PDA

View Full Version : Weather Proof Number plates

Ron Sleeman
12-11-2013, 12:27 AM
I am looking for any information with respect to etching weather proof number plates with my Epilog Mini 40 Watt. I have been looking at the Romak Texture but what I read up on it, is that it fades after a couple of years. I have also looked at stainless steel with Cermark sprayed on it and was wanting opinions as to what people think is best. All information would be greatly appreciated.
Ron Sleeman

Mike Null
12-11-2013, 7:11 AM
SS and Cermark work very well and there are UV stable laminated plastics from Rowmark and IPI that will work quite well outside.

Joe Pelonio
12-11-2013, 7:44 AM
I have had good luck with Rowmark Lasermax holding up outdoors.

Ron Sleeman
12-11-2013, 8:18 AM
Thank you for the reply. I think I will go with the Romark. Ron Sleeman

Wes Mitchell
12-11-2013, 9:15 AM
Durablack is another option. It's a black aluminum (lasers to a silver/white) that passes all sorts of military grade testing.

Joe Hillmann
12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
In the past I called Johnson plastics for a recommendation of what to use for outdoor signs and they recommended durrablack as the best possible solution and rowmark lasermax as the next best. The issue with durrablack is you can't cut it with the laser and it only comes in black with a white core.

When I had looked into using durrablack Johnson Plastic could cut it to size for me for a surprisingly low cost.

If you have a yag or fiber then engraving on stainless would be the way to go. I don't have experience with cermak so I can't make suggestions there.

Rodne Gold
12-11-2013, 1:21 PM
What do you mean by a "number plate" and whats the application and where is it going?
Acrylic survives weather well.

Mark Sipes
12-11-2013, 3:23 PM
I'm a bettin' were talking House Numbers

Kev Williams
12-11-2013, 3:41 PM
Rowmark Ultramatte (not laserable) and Lasermax is great for the great outdoors. Chemical resistant too. Just for my own piece of mind I put piece of white/black/white Ultramatte in a small can of gasoline, and another in a can of diesel fuel, for a whole weekend just to see what would happen.

Nothing happened. And I know of work trucks I've made controls labels for that are over 15 years old and the labels look like new.

Rowmark TEXTURE, I'm not sure but I think it comes in an indoor and an outdoor version?

Wes Mitchell
12-11-2013, 5:26 PM
Rowmark Textures come in just the one version, and it is UV Stable.

Bill Cunningham
12-11-2013, 7:14 PM
Krylon makes a U.V. protective clear spray. I have used it on test piece of Alumamark, and it still looks just as good after a year in the sun on my shed roof as it did when it came out of the laser. The test piece has one side coated, and the other side left unprotected. The unprotected side is almost bleached entirely away, while the protected side is still solid black

Ron Sleeman
12-11-2013, 9:01 PM
Hello Rodne: to your answer, I am putting them on my docks . So the boaters know what stall to put there boat in. The weather is hot for about 5 months. So I do not want them to crack or change colours .

Rodne Gold
12-12-2013, 2:46 AM
I would use clear 3 or 5mm acrylic spray painted black on one side , reverse engrave thru the black and then paint the letters white. They will last well and not be expensive to do. You can put a bit of self adhesive sign vinyl over the back to further protect if needed.

Keith Outten
12-12-2013, 9:33 AM
Krylon makes a U.V. protective clear spray. I have used it on test piece of Alumamark, and it still looks just as good after a year in the sun on my shed roof as it did when it came out of the laser. The test piece has one side coated, and the other side left unprotected. The unprotected side is almost bleached entirely away, while the protected side is still solid black

Bill,

Thanks for the information about the Krylon UV protectant. I'm gonna give it a try ASAP.

Bill Cunningham
12-12-2013, 9:21 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the information about the Krylon UV protectant. I'm gonna give it a try ASAP.

Ya I was pleased with the results.. I was going to scan it a while back, and post a picture. But, it's been sitting on my desk, and everything else has taken a Christmas priority. I've even had to turn away a few jobs this year because I was just too darn busy.. Hope everyone else is in the same position.. HoHoHo:)

Darryl Hazen
12-13-2013, 1:34 PM
A couple of years ago I ran an exposure test on Rowmark . These chips were exposed to an entire year of harsh Utah weather. The only one that degraded was the gold. It appeared to only have a thin coat of the gold with a silver substrate.

Bill Cunningham
12-17-2013, 7:54 PM
A couple of years ago I ran an exposure test on Rowmark . These chips were exposed to an entire year of harsh Utah weather. The only one that degraded was the gold. It appeared to only have a thin coat of the gold with a silver substrate.

I'm surprized the brushed silver lasted .. Non of the metallics are outdoor rated..