PDA

View Full Version : Walnut crotch wood platter

David A. Peterson
12-09-2013, 6:44 PM
8 3/8" diameter, 1 1/4" height, finished to 3000 grit, and at the time of this photo, one coat of Minwax Tung Oil finish. Took me 6 hours to turn, sand and finish this piece. The decorations are courtesy of the guest speaker (Frank B. Penta) we had at our Woodturner's meeting last Tuesday night. Frank is past president of the Woodturner's Guild of North Carolina. He has also been featured in AMERICAN WOODTURNER and is a co-author of WOODTURNING TOOLS, TECHNIQUES AND PROJECTS. This was my FIRST platter after a great demonstration!

Dave Peterson

Leo Van Der Loo
12-09-2013, 7:36 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and you brought it all out to show, very nice and well done :)

Marc Himes
12-09-2013, 7:58 PM
What a great piece of wood and an excellent job of showing it off. Lots of nice texture on the bottom. Well done.

Thomas Canfield
12-09-2013, 8:15 PM
Nice job. There is a lot of detail work there shown. Frank does like to embellish his pieces. He did four one day workshops in addition to demo 2007 for the East Texas Woodturners in Tyler, TX. I was lucky to attend a workshop, but it was a couple of weeks after cataract surgery and I did not have correct glasses to see detail. I will admit that I have not followed through on doing some of the texturing seen in demos. Your piece makes me want to try again.

David A. Peterson
12-09-2013, 8:36 PM
Nice job. There is a lot of detail work there shown. Frank does like to embellish his pieces. He did four one day workshops in addition to demo 2007 for the East Texas Woodturners in Tyler, TX. I was lucky to attend a workshop, but it was a couple of weeks after cataract surgery and I did not have correct glasses to see detail. I will admit that I have not followed through on doing some of the texturing seen in demos. Your piece makes me want to try again.

I used the Sorby texturing tool (a serrated wheel on an axle at the end of a lathe tool). To get different designs, you just apply a different angle of where the wheel contacts the wood. Each circle took about 30 seconds to do. One of the things Frank said: When you use the texturing tool, make sure to create a bead on either side of the texture. That highlights it and gives it a more professional look.

Bill Hensley
12-10-2013, 6:31 AM
Very classy piece of work. Great job on all the design elements and finish.

Paul Engle
12-10-2013, 2:52 PM
The underside treatment is spot on ! Very nice indeed , keep up the great work !!!

Michael Poorman
12-10-2013, 3:48 PM
Great job utilizing a beautiful piece of wood. Walnut is one of my favorites. I just don't have much of it right now... I actually don't have any walnut logs. Who wants to trade for some Birch? :) Sorry, got side tracked there. I love the beads and texturing. You did a very good job incorporating these elements without over doing it.

Thomas Canfield
12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=David A. Peterson;2191166]I used the Sorby texturing tool (a serrated wheel on an axle at the end of a lathe tool). To get different designs, you just apply a different angle of where the wheel contacts the wood. Each circle took about 30 seconds to do. One of the things Frank said: When you use the texturing tool, make sure to create a bead on either side of the texture. That highlights it and gives it a more professional look.[/QUOTE

David - That was what Frank said, and also to practice. I just need to take a piece of wood and practice the texture, turn it off, and keep repeating until the wood is gone, and not start on a finished piece. I have the Sorby tool also.