PDA

View Full Version : Java

Fred Belknap
12-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I keep getting a message that I need to update my Java. Is this some kind of scam or do I actually need it?

Frank Trinkle
12-09-2013, 11:03 AM
You NEED it! Java is constantly being upgraded to improve features and efficiency, but more importantly, to plug security problems. It got so bad on security last year that Apple blocked Java from their operating system for a couple of months until Sun fixed it.
It's a painless upgrade and needed...get it!:D

Fred Belknap
12-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks Frank, I will go ahead and update.

Rick Christopherson
12-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Warning!! When you are browsing a website and get any sort of message that you need to update your software or install any sort of add-on, do not click on the button from that website. Go out and manually find the software or update, and install it from the source's website. Even if it is a trusted website, such as your frequent news outlet, you cannot be certain what you are installing when you click that button.

Malware providers use this trick to get into your system because it bypasses a lot of the normal security features when you assume you are installing something legitimate. Even news organization websites aren't immune to this because the malware provider is posing as an advertiser, and this activity may go undetected by the news organization for a period of time. It can be this remote advertisement that creates the pop-up to update software.

As for Java, there is still a security bug with older versions. When Java performs an update to the newest version, it does not remove the older versions. Therefore, the security holes in the older versions are still open. So you need to manually uninstall past versions of Java.

David Masters
12-09-2013, 12:54 PM
If you require Java, you need to keep it updated. Oracle should send you update information, and if you receive a massage from a website, I would instead go to java.com to download the update. There appears to be a lot of security issues with Java lately. I've been telling people that Java is unnecessary for most personal computers, so unless you know of an application that requires it, you should just uninstall Java from your computer. Rick makes a good point that older releases/versions of Java need to be removed as Oracle/Sun hasn't removed them by default.

Dave

Rick Christopherson
12-09-2013, 1:44 PM
That's a good point. I believe there may still be some websites that require Java to be running, but that should be getting much less frequent. So it is a good idea to disable Java in your web browser unless/until you discover a site that does legitimately require it. Even if you do come across a website stating that Java needs to be enabled, first check whether the site is still functional without it. It may simply be that an advertisement is trying to use it.

As for simply having it installed on a computer, there are some applications that do require the Java environment to operate. Most notable would be some Adobe products, like photoshop and apparently OpenOffice.

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2013, 3:06 PM
Also, be careful with the install of it. Sun partnered with someone (I can't recall who) and part of the installation has a box checked for installing something like Norton, McAfee, or some Yahoo tool bar or something. Just make sure you uncheck that box before installing it.

Dan Hintz
12-09-2013, 4:15 PM
The update notice for Java should come from your taskbar (the clock area), not a website.

Curt Harms
12-10-2013, 10:17 AM
AFAIK, running Java on a machine without having network connectivity is not too much of a risk. I don't know about other browsers but with Firefox, it's pretty easy to disable the Java browser applet while leaving Java installed, or I can set it to always ask permission before allowing Java in the browser session. Libre Office & I assume Open Office are working to reduce or eliminate their Java dependence.

Good advice about not using the "click here" button. I'm amused by some of the emails we get. Firefox & Thunderbird will show the link's URL in the lower left corner of their window. I've never figured out why major banks and credit card companies have Yahoo or Gmail email addresses:D.

Lee Reep
12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Also, be careful with the install of it. Sun partnered with someone (I can't recall who) and part of the installation has a box checked for installing something like Norton, McAfee, or some Yahoo tool bar or something. Just make sure you uncheck that box before installing it.

I hope this does not become a trens with other companies. I wondered why my PC was running McAfee security check, and then noticed the check box for it when updating Java. I want an update to ASK me if I want to add some new feature or add-on, and not do it the way Java does it. If Adobe does it, I'm doomed. I cannot believe how often they do updates for Reader. Am I really going to miss out on some highly desirable new feature that will heighten my PDF-viewing experience? :)

Dan Hintz
12-10-2013, 12:48 PM
I cannot believe how often they do updates for Reader. Am I really going to miss out on some highly desirable new feature that will heighten my PDF-viewing experience? :)

No, but you're more likely to be caught out by the myriad of gaping security holes Adobe insists on including in their products :)

Phil Thien
12-10-2013, 1:07 PM
There aren't many sites that require Java. Most websites use JavaScript (built into he browser), few use Java (you have to install this). I normally advise just uninstalling Java completely. I've never seen a product so flawed with security vulnerabilities as Java.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-10-2013, 1:29 PM

This thread led me to ok the never ceasing prompts to update Java. I did right up to the point that it wanted to install some junk stuff on the toolbar, and change some preferences. Cancel, and whatever needed Java to run, I don't need it either.

Sorry to sidetrack, but one of you guys knows I'm sure, what is Silverlight, and why should I care that it is wanting to update?

Rick Christopherson
12-10-2013, 1:35 PM
Silverlight is a video playing software from Microsoft. Not all videos play on the same player, so you probably do need it. I believe Netflix uses Adobe, but many other sites use Silverlight.

Myk Rian
12-10-2013, 4:11 PM
Java will check on its own for them, and show a popup.
Silverlight also has security issues.

Dan Hintz
12-10-2013, 7:00 PM
Sorry to sidetrack, but one of you guys knows I'm sure, what is Silverlight, and why should I care that it is wanting to update?

In a nutshell, Silverlight is Microsoft's version of Adobe's Flash. Video is just one piece of it, but it also includes user interactivity.

Steve Baumgartner
12-11-2013, 3:55 PM

+10 if you already have an antivirus program installed. These products are notoriously incompatible with each other and will wage war to absorb every available moment on your computer. Last time this happened to me, the computer became almost totally unresponsive! Plus, these products are a pain to uninstall once they are in place.