PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving acrylic pens question

Craig Coney
12-09-2013, 12:51 AM
My son is making an acrylic pen & pencil set for his coach and we would like to get them engraved with the basketball league logo & the coach's name.

I have a couple of questions. At what point in making the pens is it best to have them engraved? I would presume before they are assembled.

How how much should I expect to pay for this? Then kits are the Woodcraft Wallstreet II kits.

Thanks
Craig

Steve Busey
12-09-2013, 7:48 AM
Craig, right, the best time to engrave the pen is after the tube is turned and finished/polished, but before final assembly. If you can find a walk-in shop near you, it ought to run $10-15ish, maybe more depending on any setup work the logo might need. If you need to ship it off, add postage on top of that. What part of Colorado do you hail from - maybe an area engraver will pipe up here.

Mike Troncalli
12-09-2013, 9:47 AM
I echo what Steve said. We engrave hundreds of pens per year. We always engrave before assembly just in case something goes wrong with the engraving. Also you might want to look into some color fill if you are engraving acrylic, I can't see where that would show up very well.

Keith Outten
12-09-2013, 6:10 PM
Craig,

You will find a sizable list of engravers in our Friends of The Creek Directory and their locations.
Click the link below.

Craig Coney
12-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the Friends of the Creek Directory also.