PDA

View Full Version : What to check on used drill press?

Brian LaShomb
12-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm going to look at a used Powermatic 1150. It looks to be in good condition, but what should I look for? I know the tables are often drilled into, and I'll check the belts and the spindle. It's a single phase, 3/4hp model from the late 80s when they started the gold color.

I've been driving myself mad trying to shop for a drill press between the Steel City and Delta models being almost unattainable unless you order online. The only ones I can look at it person is the new Jet/Powermatic stuff.

Brian LaShomb
12-10-2013, 2:53 PM
I've done some searching around. I'm going to listen for bearing noise... not sure how quiet to expect it to be, but I'll use my best judgement. Replacing the bearings might be something to do anyway. Will listen to it on all speeds. Will extend the quill and see how much play is in the chuck if wiggled back and forth. Will load up a drill bit and visually look for run out.

Even with a few issues, it's still gotta be better than paying $1400 for a new Powermatic that doesn't seem to quite have it's issues worked out yet.

Jeff Duncan
12-10-2013, 3:08 PM
The Powermatic 1150 is a good deal beefier than those other presses your looking at. If it's the variable speed it's a bit noisier as well. Not an issue for me, but just an FYI if your experience is mostly with say hobby sized presses. Also if it's variable speed you want to run it through the speed range and make sure it adjusts smoothly. Machines that sit in shops and get used at the same speed all the time can have pulleys frozen to the shaft. If it runs well I wouldn't necessarily be worried about bearing replacement right off the bat. I'd use it for a while and if all is well than enjoy it until it does need bearings. If it does need bearings or other work there are some good break downs over on OWWM showing how everything goes together.

These are great heavy duty drill presses for wood use and will likely last a lifetime and more with any reasonable amount of care. They're also plentiful which makes it slightly easier to get parts than some other less popular presses. You just want to make sure you find one without any major problems…..unless it's cheap enough to warrant you doing the work;)

good luck,
JeffD

Brian LaShomb
12-10-2013, 6:12 PM
Ended up taking it home. Very tight, great condition. Original owner, even had manual and parts list.

Brian LaShomb
12-10-2013, 7:04 PM
Jeff,

The only thing I noticed was it shifted to higher speed settings almost effortlessly, but back down was very stiff. The speeds were definitely changing, could a pulley still be frozen?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Kent
12-10-2013, 8:46 PM
Congratulations on the new beast. May it serve you for your lifetime.

Jeff Duncan
12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Jeff,

The only thing I noticed was it shifted to higher speed settings almost effortlessly, but back down was very stiff. The speeds were definitely changing, could a pulley still be frozen?

Thanks,
Brian

Nope that's normal, if it was frozen it would not change at all;)

OK so here's the longer answer……the way the variable speed works is by using a split pulley system. The front pulley is opened and closed to change the speed of the press. So it goes higher easier b/c your working with the spring. It's harder coming back down b/c your going against the spring, or compressing it. It's actually a neat system and I recommend getting a good look at it in action to see how it works while you adjust the speed. I would only recommend maybe adding a little oil to the pulley to keep her in good shape. I don't remember what exactly is recommended, though a little digging on OWWM should yield an answer. Actually a second thing I'd recommend is getting into the habit of running her through the speed range whenever you use it. Only takes a few seconds and it will keep your pulley from sticking over time;)

Anyway congrats on your new press…..I think you'll find she's capable of almost anything you can throw at her!

good luck,
JeffD

Steve Baumgartner
12-11-2013, 3:49 PM
Nope that's normal, if it was frozen it would not change at all;)

OK so here's the longer answer……the way the variable speed works is by using a split pulley system. The front pulley is opened and closed to change the speed of the press. So it goes higher easier b/c your working with the spring. It's harder coming back down b/c your going against the spring, or compressing it. It's actually a neat system and I recommend getting a good look at it in action to see how it works while you adjust the speed. I would only recommend maybe adding a little oil to the pulley to keep her in good shape. I don't remember what exactly is recommended, though a little digging on OWWM should yield an answer. Actually a second thing I'd recommend is getting into the habit of running her through the speed range whenever you use it. Only takes a few seconds and it will keep your pulley from sticking over time;)

Anyway congrats on your new press…..I think you'll find she's capable of almost anything you can throw at her!

good luck,
JeffD

As noted above, it is normal for a Reeves drive to change more easily in one direction than the other because one of the split pulleys is spring loaded - it helps you when you expand it and fights you when you squeeze it. However, if it is *really* stiff, you should definitely lube the shaft where the pulleys ride. I had one that the grease gummed up and it became so stiff that the pulley eventually broke!

Doug Ladendorf
12-11-2013, 4:19 PM
Congrats on an awesome press. Mine is just a bit older ('70) but very similar internals and I love it. Keep in mind it would be a good $3000 to get that quality new today. You may need to lube the quill as well so it travels smoothly. Don't force anything if it seems stuck. Lots of owners on OWWM if you need help. Enjoy.

Lee Reep
12-11-2013, 6:15 PM
Brian,

If you don't mind sharing, what did you have to pay for the drill press? I have an older Delta benchtop drill press, and would like to find an older floor model like you found. Just a little curious what older premium-brand iron is going for. I have a Powermatic bandsaw and love it. Hope your new drill press gives you great service.

Brian LaShomb
12-11-2013, 8:23 PM
Thanks for all the info, it's moved into the shop now, when I fire it up I'll have a look at the pulleys and the Reeves drive system.

Yes, I got frustrated trying to find a new drill press only it doesn't have variable speed, or it doesn't have a big quill travel, or a quill lock etc.

The guy who sold it to me wanted $700. When I looked at it, I expected to go lower, but it was in excellent condition, single owner and even had the manual and parts listing. I thought it was a good deal so I gave him what he asked.

Jeff Duncan
12-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Personally I think you did pretty good! I'd say anything under $1k for that machine in plug and play condition is fair. Certainly when you look at what new drill presses cost:eek: I paid slightly less for mine at about $600 several years ago. Though mine is older and has some runout which I'll get around to someday, anyway I was happy to pay it as I don't think you can go wrong buying quality;)

JeffD