PDA

View Full Version : Monster hollowing rig - AC/DC conversion

John Keeton
12-10-2013, 5:37 AM
Earlier in the spring, David DeCristoforo posted this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201626-Monster-Laser-quot-Retrofit-quot) on his Monster Laser "Retrofit" in which he converted his laser to AC power to get rid of the problems associated with the battery pack. I saved that thread and finally got around to converting mine. I opted not to include the switch as done by David, deciding instead that it would be fine to just leave the laser on for the duration of any hollowing session - for me, usually about and hour or more depending on the form.

This was so simple, I wish I had done it when I first got the hollowing rig! No more fading laser spots, no more tapping the battery pack to keep a solid connection, and no more replacing the batteries.

Over time, we have accumulated all sorts of AC/DC power adapters, but not one of them was 3 volt!!! So, I did have to buy the adapter - about $13 off Ebay. Other than that, this was a quick and simple conversion. I am fortunate that I have a 110v outlet in back of my lathe on the tailstock end, and the cord on the adapter was plenty long enough. Otherwise, one might need to splice in another piece of wire.

Polarity has to be right, so check that prior to finalizing your connections.

Doug W Swanson
12-10-2013, 9:20 AM
Great idea. I love it when a simple change works well....

Roger Chandler
12-10-2013, 10:44 AM
I might need to check that thread out again. My monster rig laser box has a corner chipped off it, and I just replaced the batteries this week......first time since I had it, so that is not too bad. The laser dot was still showing well, but starting a new form, I did not want to get halfway through and have to change them out..........my rig is 2 years old at least.

Are there contact points on the laser to solder the adapter wires to?

Brian Libby
12-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info John, I just ordered a monster rig yesterday.

John Keeton
12-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Are there contact points on the laser to solder the adapter wires to?Roger, I just snipped the wires coming in to the battery case, leaving enough to splice it back in should I want to do that in the future. I first used crimp connectors to make the connections, but it was stranded 18 ga. wire, and I apparently was not getting a good enough connection. Ended up sliding on a piece of shrink tube on each wire and just twisting the wires together. The shrink tube and taping the wire down good on the laser bar seems to work just fine.

David DeCristoforo
12-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Since then, I have dumped the switch box completely. My laser is now wired "directly" to the PS as you have done. The only dif is that I soldered an RCA plug to the wire at the end of the laser bar so I can detach the PS for more convenient storage when not in use.

Roger Chandler
12-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Roger, I just snipped the wires coming in to the battery case, leaving enough to splice it back in should I want to do that in the future. I first used crimp connectors to make the connections, but it was stranded 18 ga. wire, and I apparently was not getting a good enough connection. Ended up sliding on a piece of shrink tube on each wire and just twisting the wires together. The shrink tube and taping the wire down good on the laser bar seems to work just fine.

Thanks for the info, John.......that sounds easy enough!