PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Shrink in the House?

Carl Eyman
06-08-2005, 3:29 PM
I need mental help badly! Today Lowe's openned a new store In my homwtown of Thibodaux. I went over and took a look at all the shiny new tools on display. Not one of them made me drool. Not one made me wish I had an extra $1000 bill in my wallet. What is wrong with me? This is not a natural state of affairs.

Steven Wilson
06-08-2005, 3:48 PM
It's perfectly normal. I no longer have a need to buy things when I go to Home Depot, Rockler, Lowes, or Woodcraft. Geese for some stuff I can't even buy disposable stuff at these places (Woodcraft doesn't carry a bandsaw blade that fits my MM20). I guess it's just a sign of maturity. Now, when Harrelson Stanley shows up at a woodworking show I can easily drop a grand on stuff.

Arnie Grammon
06-08-2005, 3:56 PM
If you ever do have the extra $1,000.00, please pm or email me to get my correct mailing address and send check ASAP.

:D
Arnie

Jim Stastny
06-08-2005, 4:00 PM
Actually it is a good sign. It's like fishing. When you first try fishing you just want to catch fish. After a few trips you want to catch a lot of fish. In time what you want are the biggest fish. Finally, as time progresses you want the best fish.

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 4:17 PM
Yea, but something else will catch you eye. I haven't bought any tools in awhile. I don't even bother visiting the tool areas of HD or Lowes anymore! But I sprung for a video camera this week...can't be without one once you have kids. But just like woodworking tools, it's the "accessories" that get you big!! Filters, lenses, tapes, software...sheesh! I guess I need some "couch time", too...

JayStPeter
06-08-2005, 5:09 PM
No problems there Carl. My wife has even noticed how much quicker I get in and out of the borgs these days. If I do linger in the tool area, it's usually because I want something better but need it now. So the decision is get something junky that will get me by and order a better one, or get a mediocre one and live with it.

Jim, don't worry, as soon as you get all the accessories you'll get a new camera ;)

Jay

Don Baer
06-08-2005, 5:13 PM
My wife has gotten in the habit of getting me gift cards from HD for my birthday, christmas etc. The last two or three times I have taken them in to redeem, I find that there not much in the tool department I need so I head over to the lumber department and use them on material....

I guess that means I got or don't need all of the toys that they carry

John Shuk
06-08-2005, 8:47 PM
Lowes near me redesigned the tool crib and it is lackluster at best. They even have a little more stuff but it is not cohesive. Whatever that means. I just like to look for clearance deals.

Jerry Olexa
06-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Many of us (unfortunately) tend to acquire a taste for some of the finer/better tools that aren't found in the local Lowes.

Bob Borzelleri
06-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I need mental help badly! Today Lowe's openned a new store In my homwtown of Thibodaux. I went over and took a look at all the shiny new tools on display. Not one of them made me drool. Not one made me wish I had an extra $1000 bill in my wallet. What is wrong with me? This is not a natural state of affairs.

Yes, but retired. Take a couple of aspirin and ...

...Bob

Wes Bischel
06-08-2005, 11:49 PM
"I just like to look for clearance deals."

Thank you John - now I know I'm not alone!! :D :D

Wes

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 8:21 AM
I get a pretty decent discount on Craftsman tools, actually if I work it right, I get some down right stellar deals. I bought my SCMS for 60% of retail...

Anyway, I am the same way, I don't really look there much anymore... Bits and blades yes, tools nope :)

Dave Anderson NH
06-09-2005, 3:36 PM
You don't need a shrink my friend, you just need a different level of temptation. Lowes and HD don't tempt me in the slightest. However having a 2 Rocklers, 2 Woodcrafts, and a great local place called Brentwood Machinery all within an hour and a quarters driving is much more dangerous to the wallet. Worse, a week from tomorrow, we are doing a guild trip to Warren Maine where wallets get emptied easily and very quickly. At least on my way home my wallet will be a good bit lighter and won't be so hard to carry around.

My prescription to help you improve your mental health is for you to get out your copies of the Woodcraft, Lee Valley, and Tools for Working Wood catalogs and a small plastic card from your wallet. Trust me, you'll feel better very quickly.:D

Chris Padilla
06-09-2005, 7:29 PM
Many of us (unfortunately) tend to acquire a taste for some of the finer/better tools that aren't found in the local Lowes.

Jerry's got me figured out...what with my garage full of F....;)

Still, I like to take trips to Sears and look at all the mechanic's tools and such (I stay far from their ww'ing stuff)...pressure sprayers have been off and on my mind lately so I look at those when I'm there....