PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Metal

Graham Haydon
12-09-2013, 4:48 PM
Just to save me too much time experimenting on alternative methods what would you guys do to polish up the back and saw plate on one of these http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/produc ... tenon-saws (http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/product/woodsaws/traditional-brass-back-tenon-saws) ? They are quite rough a feel like they will need some reasonable elbow grease.

Note: I respect the fact this may not be essential and may be viewed as a waste of time by some, that said I do want to improve the feel and look of the tool to suit my needs.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Griggs
12-09-2013, 4:52 PM
I would just work up through fine grits of sandpaper. I think I polished the backs on my shop made saws up to 600 starting from 220, which gave a semi polished semi matte finish. If they are really rough start coarser.

David Weaver
12-09-2013, 5:08 PM
Ditto to what chris says, though I didn't go beyond 220 in my case, I was just careful to make sure the scratches were all running in the same direction.

If you go beyond a matte finish, the saw will show every fingerprint and ding or touch of any other object. Sort of the same case as plane sides and bottoms.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-09-2013, 9:08 PM
If I can get at it well, I just like to draw-file it. If you keep the file clean, you can a reasonably nice finish off a nice, fine, single-cut file that way, and it's quicker than sanding.

Hilton Ralphs
12-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Getting the saw plate to a mirror finish certainly had its advantages especially on the left side if you're right handed.

What about one of those polishing mops that you can chuck into a (gosh) powered drill?

Derek Cohen
12-10-2013, 12:54 AM
There have been several reports of success using bunched up aluminium foil and metal polish. Not tried it myself, but the photos are compelling.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-10-2013, 9:12 AM
I totally missed that we were talking about the plate as well - I was just thinking the brass back.

Bill White
12-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Derek beat me to the polish with alum. foil trick. I use MAAS polish with crumpled foil, then wax.
Bill

Graham Haydon
12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone. Will post some pics when done.

Ryan Baker
12-10-2013, 8:39 PM
I didn't have as much success with the aluminum foil and polish trick. It did help a lot, but didn't produce the same results some have posted. Maybe I started with a worse plate, and maybe I just need more elbow grease. I was using Flitz polish if I remember right. It helps, but it isn't what I would really call polished.

Chris Vandiver
12-10-2013, 11:11 PM
I didn't have as much success with the aluminum foil and polish trick. It did help a lot, but didn't produce the same results some have posted. Maybe I started with a worse plate, and maybe I just need more elbow grease. I was using Flitz polish if I remember right. It helps, but it isn't what I would really call polished.

Use Autosol. Big difference over Flitz. Start with a clean saw plate(no rust).

Ryan Baker
12-11-2013, 8:04 PM
Use Autosol. Big difference over Flitz. Start with a clean saw plate(no rust).

Yeah, I'm going to try that. I didn't have any at the time, but I do now.