PDA

View Full Version : Freud RS1000 or RS2000 Sets?

Kevin Post
06-08-2005, 3:15 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Freud RS1000 (or RS2000) rail and stile cutter set for my shaper to make kitchen cabinets. This set offers interchangeable profiles for a variety of door styles. The RS2000 comes with every profile available for $599 while the RS1000 is just the cutterheads for $300. The profiles must be purchased individually for about $26 a set. I'll probably buy the RS1000, if anything.

Do any of you have experience with this product?
Is there another, similar product that you would recommend instead of this product?
Who offers the best deal? So far, I've looked at Amazon and Woodworker's Supply...

-Kevin

martyphee
06-08-2005, 4:03 PM
I've been wanting a set of these myself for quit some time. I would definitely go with the RS1000. I haven't found any feedback on woodcentral or the rec for these or the RP1000 (raised panel). I really like the option of al the different profiles.

I think amazon by far is the best deal.

Matthew Batarseh
03-15-2006, 1:10 PM
did either of you ever get the sets? If so, what are your impressions? How do the knives hold up? I am thinking about getting the 1000 sets and a couple of profiles for each one.

tod evans
03-15-2006, 1:43 PM
kevi, call c.g. schmidt and speak to them. they sell several different brands of insert cutters as well as freud......02 tod

Matthew Batarseh
03-15-2006, 2:22 PM
Tod,

do you have contact info for CG Schmidt? I cant find a web address on google................

never mind - I found it

Jeff Singleton
03-15-2006, 2:44 PM
I have had the RS1000 set for about 6 years and it works great. Run it at 10,000 and not 8000, the higher rpm gives a much cleaner cut. I could not justify getting the whole set when I use the same profile over and over. If you plan on using a feeder pump up the feed speed, faster is better then slower. The set cuts good enough for hand feed but make sure your fence is closed as much as possible. I just did 80 rail and stiles this morning, breeze comes to mind. I use a Delta 3hp shaper. My set came with the two heads and one set of cutters for each plus a set of bushings and shims. It a good set and worth the price. Got mine at Wood Tech in Fairview, NC, 800-866-5464. One tip, get yourself a Weaver tenon sled, works great and is a LOT safer.

Jeff Singleton;)

tod evans
03-15-2006, 3:02 PM
Tod,

do you have contact info for CG Schmidt? I cant find a web address on google................

never mind - I found it

sure try here.
http://www.cggschmidt.com/

Kevin Post
03-16-2006, 1:53 PM
I never did end up buying either of these. I bought another set for $100 from some merchant on that online auction place everyone talks about. The set came with a bunch of cutters and accepts Amana inserts. I modified one of the knife sets that came with it to make some cabinet doors.

If I were doing production work, I would've probably gotten the RS1000.