PDA

View Full Version : reamer

Curtis Niedermier
12-10-2013, 6:13 PM
One of my next projects will be a shop stool. I plan to shape round legs and tenon them into an ash seat with tapered tenons. To taper the mortises, I was going to buy a tapered reamer from one of the Windsor chairmakers (not sure which one yet). Then I saw this on eBay: search item# 370786274725
There were several of these, and the descriptions said they are for machinists, plumbers, luthiers, etc. So can something like this be used for chairmaking? I didn't figure out the angle of the taper, but even if it's off a bit, the price is right. I don't have a lathe or I'd conisder making my own.

Any thoughts?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-10-2013, 6:42 PM
I use that, for well, reaming holes. The only issue with one like that, is a lot of them are small. When they get large, they get pricey. The one you show only goes up to 5/8". I have no idea how big the wholes for your legs need to be; 5/8" seems a bit on the small side. The cheapest route for larger reamers in wood seems to be the chair makers approach of a cone type thing with a scraper inset into it.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-10-2013, 6:45 PM
Actually - Lee Valley has some reamers that aren't too much money up front:

The large here goes up to 1 and 3/16, for under 30 bucks:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=54864&cat=1,180,42240,53317,54864

The one here is a little more adjustable, for a little under 50 bucks:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=54865&cat=1,180,42240,53317

Those might be better solutions. Another option would be to see if there's a local woodworking school or chairmaker that would let you borrow or use something.

Steve Voigt
12-10-2013, 6:49 PM
Agree with everything Josh said. If you do decide to go the homemade chair reamer route, check out Jennie Alexander 's site, and blogs by Peter Galbert and Tim Manney; lots of good info on reamers.

Bruce Haugen
12-11-2013, 5:29 AM
I made the one according to the model on Jennie Alexander's site and it worked very well. It was, however, a little difficult to line up with the sight lines because of the flat end. So, I made another one more in line with the one on Peter Galbert's site, with a conical end, which is also the one that Curt Buchanan uses. It is much easier to line up with the sight lines. I suspect one could be made without a lathe, especially since it's the blade that does the cutting and , I wouldn't think, require a perfectly formed wood cone. Buchanan recommends the 6° taper. That's a good enough recommendation for me. BTW, the price was right; I just used a keyhole saw blade with the teeth ground off and the edge ground at a 45° angle. It took maybe 2 hours to make.

george wilson
12-11-2013, 8:47 AM
Those multi tooth reamers will make 6 sided holes in wood from inevitable chatter. The best ones for wood have just 1 cutting edge. LV sells those types.

Curtis Niedermier
12-11-2013, 3:42 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to sweet talk my uncle into turning one for me, and I'll pick it up at Christmas.

Bruce Haugen
12-11-2013, 6:01 PM
George, do you have any thoughts on the degree of taper on the LV reamers? The reason I ask is that Curt Buchanan and Peter Galbert recommend 6°, but I don't know what Mike Dunbar recommends. I have reamed sockets and turned matching 6° tapers and those suckers really stick tightly. I agree about the single cutter reamers.

Thanks.

Mark Hulette
12-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread but how do you determine the 6o taper? I've wanted to make one of these for a while but never really had a chance to research the turning technique to get an exact numerical taper.

Thanks!

george wilson
12-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Sorry,I never made Windsor chairs. Well,1 back in 1964,but it wasn't a true Windsor. I don't know what angle Dunbar recommends. I am sure there must be a site dedicated to them. So many want to make them. I'm sitting on a Windsor right now. We found a small factory in Adamstown(or close to it) Pa. back in the 80's. He made nice ones unfinished for a reasonable price. Can't recall his name though.

Bruce Haugen
12-17-2013, 1:06 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread but how do you determine the 6o taper? I've wanted to make one of these for a while but never really had a chance to research the turning technique to get an exact numerical taper.

Thanks!

If you take a look at Jennie Alexander's site (http://www.greenwoodworking.com/SawSteelTaperedReamerPlans), you will see that a typical keyhole saw (she calls it a compass saw, which it probably is, but my dad was a carpenter and that's what we called it) already is at the right angle (no pun intended). Simply grind off the teeth and then file or grind a 45º edge on both sides and there you have it. Anyway that's what I did and it works very well.

Mark Hulette
12-17-2013, 2:32 PM
If you take a look at Jennie Alexander's site (http://www.greenwoodworking.com/SawSteelTaperedReamerPlans), you will see that a typical keyhole saw (she calls it a compass saw, which it probably is, but my dad was a carpenter and that's what we called it) already is at the right angle (no pun intended). Simply grind off the teeth and then file or grind a 45º edge on both sides and there you have it. Anyway that's what I did and it works very well.

Thanks Bruce! I looked at the site but didn't pick up that tidbit out--- duh. I bought the saw blade some months ago but never corelated that as being the proper angle!

Thanks again!

Bob Glenn
12-17-2013, 2:45 PM
George, would that be Fred Emhoff? I think he's retired now, however he made nice spoon bits and a nice reamer that was a tapered cone with a cutting edge milled into the body. The angle was about 11 degrees, however, I've switched to 6 degrees now.

george wilson
12-17-2013, 4:31 PM
The name seems familiar. But,I only met him once in a flea market,and another time to pick up the chairs about in 1987 or so.

Steve Voigt
12-17-2013, 7:05 PM

Thanks!

The advice about just following the taper on the blade is right on. But if you really want to geek out (and oh, do I), or if you are making a blade from scratch, you can use the formula length x 2tan(x/2), where x is the included angle, to find the difference in diameters on your cone. So, if you have a 10-inch blade, then 10 x 2(tan 3) = 1.048. Interestingly, these are not the numbers Jennie has in the article--she goes from 1 1/4 to 9/16, which is more like 4 degrees. Eli Bazarri's website says his reamers go from 1/14 to 5/16, which, assuming a 10-inch blade, would be about 5.4 degrees. That, or my math is wrong! :p
I corresponded with Tim Manney (on his blog) about a month ago, and he uses 1/16th thick blades for his reamers; he says the thicker blade helps a lot. They are also about 10 inches and go from 1 1/4 to 3/8.
Sorry for going all math nerd on everybody.

Mark Hulette
12-18-2013, 9:51 AM
The advice about just following the taper on the blade is right on. But if you really want to geek out (and oh, do I), or if you are making a blade from scratch, you can use the formula length x 2tan(x/2), where x is the included angle, to find the difference in diameters on your cone. So, if you have a 10-inch blade, then 10 x 2(tan 3) = 1.048. Interestingly, these are not the numbers Jennie has in the article--she goes from 1 1/4 to 9/16, which is more like 4 degrees. Eli Bazarri's website says his reamers go from 1/14 to 5/16, which, assuming a 10-inch blade, would be about 5.4 degrees. That, or my math is wrong! :p
I corresponded with Tim Manney (on his blog) about a month ago, and he uses 1/16th thick blades for his reamers; he says the thicker blade helps a lot. They are also about 10 inches and go from 1 1/4 to 3/8.
Sorry for going all math nerd on everybody.

Geek away, Steve! Thanks for the info!

Curtis Niedermier
12-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I'll probably use an old handsaw blade to make the blade for my reamer. So let's say I want to make a 6-degree taper. Does that mean there is a 6-degree difference from one edge to the other? Or does it mean that each side is 6 degrees from the center line? The second options looks more like the reamers I see sold on some of the chairmakers' websites.

Sean Hughto
12-18-2013, 10:16 AM
I've made a few stools, and tried reaming, etc. For a shop stool, assuming you are making through tenons and wedging them, you don't need to mess with tapered mortises.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7123/7457643766_1e0e195a93_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8547007768_2736410f83_b.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2728/4201582599_290dfaef09_o.jpg

Chris Vandiver
12-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Really nice stools Sean.

Sean Hughto
12-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Chris. Just a form explained well by Mr. Dunbar in a couple articles over the years - nothing original but my own minor turning or wood choices. I wasn't trying to show off the stools so much as show Curtis that I was speaking from experience and not just asserting something "I think."

Curtis Niedermier
12-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Actually, that's really helpful Sean. I'm good at overcomplicating things and am still learning when and where to apply various types of joints.

Did you taper the stretcher tenons/mortises since they aren't through/wedged?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Love those, Sean! As beautiful as the wood is, the red lacquer look really speaks to me. Did you turn the seat scoops on those?

Sean Hughto
12-18-2013, 11:06 AM
The stretchers are under compression in this layout as the shoulder to shoulder length is a bit longer than the legs would dictate when dry fit, as per Dunbar. So, no, no taper there either.

Sean Hughto
12-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Joshua. The "red lacquer" is Salem Red "Old Fashioned" milk paint sanded and coated with BLO. I like it too. That was the first one I made, and I think the splay is a bit wide - interesting enough, though, it has held up very well. The design is forgiving, I guess.

Yeah, I turned everything, the seats, legs and stretchers.

Steve Voigt
12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
I'll probably use an old handsaw blade to make the blade for my reamer. So let's say I want to make a 6-degree taper. Does that mean there is a 6-degree difference from one edge to the other? Or does it mean that each side is 6 degrees from the center line? The second options looks more like the reamers I see sold on some of the chairmakers' websites.

Six degrees total. 3 degrees each side from the center line. Draw it out and you'll see. Though, as I said above, I think most of these reamers are actually more like 5 degrees. I just had another look at Jennie's article; she states that "most compass blades have a taper between 1:10 and 1:12." Now, 1:10 is 5.7 degrees, 1:12 is 4.7 degrees. So, if those are the slopes she's going for, then she definitely prefers less than 6 degrees, regardless of what it says.

Steve Voigt
12-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Beautiful work, Sean. I really like the milk paint. Have you ever tried the black and red thing, where the black wears through to expose the red?
I turned a bunch of green oak chair legs this fall; they are drying now. This experience confirmed to me that I suck at turning! Your turnings look really nice, on the other hand. You must have a good sized lathe to swing those seats!