PDA

View Full Version : Resaw blade for 19", 3hp Grizzly bandsaw?

David Kuzdrall
12-08-2013, 6:46 PM
I am currently limping through the use of a 1", 3ppi Lenox blade that is causing me nothing but trouble. The blade initially had a bad weld that was not flush with the back of the blade and now I can only guess that I have strangely set teeth based on the wavy defect that it shows when sawing regardless of thickness or roller bearing gauge....I get better resaw cuts with my 3/8 blade...

That said, I am looking to get a different OEM blade that will balance kerf size with blade life for resawing with max yield and high quality cut.

Any suggestions for this size saw?

thx

Frank Trinkle
12-08-2013, 7:00 PM
Three words.... Laguna Resaw King. Expensive, but the best you can buy...and can be resharpened 3-4 times. Will cut veneer 1/16th...maybe even less!

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessories/resawking

Erik Loza
12-08-2013, 7:28 PM
David, which Lenox blade is this that has the issue? And what type/size of wood are you wanting to resaw?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Charles Coolidge
12-08-2013, 7:29 PM
Frank...okay I see how you are I'll get you back for that (Charles walks away mumbling something about needing a $247 resaw king blade)

David Kuzdrall
12-08-2013, 7:46 PM
David, which Lenox blade is this that has the issue? And what type/size of wood are you wanting to resaw?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

the blade is a woodmaster B and I use it for any strait rip cut from 1/2" thick material to 12"

Matt Meiser
12-08-2013, 8:52 PM
Frank...okay I see how you are I'll get you back for that (Charles walks away mumbling something about needing a $247 resaw king blade)

He's right though. They are buy one, get one half off if you can find someone to share the deal with.

Erik Loza
12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
the blade is a woodmaster B and I use it for any strait rip cut from 1/2" thick material to 12"

Sure, you could pay for an exotic blade but I would just get another that is not defective, get it set up properly, and see how that works for you needs.

Good luck,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David Kuzdrall
12-09-2013, 7:24 AM
Sure, you could pay for an exotic blade but I would just get another that is not defective, get it set up properly, and see how that works for you needs.

Good luck,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

are there other bi-metal options out there with a thinner kerf?

David Hawxhurst
12-09-2013, 8:39 AM
the blade you use for 1/2" material should not be the same as cutting 12" material. the tpi requirements are vastly diffrent. for 12" material 1-2 tpi would work and 6-8 tpi for 1/2" material.

Erik Loza
12-09-2013, 9:04 AM
are there other bi-metal options out there with a thinner kerf? Well, yes, but the blade with a thinner kerf might not be the best choice for ripping big stock. I recommend all bandsaw owners try an assortment of blades. You can get blades that will resaw aggressively but will leave a pretty gnarly finish (I believe the Woodmaster-B is in this category) and you can get blades which leave a finer surface finish, such as a Lenox Die-master or a Highland Hardware Woodslider, but will be more sensitive to feed rate and pressure. In my experience, there is no magic blade that does it all and each design of bandsaw will have blade styles and sizes it likes more than the next. Hope this makes sense and best of luck,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Rich Riddle
12-09-2013, 10:00 AM
He's right though. They are buy one, get one half off if you can find someone to share the deal with.

Yes. If you want one, write a post in the forum asking for someone else looking for a blade like yours. You each get roughly 25% off your blades that way if you find someone wanting a blade approximately the same length as yours.

David Kuzdrall
12-09-2013, 5:38 PM
the blade you use for 1/2" material should not be the same as cutting 12" material. the tpi requirements are vastly diffrent. for 12" material 1-2 tpi would work and 6-8 tpi for 1/2" material.

I understand that; I only mentioned it in the context of this sawing "defect". To answer directly; I am trying to source a good resaw blade for resaw work in the 6" - 12" range.

David Kuzdrall
12-09-2013, 5:39 PM
Well, yes, but the blade with a thinner kerf might not be the best choice for ripping big stock. I recommend all bandsaw owners try an assortment of blades. You can get blades that will resaw aggressively but will leave a pretty gnarly finish (I believe the Woodmaster-B is in this category) and you can get blades which leave a finer surface finish, such as a Lenox Die-master or a Highland Hardware Woodslider, but will be more sensitive to feed rate and pressure. In my experience, there is no magic blade that does it all and each design of bandsaw will have blade styles and sizes it likes more than the next. Hope this makes sense and best of luck,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

makes sense; Thank you.

David Hawxhurst
12-09-2013, 9:55 PM
i've had good luck with mk morse blades. don't remember who i bought it through, but they can recommend a supplier.