PDA

View Full Version : CBN Wheel worn?

alex grams
12-10-2013, 2:18 PM
Maybe I am crazy but my CBN wheel seems to have diminished cutting/material removal in the center. I've tried cleaning it with a solvent (DNA), but it is still noticable that the edges of the wheel (which get less regular use) remove material at a higher rate than the center of the wheel (which is where I normally sharpen). The quality of the grind is still great, but the material removal rate is significantly diminished.

I didn't think these wheels would wear down to a noticeable level, but am I wrong? Or do I need to use a stronger solvent to clean it?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight Rutherford
12-10-2013, 2:38 PM
If your wheel is a Doug Thompson, I'd give him a call. Bet he will help. Let us know the outcome.

Paul Engle
12-10-2013, 3:06 PM
Sounds like it is clogging up with the metal from the gouges, the mfgr will know out to clean it out as I am not sure if they use a diamond dresser or not ..

Brian Kent
12-10-2013, 3:15 PM
Doug Thompson sells CBN wheels?

alex grams
12-10-2013, 3:26 PM
It was from D-way, I am checking with them. They said a heavier solvent should be fine to try, so maybe I will squirt a little naptha/MEK/acetone on it to see what I can do.

Reed Gray
12-10-2013, 3:27 PM
Well, I don't think that Doug sells wheels, but Dave at D Way does, and he also makes good turning tools. When the wheels are brand new, they are very aggressive. They do break in to a point, and are softer, still cut very well, and then seem to stay at the one spot without getting any softer. Not sure if that makes any sense or not. If you grind soft metals (carbon steel, brass, aluminum) on them, they can load up with the flakes (not powder) of the metal, and will there will be a noticeable bump as you are grinding. Take a scraper and sharpen it on the wheel, and that pretty much cleans it up.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2013, 3:45 PM
Sounds like the wheel is still in the process of getting broke in. When I first got mine - just like Reed stated - it was very aggressive. Now that I have used the wheel for a couple of years, it is evenly broke in across the face and while it still gives me a great edge, it is not nearly as aggressive as when I first started using it.

Dwight Rutherford
12-10-2013, 3:45 PM
I got Doug and Dave mixed up. My error, should have engaged my brain before letting my fingers fly. Glad others corrected.

robert baccus
12-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Even diamond wears down eventually.

Ralph Lindberg
12-11-2013, 6:07 PM
Even diamond wears down eventually.

Dave (at D-way) has shaped and sharpened literally thousands of tools and I believe is still using his original wheels.
The wear resistance and binding to the sub-straight is simply amazing.

Arlin Eastman
12-11-2013, 7:45 PM
Dave (at D-way) has shaped and sharpened literally thousands of tools and I believe is still using his original wheels.
The wear resistance and binding to the sub-straight is simply amazing.

I have always wondered how they worked. They were always way more then I could afford for my 6". I did see a Youtube on someone using one and it was razor sharp and the edge lasted longer then normal.
Arlin