PDA

View Full Version : This Afternoon's Project...New Miter Saw Tables

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 8:38 PM
After getting the new Hitachi SCMS I decided that the crappy old miter saw tables just were not going to cut it(pun intended). After the downdraft box this morning, I decided that I would tackle some new MS tables this afternoon.

These are made from 3/4" melamine shelving. Everything is dadoed and glued. The tables set on a base that is screwed to the bench itself and then the tables are screwed to the base. The rear fence has Rockler t-tracks for stops and are shorter than the old fences so the SCMS can fully bevel to the left. The Hitachi has a flip fence that would not operate with the old taller fences.

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 8:39 PM
Here is the glue up......

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 8:40 PM
Here are the bases that are screwed to the miter bench before the tables are mounted.....

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 8:41 PM
This is the saw in full left bevel. You can see how the flip fence works.....

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 8:45 PM
All in all another fairly easy and quick project. This was my first time using iron on edging....not as easy as it looks.:D I only had a razor blade to do the trimming. I'm sure it would be much easier if I had the right tools.

When I recieve my stick on bench tapes that I have ordered the project will be complete.

The tables are 48" to the left and 24" to the right and are 8" wide. After some fussing I got everything lined up correctly and screwed down tight. Quite an improvement over the old MDF tables I had previous.

Now back to "real" work.:(

Thanks,

Terry

David Rose
05-17-2003, 11:22 PM
That old one was sort of makeshift looking. :p

Nice job! I stole the dovetail/clamp idea from one of the guys at our BBQ and inset a tape down the center of the mail part. It is really easy to make a Biesmeyer style vernier window to go above it if you tape the top. You can make it double or quadruple the accuracy with a few scribe marks. I know... cut 'em all at once and it doesn't matter so much. I *never* manage to do that for some reason.

David

Terry Hatfield
05-18-2003, 6:59 AM
Oopps...Wrong pic in last post.

Here's another view....

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Terry
That table looks very nice!:cool: