PDA

View Full Version : Storing unused finish

Phil Thien
12-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Looking around locally for Pratt and Lambert #38, all I can find is gallons. The price seems reasonable, so I figured I'd buy a gallon but I'd like to preserve it best I can. To that end, I'm thinking of breaking it down into smaller containers. Is getting some empty steel paint cans in quart sizes my best bet? Think I can get those at a paint store?

I'd sort of like to find the quart containers that Watco comes in, but I don't know if I'd be able to find empty ones locally, but they are handy for pouring smaller amounts.

Any tips for storing this stuff so it is handy to use and extends the shelf life, would be welcome.

Jim Rimmer
12-09-2013, 12:52 PM
You might look at the Container Store if htere is one near you.

Prashun Patel
12-09-2013, 1:29 PM
I would look for a source of "Ball" canning jars, and use those. Glass is non-reactive and opens/closes with a better seal than paint cans. The only downside is they are not opaque, so they're best stored in a dark area.

Phil Thien
12-09-2013, 1:52 PM
I would look for a source of "Ball" canning jars, and use those. Glass is non-reactive and opens/closes with a better seal than paint cans. The only downside is they are not opaque, so they're best stored in a dark area.

Thanks Prashun! I had thought about glass, but was worried about the see-through-ness. But you're right, I could just store them in a cardboard box.

Hmmm...

Do you have any idea how long oil-base varnish would last in a glass jar stored in a cardboard box?

Jerry Thompson
12-09-2013, 2:35 PM
I store all my varnish and tung oil in Mason Jars. I give each one a blast of dust off for computers and they have yet to gel or thicken.

Phil Thien
12-09-2013, 2:56 PM
Well how long do you think the stuff would last in glass jars? The amount I buy depends a bit on how long I can keep the stuff.

Scott Holmes
12-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Pour it in and fill it close to full top it off with Bloxygen or another inert gas and seal 'em up. I have stored P&L #38 for a few years still good as new. Teflon plumbers tape on the threads makes the jar easier to open. &L #38 does not need to store in total darkness its not that light sensitive.

John McClanahan
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
The air space gives the liquid room to expand if it gets warm. Without air space you risk broken glass. Storing the really full glass jars in zip-lock bags will catch the mess if something goes wrong.

John