PDA

View Full Version : Pen turner Question

chuck vernon
12-10-2013, 1:30 PM
I have never turned pens but decided to do a couple letter openers. I have never turned anything on a mandrel before. After setting my maple burl blank on the Mandrel and tightening the knurled nut as tight as I can by hand I still cannot keep the blank from stopping as soon as I touch a tool to it. What am I doing wrong?

Brian Brown
12-10-2013, 2:07 PM
You could try gluing the tubes to the mandrel with super glue. :eek::eek::D No just kidding, Really. It would stop the spinning, but be very difficult to get off the mandrel. Although not my first recommendation, you could use pliers to very slightly tighten the brass nut. Some turners with arthritis or other problems have to do that, but there are other problems that can be caused by getting the nut too tight. What is your order of assembly with bushings and pen blank parts? Is the brass nut bottoming out at the end of the threads, before compressing the parts/ bushings? If it is, just add a spacer to keep the nut from hitting the end of the threads. Are you tools sharp, and correctly presented to the wood? You should be cutting not scraping. Scraping wood usually puts a lot more pressure (more tool area contact) on the wood, and is likely to cause slipping. If the blanks start square, you could be just getting your tool caught on a flat side, and be stopping the blanks, like chocking the wheel on your car. The answer here would be less tool pressure, and more spindle speed, within safe limits. Without being there, these are just a few guesses as to what the problem might be. Others will likely have other suggestions.

Steve Peterson
12-10-2013, 2:09 PM
Try a lighter touch and a sharper tool. It gets easier as the blank gets closer to round.

Steve

John Terefenko
12-10-2013, 4:20 PM
Is the blank spinning on the tube?? Maybe it came loose of the tube. Did you square the ends so that the bushings are seated against the ends flat.

chuck vernon
12-10-2013, 5:25 PM
Yes the blank is spinning on the mandrel. I squared the ends and tightened the nut with pliers. I am not bottoming out on the threads. I can tighten it with the pliers and than turn it on the shaft with my hand.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2013, 5:54 PM
First, I would remove the blank and see if you can push the tube out. I agree with John. I'd be suspicious of the blank not being properly glued to the tube.

I have never had to use pliers to tighten the nut on the mandrel.

Light touch with a sharp tool should result in the blank not spinning.

Kenneth Hertzog
12-10-2013, 5:59 PM
Maybe what the problem is that the mandrel is turning in the head stock
assuming that it is a MT1 or MT2 mandrel and the whole works is stopped
not spinning on the mandrel.
Ken

Lee Reep
12-10-2013, 6:07 PM
The nut should not be tightened with pliers. You should be able to get enough friction by hand tightening. If the nut is too tight, it can cause the mandrel to bow, and possibly bend. If threads are still available (you are not running out of space to advance the nut), then it sounds like the wood is spinning on the tube. I've had this happen a few times when using CA to mount the tube, never when epoxy is used. But I like to use CA since you can turn pretty soon after gluing in the tube.

Duane Meadows
12-10-2013, 6:36 PM
Did it require a 7mm drill bit? If not, are you using the proper bushings for the kit you have?

chuck vernon
12-10-2013, 8:28 PM
The blank is definitely turning on the mandrel. The blank is slightly proud of the tube so the bushings are tightening on the wood not the tube. As I said, I can tighten the nut and than easily turn the blank with my hand.

Doug W Swanson
12-10-2013, 10:22 PM
What RPM are you turning at? When turning pens I usually turn the speed up to 2000 or more. If I get catches like that, I'll try and take lighter cuts....

Tim Leiter
12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
The blank should not be longer than the tube. The bushings are probably just spinning against the wood blank. It should help if you trim the blank so it is even with the brass tube. The bushings are supposed to be tight against the tubes in order for it to spin while you shape it. JMO..................Tim.

John Terefenko
12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
The blank is definitely turning on the mandrel. The blank is slightly proud of the tube so the bushings are tightening on the wood not the tube. As I said, I can tighten the nut and than easily turn the blank with my hand.

This is not good. The wood needs to be even with the ends of the tubes. That is why I asked if you squared the ends. That what that means. You need to make the ends even with the tube. Can be done on a sander or use a barrel trimmer with the proper shaft to fit the tube used. Never tighten that nut with pliers. Hand tight is all that is needed. You need to look further into your problem and I still suggest to see if the tube did not come loose of the blank. This happens alot if not glued in properly. Good luck.