge after the table saw. I suppose I could just buy a better TS blade and sand the edge.

I make all sorts of things (for myself and friends) and probably will need a better jointer in the future than I need (want?) right now.

I was just hoping to pick up a low-cost jointer for use now and then in the future sell it and get a better one (which I can't afford now).

Steve

Myk Rian
12-11-2013, 5:43 PM
That 6" Grizzly. for $350, is a good deal. About what you would expect to pay for a good 6" jointer.

Bruce Wrenn
12-11-2013, 9:44 PM
Either of those jointers would make a good anchor for a boat of less than 25'.

Michael W. Clark
12-11-2013, 9:57 PM
Steve, check out the Delta/Rockwell 37-220. It's the 6" version with stand of the 4" Delta you posted. I have one and really like it. Of course, I would like a larger one, but this one suits my space better and wad affordable, around $200.

Loren Woirhaye
12-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Either will get you started. Both those craftsman models lack an adjustable outfeed table.... so it also cannot sag. You align the blades to the outfeed table, which you do anyway. I suppose the main drawback would be you can't put a bit of sag in the table top cut "sprung" joints, but that's a sort of advanced thing to get into anyway.

My first jointer was a 4". I think it was a Delta. Nice little machine. I think I made a stand for it and hooked up a washing machine motor but I'm honestly not sure anymore. I probably got it at a yard sale.

Then I found a 6" Walker Turner and sold the 4". The Walker Turner had a part missing from the fence, so I made a new fence from plywood and piano hinges. I used that for awhile, then found a used 8" Star jointer and sold the Walker Turner. I used the Star for one or two years, then found a deal on a Robland 12" jointer/planer which I used for about 5 years. Then I stopped woodworking for awhile, sold the Robland. Now I found an INCA 10" jointer/planer. The planer belt is broken so I just use it as a jointer.

My point being is that if you buy used, you can upgrade as opportunities come up, as your needs change. It's really no big deal and you learn about machinery in the process. Like it or not, knowing about machines and how to tinker with them is a big part of modern woodworking.

Judson Green
12-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Any of the jointers you've shown will work for that (removing saw marks). But if thats your only goal a sharp paint scraper well also work. I've done that and only that for many kitchen cabinets.

Bill Whig
12-12-2013, 5:37 PM
That 6" Grizzly. for $350, is a good deal. About what you would expect to pay for a good 6" jointer.

Grizzly will deliver that one to your door, with sharp blades and a warranty, for $524. I might offer the seller $250 if I really wanted it. A 6" Jet jointer sold at auction here in Indiana recently for $280 (but it had quite a bit more rust on it).