PDA

View Full Version : 3 Tongue Drums Finished -- **PICS**

Ken Salisbury
06-08-2005, 1:18 PM
I finally got around to finishing the 3 tongue drums I have been working on.

From left to right in the group photo:

No 1. 3/4" curly cherry top
3/4" figured walnut sides
1/2" walnut bottom

No 2. 3/4" poplar top and bottom
1/2" walnut sides (mitered)

No 3 3/4" curly cherry top
3/4" figured walnut sides
3/4" walnut bottom
(all edges ˝" roundover)

Check this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20769) to see how I got to this point. ;)

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/tonguedrums/drum60501set.jpg

DRUM #1:

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/tonguedrums/drum60501.jpg

DRUM #2

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/tonguedrums/drum60503.jpg

DRUM #3

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/tonguedrums/drum60502.jpg

Gary Hoemann
06-08-2005, 1:36 PM
Ken, those are very cool--I can imagine how they sound. Did you have plans for these, or is it strictly your own creation?

Ken Salisbury
06-08-2005, 1:42 PM
Ken, those are very cool--I can imagine how they sound. Did you have plans for these, or is it strictly your own creation?

No plans - used examples from photos on the internet and some help from Wes Newman who generated some patterns for me from the same sources. Here is a .pdf file (http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/Tongue Drums.pdf) with some of the patterns I plan to modify and use:

Dave Avery
06-08-2005, 1:51 PM
Hi Ken,

Beautiful looking work, though I have to show my ignorance.... what's a tongue drum? Is it a south-of-the-Mason-Dixon line thing or am I just out of touch? Again, great craftsmanship. Dave.

John Hart
06-08-2005, 1:52 PM
Man! Tough to figure out which one I like the best. I think I love them all Ken. Beautiful work. Ok ok...I have to go with #3 on the basis of wood and tongue design. Very very nice sir.

Frank Chaffee
06-08-2005, 1:55 PM
Hey Ken,
The drums are beautiful, and jeez, I think I can hear them from here! After I share this link with LOML, I am sure that my woodworking future will have a bunch of tongue drums on the honey-do list.
Thank you for sharing these with us, and please share your learning curve! …A .wav file might be a good mood setter. Those patterns are cool… I like the one with the dolphins. I think it may lend itself to an MC Escher like design.
Frank

Ken Salisbury
06-08-2005, 1:56 PM
Hi Ken,

Is it a south-of-the-Mason-Dixon line thing or am I just out of touch? Dave.

Only if the Mason Dixon Line is in Africa :D :D They are takeoffs of African style drums.

Wes Newman
06-08-2005, 2:38 PM
Lookin Good, Ken!!! Can't wait to see the next ones. Now we need to see some turned handles on those mallets.;)

John Hart
06-08-2005, 2:43 PM
Lookin Good, Ken!!! Can't wait to see the next ones. Now we need to see some turned handles on those mallets.;)

Oh yeah!!! Turned handles! Good one Wes. I bet nobody does that.

David Wilson
06-08-2005, 2:45 PM
Great looking drums Ken. Do you have a stratigy for tuning?

Tyler Howell
06-08-2005, 2:49 PM
You are making beautiful music there Ken.
Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Ken Salisbury
06-08-2005, 2:50 PM
Oh yeah!!! Turned handles! Good one Wes. I bet nobody does that.

We have already thought of that and it is on the agenda for this weekend.

nic obie
06-08-2005, 2:50 PM
Ken,

Those drums are cool. I'm in the process of making a few.

What are the drum sticks made of and about how thick are the top and sides?

Ken Salisbury
06-08-2005, 2:51 PM
Great looking drums Ken. Do you have a stratigy for tuning?

No strategy per se - just trial and error -- still in the learning process :D

Fred Ray
06-08-2005, 2:59 PM
I did one years ago for my kids with just plain ol' straight tongues. I really like the designs you've got there. Thanks, Ken, for sharing the PDF. Maybe the grandkids (if my young'uns willl get busy) will get a nicer version.:)

Jason Tuinstra
06-08-2005, 3:15 PM
Ken, very cool idea! If they sound as good as they look, you've got a real winner on your hands!

John Miliunas
06-08-2005, 9:05 PM
Those are great, Ken!:) Need to get on some myself, as I think they'll make great gifts. Hey, good pics, but now we also need some wav files to go with them!:D :cool:

Todd Davidson
06-08-2005, 9:14 PM
Fantastic job Ken! Kim makes djembes (African origin - like the drum one of your first tongue drums was sitting on in your first post) and is interested in learning to make tongue drums. Is it okay if she PMs you on the subject?

Doug Shepard
06-08-2005, 9:45 PM
Very nice work! Cant decide which I like better - 1 or 3, but they're all nice. One thing I'm a bit puzzled about though. You mentioned on the original thread that "a neighbor from over a block away came down to see what the druming was about". Is there a soundhole on the bottom of those? It just seems that the openings on the top wouldn't be big enough to allow them to generate as much sound as they otherwise might with a larger soundhole somewhere on the box. Just curious.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Is there a way to tune those drums? Just cirious.

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2005, 1:45 AM
Is it okay if she PMs you on the subject?

Sure - No problem

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2005, 1:47 AM
. One thing I'm a bit puzzled about though. You mentioned on the original thread that "a neighbor from over a block away came down to see what the druming was about". Is there a soundhole on the bottom of those? It just seems that the openings on the top wouldn't be big enough to allow them to generate as much sound as they otherwise might with a larger soundhole somewhere on the box. Just curious.

Drum #1 in the photo has a 1" hole in the side. The one we were playing that day had the same contruction and tongue design as #2 except with a beech top. The sound just resonates and carries a long way. You just have to hear one to believe the sound.

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2005, 1:53 AM
Is there a way to tune those drums? Just cirious.

This is a tough question for a novice tongue drum maker :D . The answer is "Yes". Do I know how to actually "tune" one? The answer is "No". I do know that strategically place holes/openings and the type of material for the tops, the mass of the tongues, etc make a difference. I AM LEARNING AS I GO :D :D

aurelio alarcon
06-09-2005, 2:38 AM
absolutely beautiful!

Don Palese
06-09-2005, 3:01 AM
Hello Ken,

Thanks for the great pictures; I'd like to build these for my grandchildren. Do you have drawings for the tops - that you would share ???

Thanks,

Don

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2005, 9:33 AM
Hello Ken,
Do you have drawings for the tops - that you would share ???

Thanks,

Don

This is a pdf file (http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/Tongue Drums.pdf) of some of the patterns I captured from the internet.

Mark Singer
06-09-2005, 9:55 AM
These really look terrific! They make great gifts also.

Charles Hans
06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Very Nice Ken, Is there much difference it the sound from the different wood used? Whitch one sounds the best in your opinion?
I guess I will have to venture into another project for the grandkids.
Thanks for sharing.
Chuck

Pete Simmons
06-11-2005, 8:42 PM
Ken: As you know I am working on a "Whale" drum. Clamped the pieces in place and tried it out. Looked good - Sounded real bad. Bad enough I was reluctant to keep going thinking there must be something I can do to improve the sound. With your advice, I went ahead with it. Now still in clamps but glued and dried less than one hour the drum sounds GREAT. I cannot believe the difference the glue makes. On to sanding and finishing. With a little luck I will post a picture next week. Thanks for your help.

Ken Salisbury
06-12-2005, 6:00 AM
Very Nice Ken, Is there much difference it the sound from the different wood used? Whitch one sounds the best in your opinion?
I guess I will have to venture into another project for the grandkids.
Thanks for sharing.
Chuck

My research indicated a lot of toungue drum makers say that padauk makes the best drum top. I am currently making 3 identical drums using padauk, bloodwood and curly cherry to compare the differences (if there are any). It is the only way I can come up with to decide "which is best" since there are so many other variables which effect the 'sound'.

I will post the results when I get them made and tested.

Ken Salisbury
06-12-2005, 6:03 AM
Now still in clamps but glued and dried less than one hour the drum sounds GREAT. Thanks for your help.

Just wait until you get it free of the clamps - you will find it will sound better by an order of magnitude.

Pete Simmons
06-12-2005, 7:27 AM
Clamps off this morning and you are right it sounds even better.
I wonder and will look into if I can record the sound via the computer and run it through a program to find the frequency of the note. Then see what musical note that goes with. May be able to do some tuning that way.

Bill Esposito
06-12-2005, 7:56 AM
Very, very nice Ken.

Jeff Skory
06-12-2005, 8:03 AM
Very, very nice Ken. I think you may have provided the seed I was looking for to try something different. I'll have to try building one of these as well as do some research on wooden drums. Researching things for me is half the fun.