PDA

View Full Version : New here needing help

Wayne L Smith
12-10-2013, 8:06 AM
Good morning all. My name is Wayne Smith and I have been a hobby woodworker for over 30 years. Yeah, I have some age on me. I was once, years ago, part of an internet woodworking forum called Badger Pond, until Wayne decided he needed a life and closed it down. I am a charter member of Castboolts.gunloads.com.

To the point. I have a Record RPML300C that I bought about 20 years ago. I now need to replace the headstock bearing, the one nearest the work. Does anyone know how this is done and what bearing is needed. Does someone repair these or is this best done locally?

Wayne the Shrink

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2013, 8:11 AM
Wayne - Welcome to the Creek! I am unfamiliar with your lathe but hopefully someone here will be able to answer your questions.

Wayne L Smith
12-10-2013, 8:58 AM
Steve, it's one of the English made Records that Woodcraft used to sell. It is an early midi size with a swivel headstock so one can turn larger pieces. I understand that Record's quality has gone down since they are having their lathes made in China but this is one of the good ones!

I am currently running it floating the bearing in oil, but that won't last long.

Dwight Rutherford
12-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Bearings are standard whether or not they are English or metric sizes. I'd pull the bearing measure the ID, OD and thickness with a pair of English/metric vernieer calipers. If you don't have the calipers HF sells them. Go here for the bearings. http://www.vxb.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? They are very helpful and should have what you need.

Scott Hackler
12-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I have had very good luck going to my local auto parts store with bad bearings. They mic them on site if they can't find a number on them and are able to get me a replacement. You might try that.

Roger Chandler
12-10-2013, 12:42 PM
+ 1 on VBX.com.........I have bought from them and got extra good service and high quality bearings at a good price.

Wayne L Smith
12-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Yah, the question is, how do I get it out and back in? I'm a psychologist, not a machinist! Somewhat handy, but need close instructions. Are these press fit in? Do I need to take it to a machine shop?

Dwight Rutherford
12-10-2013, 1:19 PM
You can usually tap the bearings out. If you would feel better, take the headstock to a machine shop. They can measure the bearings for you and probably offer replacements. ( notice I used the plural, good idea to replace both front and back bearings while you have it apart.)

Wayne L Smith
12-11-2013, 7:51 AM
Thanks, Dwight. Thank all of you. I tend to 'tap' with an overly large hammer. I think I'd better find a machine shop.