PDA

View Full Version : Making a header look thicker

Mike Elo
06-08-2005, 3:57 PM
I'm in the process of finishing a porch soffit and need make the header look thicker so my coulombs and caps look better where they meet the header. I figured I would just fur it out and cover it with a plywood. My concern is the butt joints of the plywood looking like crap. I want it to look like one solid beam. One person said to sheetrock it, but I'm a little concerned with moisture problems. I don't think caulk would completely conceal the joints either. Any suggestions? Mike.

Todd Burch
06-08-2005, 5:32 PM
Miter the ends of the plywood where they meet on the outside corners. I've used this technique several times.

Mike Elo
06-08-2005, 7:25 PM
My porch is 50' long so I'll have 4 butt joints in between each corner where the plywood strips will be hung end to end.

Jim O'Dell
06-08-2005, 7:38 PM
I think I'd still miter the joints, just like you would any moulding that has to have a joint. It will be less noticable than a butt joint. Use some bondo on the seams and sand smooth, and I bet the joints will dissappear. Jim

William OConnell
06-08-2005, 8:35 PM
Ive used exterior grade spackle with succes. Use fberglass tape with plywood

Todd Davidson
06-08-2005, 8:54 PM
I agree with Jim, scarf joint and bondo.

Jerry Olexa
06-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Miter joints will do it but you might have a better, natural look if you use 1X stock (3/4") instead of ply. I wouldn't use sheetrock.

aurelio alarcon
06-09-2005, 2:21 AM
I saw Tom Silva of This Old House use and recommend bondo to fill in joints wherever you are going to paint. I have used bondo myself, and it works out great! Just fill, sand and paint.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 8:24 AM
Don't use drywall, even the "wet" stuff (Green) is not meant for outdoor use. You will end up with mush.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-09-2005, 9:55 AM
For the look of a solid beam you'll have to miter the corner joints and bondo them...there's just no other way to do it. For all 'interior' joints, use butt joints and bondo.