PDA

View Full Version : EngraveLab Pro Inquiry

Shannon Bruce
12-10-2013, 2:45 PM
Hi everyone!

We are looking to upgrade our Newing Hall diamond engraver and realized that our current software is no longer available. It seems that EngraveLab Pro would be able to run both our Laser Machine and our Diamond Engraver and I am looking for some input on this software. We currently use Corel Draw for the laser machine, but if EngraveLab does it all, it would seem a logical move. What are some of your experiences with it?

Ross Moshinsky
12-10-2013, 3:05 PM
I have no experience with EngraveLab but I will tell you one flaw with working in one software like EngraveLab. What if you don't want to use the software in the future? Well with Corel you can import into another software relatively seamlessly. EngraveLab does not offer that kind of cross compatibility.

Now there are benefits of staying in one software package from an efficiency stand point but we made a business choice to run everything (more or less that is) through GravoStyle and it's a decision I would probably rethink if we had to do it all over again.

vic casware
12-10-2013, 4:27 PM
Hi,
I use Engravelab on my Dahlgren rotary engraver and do 90% of my laser design work
on Engravelab too, simply because i have used it for 15 years.
I don't think engravelab runs lasers very well (so i'm told) unfortunately, as i would ditch Corel
in a heartbeat if it did, I suppose it depends on what you laser, most of mine is industrial.
I don't mind running both softwares as Corel isn't expensive and they both have strengths
when it comes to importing certain files.
Sorry about the rambling on, it's been a long morning

Rodne Gold
12-10-2013, 5:04 PM
We run old versions of signlab and profilelab which both include the engraving modules and import CDRs originally designed for our lasers no problem , mostly it's just cut and paste. We only use it as a back end driver for our CnC router.
It works well for routing and engraving , never used it for laser engraving tho - we would rather stick with Corel for that.

Mark Sipes
12-10-2013, 6:22 PM
What Newing-Hall machine/contoller 300/350/400/450 TLC/ Apex I, Apex II, HPGL do you have and what system are you running.. win98/xp/win7/8

Tucker Alford
12-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I use both Signlab and Corel x5. Corel runs the lasers and sublimation processes along with graphic intensive artwork. Signlab for lasers, rotary engraving and vinyl plotting.
In my opinion signlab allows for faster processing of text change layouts. Very important in a high volume shop. The variety of devices that can be driven by Signlab is and should be the main reason to pay the price. Otherwise Corel "looks" nicer and cost less.

Mike Null
12-11-2013, 7:18 AM
EngravLab files can be used in corel and vice versa. Just export the Corel file in a plt, eps or pdf. I use Corel for almost all of my artwork but Engravlab is easy with text. I believe there is a Corel plug-in that comes with Engravlab.

If it were possible to run everything with Corel that would be my preference. In my view it is a superior and more flexible program.

Kev Williams
12-11-2013, 5:14 PM
EngravLab files can be used in corel and vice versa. Just export the Corel file in a plt, eps or pdf. ---or .dxf. I routinely shuttle files across 2 versions of Casmate, 2 versions of Gravostyle and Corel. What I don't use regularly is plt files, simply because of the low resolution with small items. Although that's alleviated by enlarging the item first, say 400%, then reducing to 25% on the re-open. Speaking of Corel, I do like that my new PHsoft/PHcad software has a Corel plugin, so I can do all the graphic finishing in Corel like I'm used to, then one mouse click and PH is ready to send it to my new laser.

Mark Sipes
12-11-2013, 6:31 PM
I ask again What Newing-Hall machine/contoller 300/350/400/450 TLC/ Apex I, Apex II, HPGL do you have and what system are you running currently.. win98/xp/win7/8

When you say upgrade it matters, so I can only assume it is a HPGL because nothing else can be upgraded..

Shannon Bruce
12-12-2013, 9:09 AM
I ask again What Newing-Hall machine/contoller 300/350/400/450 TLC/ Apex I, Apex II, HPGL do you have and what system are you running currently.. win98/xp/win7/8

When you say upgrade it matters, so I can only assume it is a HPGL because nothing else can be upgraded..

We have an Apex 1 controller running off Windows 95. The computer is starting to crash so we have to upgrade the controller as well.

Mark Sipes
12-12-2013, 12:13 PM
If the machine is running fine why not just invest in a computer running win98.....and keep JLS ?

Shannon Bruce
12-12-2013, 12:35 PM
If the machine is running fine why not just invest in a computer running win98.....and keep JLS ?

It really isn't logical to upgrade like that. We would just have to turn around and do it again in a period of time. It's common sense to upgrade to an OS and controller that are both still supported by their manufacturers. I was really just trying to see other people's opinion of EngraveLab to help in the decision making process.

Mark Sipes
12-12-2013, 4:36 PM
Totally understand....... I have upgraded and still run JLS, just needed to know exactly what system/software you were attempting to upgrade from.

Thanks

John Jackson
12-14-2013, 10:48 PM
I see in this thread some people using Engravelab and some people using Signlab with engraving. I have Signlab with Engraving module but do not use it. Is there much difference between Engravelab vs. Signlab with Engraving module?

Right now I am using Vectric VCarve Pro to run my rotary engraver. I already had it for my wood CNC router, and the controller I built to run my engraver needs G-Gode, The Signlab with Engraving module came wiith a second engraver that I am not using at the moment.

Thanks