PDA

View Full Version : how to share a grocery list

Mark Bolton
12-09-2013, 7:59 PM
Hello all..
I just received a galaxy note 8 tablet and have been getting it sync'd with my iphone. My GF has an android phone (s4).

Im trying to come up with a way to have a sync'd note pad of some sorts to act as a grocery list for whom ever may op to stop.

Id rather this not be app based. Im running almost all google apps on the iPhone (go figure) so that that helps.

Any ideas (guessing this is simple)

Thanks,

Pat Barry
12-09-2013, 8:56 PM
I would send email but there must be a better way.

Matt Meiser
12-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I know you said not app-based, but Microsoft One Note stored on Sky Drive and shared with her. There are iPhone, iPad, and Android (and of course Windows Mobile) versions of the app. You can access it from any computer with a web browser too or obviously full Microsoft One Note.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote-help/welcome-to-onenote-mobile-HA102754662.aspx

We've been doing this between my wife, daughter, and myself for almost a year now. We have a section fro shopping lists, with a tab for each of our regular places (Kroger, Costco, Lowes, etc) We're getting pretty good about whipping out a phone or going on the computer and adding things when we think of them rather than forgetting to write it down when we make the list. The rule has become no complaining if you wanted something and it isn't in the One Note.

We also a section for todo lists with tabs for specific lists which change over time--spring yard work, maybe a chore list for my daughter, etc. This spring my wife and I spent an hour walking around the yard looking at everything we needed to do while I added them to the list with my iPad.

I have my own personal One Note too. Working on a project for my parents? Snap pictures right into the notebook with the camera then add any dimensions or other notes. Later I can open on my shop PC and everything is there.

John M Wilson
12-09-2013, 11:31 PM
If there is a compatible app for "WorkFlowy" (google it) then I'd try it.

This is the most useful list-maker I have ever used! (I use it on my PC and laptop -- I've got a very dumb phone).

You can share your lists, so that your SO can update your Honeydew.

Mike Cozad
12-10-2013, 5:04 AM
I know you mentioned app based would be a limitation for you, but there is an app that is designed to do exactly what you propose. It is a checklist or shopping list and can sync across multiple devices. It's called ColorNote, free on the play store. I use it between my Galaxy Tab 2 and my S3. Your other option is to save a file, like a google doc on google drive, which can be shared with just about anyone.

Mark Bolton
12-10-2013, 9:29 AM
I know you said not app-based, but Microsoft One Note stored on Sky Drive and shared with her. There are iPhone, iPad, and Android (and of course Windows Mobile) versions of the app. You can access it from any computer with a web browser too or obviously full Microsoft One Note.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote-help/welcome-to-onenote-mobile-HA102754662.aspx

We've been doing this between my wife, daughter, and myself for almost a year now. We have a section fro shopping lists, with a tab for each of our regular places (Kroger, Costco, Lowes, etc) We're getting pretty good about whipping out a phone or going on the computer and adding things when we think of them rather than forgetting to write it down when we make the list. The rule has become no complaining if you wanted something and it isn't in the One Note.

We also a section for todo lists with tabs for specific lists which change over time--spring yard work, maybe a chore list for my daughter, etc. This spring my wife and I spent an hour walking around the yard looking at everything we needed to do while I added them to the list with my iPad.

I have my own personal One Note too. Working on a project for my parents? Snap pictures right into the notebook with the camera then add any dimensions or other notes. Later I can open on my shop PC and everything is there.

Wow.. thanks Matt...
I am really looking forward to making this tablet a productivity booster rather than just a time suck.. I wish I hadnt gotten the iphone 5 as an upgrade from my smashed 4 but I chickened out when I got in the att store and just stuck with the iphone. She just upgraded to a galaxy s4 and its super sexy phone but im affraid it would be too big for me an wind up broken in the construction world.

Im making headway on getting all this stuff sync'd, calendars, and such. Not being a techy its a bit of work but I can see where it could be very advantageous.

Kevin L. Pauba
12-10-2013, 9:29 AM
I use Google Keep -- easy to send a note or list (with checkboxes) via text, email, QR code, Google Drive, etc. If you use Chrome, there's a Keep plugin that allows you to do the same in your browser (and have them automatically update the phone).

You might not like the taste of the Koolaid, though. :)

Mark Bolton
12-10-2013, 9:31 AM
I would send email but there must be a better way.

Pat,
That would be my default as well but I was thinking something that was dynamic so to speak. Could be added to, deleted from, at any time and having a phone in pocket at all times the list would always be with you. She is a post it note list person but that does no good if Im the one stopping or vice versa.

The quest continues....

Thanks..

Mark Bolton
12-10-2013, 9:37 AM
I use Google Keep -- easy to send a note or list (with checkboxes) via text, email, QR code, Google Drive, etc. If you use Chrome, there's a Keep plugin that allows you to do the same in your browser (and have them automatically update the phone).

You might not like the taste of the Koolaid, though. :)

I downloaded keep last night (im a google junkie, hence my reply to matt about my upgrade). Im looking into it.

My only reason for thinking of getting away from an app (yet another app) is that I am very much a google user and her on the android phone I thought it maybe something already resident in the phone. Its a stumbling block I likely shouldnt have put in front of me (avoiding another app, heck apps are what these things are all about).

For some reason I have this thing about keeping my phones, computer, clean and free of un-needed gee-gaws and I take that a little too far (especially when my devices rarely go over 50% storage capacity). I think this is something I have never gotten over from back in the 386-486 pre pentium days and floppy disks,.. stupid.. :D

No worries about the koolaid here.. Thanks for the help!!

Chris Kennedy
12-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Does the iPhone run Google Drive? My wife and I just have a spreadsheet that we update at any computer we have (work, home) as well as phones, but ours are both Android phones.

Chris

Bill Edwards(2)
12-10-2013, 1:36 PM
Dropbox or someone's Cloud. (Not and app... a service)

A document you can both see and access.

Biff Johnson
12-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Try Evernote...it works awesome and free! You can have other people included in your notes and reminders. There is lots of plug-ins to add more functionality, like ability to work jointly on a note or project in real time. I'm not a techie so don't be worried that it's confusing. Super easy to use!

Dune Crane
12-11-2013, 11:37 AM
I was thinking Evernote for this as well.

Matt Meiser
12-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure if this has changed but you had to pay for shared edit ability on Evernote.

Kevin L. Pauba
12-11-2013, 9:35 PM
Hope it works out for you Mark.

I forgot to mention that even if you don't have Chrome, you can visit www.google.com/keep and access your notes from any browser.

Biff Johnson
12-12-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure if this has changed but you had to pay for shared edit ability on Evernote. We don't have the paid version and we share notes all the time.

Shawn Christ
12-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Why not app based? My wife and I use Cozi's app on our phones and website on our PCs... http://www.cozi.com. App is free with ads, or pay for premium features ad-free.

Jon Shank
12-17-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm going to go with the trend and suggest an app. First, yeah Evernote is awesome. My wife and I use it to share stuff and I also use it to share stuff with co-workers(separately of course), and to sync stuff onto my laptop. Very effective app. It doesn't really

But to speak to your particular question, we use an app called Grocery Smart, available for Andriod and for iwhatever. You can set up a shopping list and when you update it on your phone because you bought something or added something, it will automatically sync with her device and update the list. So you don't buy things twice and you get updates to what you need to pick up while your there. When you start up Grocery Smart on your device, you hit the sync button (it can probably do kit automatically but it's just a habit now, so I haven't looked) It's really simple to use, and works great. We use it all the time.

Jon

Matt Meiser
12-17-2013, 7:26 AM
We don't have the paid version and we share notes all the time.

But can you both edit? We used it for a while bit didn't like the fact we couldn't edit a shared note.

https://evernote.com/premium/