PDA

View Full Version : slipped floating panel

Don Morris
06-08-2005, 6:40 PM
An Island (6' X 4') which is part of a kitchen renovation just received the granite countertop and we thought everything looked great. A few days later we noticed that one of the floating panels on the back side (15" X 3') has slipped down at one end exposing one top edge of the panel opening a gap about 1/8" for about 4". The panel is held in by small quarter round on all sides. The crew that installed the cabinets and Island said it wasn't there when they installed it and we inspected it pretty closely then and agree. We think it happened when the granite was placed. But they've been gone several days and now my wife says since I'm a WWer I should "fix it". The good news is that the original panel was damaged in shipping and the panel in place is a replacement. I have the original and looked at it's construction. The bad news is that the replacement is in place and ain't now way to remove it without taking the granite off, etc. I can't get to the section with the dropped panel. Don't even go there. However, let me tell you if I screw it up...I'm dead meat. I consider myself a mid-level amateur, certainly not a pro. After talking to a couple WWer friends, at least one of which is a pro, we thought one of the best options might be to get one of those suction cup type devices that glass workers use to hold glass and try to push it up with that. Does that sound like a plan? Any other ideas would be more than welcome believe me as I really don't want to be dead meat. This is one of those "I'm sure you can do it Honey...but don't screw it up!"

Jamie Buxton
06-08-2005, 6:47 PM
Say the vacuum-handles let you slide the panel up. How are you going to assure that it doesn't slip down again?

Michael Ballent
06-08-2005, 6:59 PM
Even if I were a pro with a lot of experience I would not even deal with trying to fix someone elses bad work, but that is me. There is warranty on their work correct? Since there are no pics to look at I am only guessing here, but they either cut the panel short or when the granite was placed on top the structure cannot handle the weight and parts are being strained. You spent your hard earned bucks to get a product and now it is not up to par. Talk to the vendor and have them correct their work, even if it means that they have to pay the granite guys to come out to move the granite out of the way to correct their problem. If they are not willing to correct the problem then you should pursue other avenues to have the problem corrected. Better Business Bureu, small claims court etc... If you try to fix it yourself then there goes all evidence you have and they could just claim that YOUR efforts have fouled up THEIR fine craftsmanship. Watch your back, not everyone out there is on the up and up :(

Don Morris
06-08-2005, 7:04 PM
A couple really thin brads, stratigically placed, but hopefully, the frictional resistance needed to push it up there, will hold it there. And I promise to go to church regularly.

Per Swenson
06-08-2005, 8:51 PM
Yes you can fix this with out using brads.
But you are going to have to use the suction cups, good ones.
Grab a hold of the panel with 2 cups, cock it at a diagonal and force
1 spaceball into the bottom. Once it is in ,
cock it the other way and add another.
Yes. I have done this. You need two people with strong hands and determination. Spaceballs http://www.blackbridgeonline.com/
good luck.
Per

Dev Emch
06-09-2005, 3:53 AM
I agree with Per. Its about the only solution that comes to mind and its not pleasant! On a bright side, now you all know about space balls. Its the simple ideas that really make me smile.

Greg Ladd
06-09-2005, 5:44 AM
Spaceballs are also available at Woodcraft. - http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3883

Greg

Don Morris
06-09-2005, 8:00 AM
If you read my description of the problem, I have to deal with it from the outside and can't get to the panel from the inside. The carcas of the island is in the way, and the granite would have to be removed to have access to the panel. The surface of the panel was treated with a glaze finish and if I try to remove the quarter rounds, I'm sure to damage them or the glaze at least. So trying to put spaceballs in there isn't a real viable option IMHO. Although I use them and agree that they are the way to go with floating panels. Anlther option to hold it in place, suggested by a pro who installs high end cabinets, is to place a clear silicone glue at the top of the panel that is exposed, shove it up with the glass vacuums, then wipe off the excess. I think I like that idea, but if it comes down, the next time I'll use brads.

Todd Burch
06-09-2005, 8:05 AM
If you can get to part of the back of the panel, you can glue a small block of wood on it - we'll call it a "handle". Once the glue is dry, you should be able to shift it around and either wedge it where it needs to be, or add a spaceballl to the groove, or other more rigid object to keep the panel level and from slipping too low again. When done, knock the glue block off or leave it.

Todd Burch
06-09-2005, 8:10 AM
OK, just saw your comment that you can't get to the inside of the panel. If you have a narrow space right angle drill, perhaps you could drill a hole from the bottom of the bottom rail under the panel on the lowest corner. Then, drive a machine screw up from the bottom, pushing the panel up. Hole won't be seen, but that's not a lot of room either - maybe 4" max.

How tight is the panel? If you can, at all, palm-it back up into place, you could wedge it around the front and glue it in place.

If all else fails, call the cabinet people and let them fix their too short panel.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 8:36 AM
If the panel shifted down, you should be able to shift it back up. The suction cup idea is a good one. I would have two people on hand for this try, one to move the panel up and the other to secure it.

Let us know how it goes!

Hal Flynt
06-10-2005, 5:35 PM
A good excuse for a pin nailer, I would say!

If you can position the panel where you want it, I would think one pin at the top center and one at the bottom would solve the problem.

If a suction cup or palm won't move it into position it, think about a way to refinish a hole, then place a nail in a predrilled hole to lever it into place, pin, fill hole and have a nice dinner. DAMHIKT.