PDA

View Full Version : Vintage / Antique Saws, Not Sure What I have... Help!

Stephen Gregg
12-09-2013, 7:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I actually posted this in another section, but didn't realize this area would be a better spot to post...

I'm new to woodworking tools and I recently came across some vintage / antique hand saws and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I have.

Here's the list of items / specs and pictures:

- 13" hacksaw, JSB 800
- 26" saw, no mention of the make.
- 20" saw, w/#9 on the back of the blade toward the handle
- 24" Thin blade Disston saw
- 26" Disston saw w/ a very ornate handle
- 16" hacksaw w/ tag Warranted Superior

If anyone has information on how old these saws are or if they're valuable, let me know.

Thanks!

Steve

Judson Green
12-09-2013, 7:47 PM
Someone will be along with much better info than I could provide but in the meantime you might wanna check out "the disston institute".

Tim Atkins
12-09-2013, 8:09 PM
The 4th picture looks like a No. 12. The plate along the bottom of the handle is curious. Also, the Disston Medallion might be a replacement for lost medallion. The carving on the grip area is not your standard carving. You might have a winner. Some more pictures of the plate on the bottom of the handle and the handle would clear up some of the question. I am sure some one will be able to give you more information. The handle craving is very distinctive.

Tim

Jim Koepke
12-10-2013, 1:10 AM
As Judson mentioned, you can find out more about the Disston saws at disstonianinstitute.com/

There is a section on the time line of the different medallions used. The pictures of your saws do not show enough detail for me to determine any dates.

A number stamped into a plate under the handle is usually the number of point per inch when the saw left the factory.

Warranted Superior was a medallion used by many makers for second line saws.

The

Andrae Covington
12-10-2013, 1:40 PM
JSB was (is?) a Japanese company, the hacksaw probably dates from the 1950's.

On the tenon saw (what you've called the 16" hacksaw), I'd say the handle was either a user replacement or the saw was manufactured well after the golden era, say 1960's to 1970's.

The yellow-ish handled saw is also post-WWII.

The 9 on the 20-inch saw is points per inch. Most likely a crosscut. Looks like it is missing the medallion so could be hard to identify that one, though it might have had the generic Warranted Superior medallion anyway. Hard to tell in the small photo but sort of has Disston D7 or D8 look.

As the other guys said, check out the disstonianinstitute website for medallions and other handle details.

Tom Vanzant
12-10-2013, 2:54 PM
The saw in picture 3 looks like a pre-1927 Disston D-20 that has lost over an inch in width thru many sharpenings, although the deep U-notch at the top doesn't look right, nor does the finger cut-out.

Stephen Gregg
12-10-2013, 4:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback and info, I'll definitely check out the Disston institute and see what else I can find.