PDA

View Full Version : full inset hinge for 1/2" thick door?

Michael Dunn
12-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,

I've been searching and searching, but have yet to find a full inset hinge for a 1/2" thick door.

Do they even exist? If so, any leads on where to purchase online?

glenn bradley
12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
I use mortised butt hinges on thin inset doors all the time so I'm going to assume you are looking for kitchen-type or 35mm concealed-type hinges(?). Maybe some of our cabinet pros can chime in. It seems to me that I have red about "Blum" hinges being used on thin stock with some method or technique.

Michael Dunn
12-10-2013, 1:35 PM
I can't imagine a 35mm cup hinge being used on 1/2" stock without at least put on some sort of wood strip to build up the area where the hinge will go. That's not really an option for me.

Ethan Melad
12-10-2013, 2:27 PM
Knife hinge?
http://woodworker.com/516-straight-knife-hinge-mssu-100-400.asp

what is the door for?

Michael Dunn
12-10-2013, 2:32 PM
I suppose that may work. The door is for a dining table/island I'm building.

Jeff Duncan
12-10-2013, 3:17 PM
Hmmmm, what kind of door are you making that's only 1/2" thick? My initial reaction is if it's wood, that's never going to stay flat…..but admittedly I don't know any of the details. I'm sure you can find something to work with a 1/2" door, I'd just be skeptical about using a 1/2" door for anything larger than maybe a jewelry box?

good luck,
JeffD

Michael Dunn
12-10-2013, 3:32 PM
Hmmmm, what kind of door are you making that's only 1/2" thick? My initial reaction is if it's wood, that's never going to stay flat…..but admittedly I don't know any of the details. I'm sure you can find something to work with a 1/2" door, I'd just be skeptical about using a 1/2" door for anything larger than maybe a jewelry box?

good luck,
JeffD

28"Hx14"W, was planning on using edge banded MDF cherry plywood. I suppose I could use 3/4" solid cherry. The trouble with that is that I plan to put some decorative 1" strips in a criss cross (vertical and horizontal, not diagonal...) I wanted the 1" wide 3/16" thick strips to be flush with the frame.

Brett Bobo
12-10-2013, 3:33 PM
Assuming this is a small, cabinet door, take a look at a SOSS invisible hinge, such as the #100 or #101 for a 1/2" thick door. Note: the minimum material thickness for both of those hinges is 1/2" so the walls of the mortise will be thin. The do take some pre-planning to ensure alignment but one of the benefits is they can be used for inset applications where there's a reveal/setback from the front face (of the case, leg, etc.) to the face of the inset door and still be able to have a door that can open 90 degrees.

http://www.soss.com/soss_invisible_hinge_model_101/?DepartmentId=1721