PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth $100... Router Table w/ router

Jon Wilson
12-10-2013, 7:12 PM

Simple as that... is it worth $100?
What would you offer for it?

John McClanahan
12-10-2013, 7:51 PM
It looks like a Bosch copy. I have a Bosch, it has a odd size insert size. Other than that, I would say yes, if you get what's pictured. Doesn't hurt to offer $80. The most they can say is no.

John

Jon Wilson
12-10-2013, 7:54 PM
He was asking $125, got him down to $100

Thanks for the info

david brum
12-10-2013, 8:49 PM
I personally wouldn't. They sell the same table/router combo at Harbor Freight for $199. I peeked inside one once. It has a 1 hp, 4.3 amp motor. That's smaller than the average trim router. The motor is also just a bare, dedicated motor rather than an attached complete router. Something that small is going to be seriously limiting for router table use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-routers/adjustable-full-size-router-table-with-router-91130.html

I would want a router with at least twice as much amperage. It's probably better to get a bigger used router and attach it to a primitive board and simple fence, then upgrade to a fancier table as finances allow.

Rick Potter
12-10-2013, 10:01 PM
My brother was looking for something cheap and bought what looks like the HF version of that one. He said it won't hold a height setting and has no power. I have no personal experience with it myself.

Rick Potter

John McClanahan
12-11-2013, 6:41 AM
I didn't realize it had a router motor with it. The motor's power ratings are quite wimpy. If a different router can be used in it, it's still worth $100 with the feather boards and stand that has storage. If it is a true Bosch copy, the fence is expandable and has T slots.

John

Myk Rian
12-11-2013, 7:09 AM
Build a table, and put a decent router in it.

Rich Engelhardt
12-11-2013, 7:39 AM
I have, IIRC, three GMC tools.
A jigsaw, a bench top drill press and a 4" power planer.
Wait - make that four.
I had a 10" SCMS that broke on me & Lowes took it back.

GMC was the Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric of Australia.

That's a $50.00 setup, not $100.00 since it's used.
Lowes closed those out for $100.00 some years ago when they dumped GMC.

Save your $$ and put it towards a decent router like a PC 690.

Greg Peterson
12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
$100 might be a fair price. I would expect marginal performance on small stuff. I would also expect unacceptable accuracy. As someone post above, this machine has a tendency to slip/drop. This would be a deal breaker for me, regardless how relatively inexpensive.

I understand the desire to economize on tool acquisitions. I also know through personal experience that cheap tools are fools gold.

Brian Jarnell
12-11-2013, 8:12 PM
If you are going to dedicate your life to routing, I wouldn't buy it, but if for occasional use I would buy.