PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly (stupid!!!) True Story!

Steve Cox
06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Normally I am a very safe worker but I made a mistake a few minutes ago that was almost very costly. I was putting a dado set on my TS and had neglected to unplug the saw (told you it was a stupid mistake). While I am bent over the saw putting the first chipper on, my 20 mos old son decided to demonstrate a brand new trick. He reached between my legs and turned the saw on. No damage to me because since the blades weren't tight on the shaft they took a couple of seconds to catch and spin up. I knocked my son about three feet when I jumped back but he's okay also. I think I just had a very good reminder why you always unplug tools before changing bits and blades. This particular hazard (my son) is not one I considered before. The only real consequence is that I will need a new dado set. One outside blade and one chipper were all that was on but they banged against each other and broke a lot of teeth. I can live with that since both my son and I are both okay. Anyway, BE SAFE, safer than I was!:o

Jim O'Dell
06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
That's a good reminder, Steve. We all need to be better about thinking outside the box, as to other "things" that can cause a problem besides ourselves. Kinda like driving defensively, watching for the other guy. Glad no one's hurt!! Jim.

Wes Bischel
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Close call for sure! I had a similar experience. Luckily my now 3 year old demonstrated his trick while the saw was unplugged and I was at the bench. :eek: I guess when a switch is down at their eye level it is tempting. We now review the number one rule as we prepare (apron and safety glasses) to go into the shop - "no pushing buttons or turning on switches"

Glad you are all safe - blades are cheap in comparison.

Wes

Michael Gabbay
06-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Steve - Glad to hear you and your son are ok. I have 6 year old twin boys and they love to be in the shop with me. However, when I'm using power tools I have them go to the far end of the shop or leave the shop until I'm done. I also unplug everything when they are in the shop. You never know when they want to try to do something they saw dad do.

Mike

Steve Cox
06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I had actually thought about the kids in the shop when I rewired and put all the outlets in a separate sub-panel that I could turn off and lock so that no one could turn on tools when I wasn't there. I also never turn on tools when my kids are in the shop. I was setting up for an operation that I was going to do later. It just never occured to me that he would turn on a tool while I was working on it. Just a mental mistake that was almost very costly.

Keith Hooks
06-08-2005, 12:54 PM
I think "near misses" like this are always good to tell people about. Constant reminders are good to keep me from getting complacent!

Tim Morton
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm going to play the "jerk" here. Why was your 20month old son walking around in your woodshop while you were working? IMO that is too young.

David Fried
06-08-2005, 1:09 PM
Glad everyone survived!

This is why I put shutoff boxes on the walls for each piece of equipment. Easy to use so I do - but like unplugging, if you don't ....

Look out for future tricks! I happen to know that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches fit perfectly into a VCR and the machine will suck them in and attempt to play them! Maybe I should have unplugged that too!

Michael Ballent
06-08-2005, 1:10 PM
Glad to hear that you are ok, but I think that the last thing that you would want in the shop would be a child or even a pet for that matter. I have developed a habit of placing the end of the unplugged cord right next to the business end of the tool when I am changing things out, whether its the TS, BS, router etc, and even then I double check things. For me there is plenty of time to complete the project vs a trip to the ER.

Steve Cox
06-08-2005, 1:15 PM
Tim, I guess that's a question that should be considered. I am a stay-at-home dad and part-time cabinet maker. I bring my son out into the shop when I'm doing something that doesn't involve turning power tools on. If I'm working with hand tools at the bench, cleaning up, doing maintenance, or setting up for later operations he can be there. I only run the power tools when he's asleep or when my wife is home and can watch him. In this particular case, I was setting up for a later operation and just hadn't thought the process through enough.

Kurt Aebi
06-08-2005, 1:15 PM
That is the EXACT reason that OSHA requires that any machine being worked on at your workplace has been Locked Out & Tagged (Lock Out/Tag Out Procedures) to prevent ANY accidental turning on of Power!

You are a real lucky man - if your equipment has the little "keys" on them, now is when you start removing them when the machine is not in use.

You are right that the cost of a new blade is SMALL compared to what may have been. The blade could have just as easily become a missile and hit your child. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!

And thanks for the thread, as it will surely get us all thinking next time there is anyone else around when we are working with our machines.

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2005, 1:36 PM
Tim, I guess that's a question that should be considered. I am a stay-at-home dad and part-time cabinet maker. I bring my son out into the shop when I'm doing something that doesn't involve turning power tools on. If I'm working with hand tools at the bench, cleaning up, doing maintenance, or setting up for later operations he can be there. I only run the power tools when he's asleep or when my wife is home and can watch him. In this particular case, I was setting up for a later operation and just hadn't thought the process through enough.Which brings up the question: is he tall enough to reach the bench surface? A tool doesn't need a cord to be dangerous.

Mike Monroe
06-08-2005, 1:37 PM
I gotta agree with Tim on this one. A 20 month old is just too young to be in a workshop. You were lucky, this time. What about the next time?

Small children and machinery are never a good combination.

lou sansone
06-08-2005, 1:42 PM
glad everyone is ok. I will also be the jerk.... enough said

lou

Steve Cox
06-08-2005, 1:53 PM
Well I certainly don't claim to know all the right things to do when it comes to parenting (many times I think I don't know anything :o ). It looks like I need to reconsider what my shop rules are in regards to the kids. He has been out there for some time now and has always just sat on the floor and played with his toys. As he gets older he is becoming more dangerous because he wants to explore more. One more change in a life where change is a daily habit!

Frank Pellow
06-08-2005, 1:58 PM
Steve, thanks for the reminder. I am glad that you and your son are OK.

I think that the most important rule in my shop is to unplug each power tool after it has been used. But, on occassion, (I would say about 2 percent of the time) I do find that I have forgotten to follow this rule. :(

I do let my grandchildren Isla (5) and Ethan (3) into the shop and, sometimes, I even use power tools while they are present (they are wearing earmuffs, of course). But, I really really do need to acheive the 100 percent level for unplug after use rule because anything less is jeprodizing my grandchildren.

Tim Morton
06-08-2005, 1:59 PM
Well I certainly don't claim to know all the right things to do when it comes to parenting (many times I think I don't know anything :o ). It looks like I need to reconsider what my shop rules are in regards to the kids. He has been out there for some time now and has always just sat on the floor and played with his toys. As he gets older he is becoming more dangerous because he wants to explore more. One more change in a life where change is a daily habit!

Being a stay at home dad obviously shows that you are in fact a GREAT parent!!! And trust me we all feel like we don't know a thing about parenting...just wait till he gets old enough to TELL you that himself:D

Glen Blanchard
06-08-2005, 2:10 PM
..just wait till he gets old enough to TELL you that himself:D

Oh, you mean that has happened to more than just ME???? :eek:

Chris Fite
06-08-2005, 2:31 PM
What a close call. This is one of the reason that I don't allow children in my shop unless invited.

Fred Ray
06-08-2005, 3:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up safety reminder, Steve. This sort of post maybe will keep someone else from having the same thing happen with posibly far worse results.

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2005, 4:43 PM
As Tim and Glen have said, wait till they get about 13 thru the age of 18. The 2 X 4 under your bench waiting to be cut will be smarter than you. Trust me, I felt that way several times throughout the years with my kids.

You are a great parent and don't forget it. Thankfully no one was hurt. It is a reminder to one and all in the shop safety first.

Bernie

Kevin Herber
06-08-2005, 10:58 PM
That story scared the crap out me just reading it. :eek: Thank God no one was hurt. I too ask that you reconsider your shop rules regarding a toddler. At 20 months he can now reach power tool switches. In just a few more he will be able to reach up to the workbench and grab a chisel or a plane.... Unfortunately, he is tall enough to get into trouble, but not big enough to clearly train to obey the shop rules.

SWMBO is a surgical nurse in pediatrics. The horrors she sees, the miracles she and her people perform. Please be careful and thanks for the scare. Sometimes we all need to be reminded to be extra anal with our children and safety.

Steve Cox
06-09-2005, 1:04 AM
Kevin, Mine is an ER nurse. You should have heard her comments when I told her what happened.:o

Kevin Herber
06-09-2005, 7:01 AM
Uh Oh, Steve. I Feeeeell your pain!!!!

-- Kevin

John Hart
06-09-2005, 7:37 AM
I'd like to throw in my 2 cents. First off, I'm glad your "lesson" involved no maiming or blood! Second, you should keep in mind that kids of all ages do not understand "when is a good time". They interpret occasional freedom in the shop as free reign and constantly test the boundaries. With that said, I can imagine you concentrating on a fine TS cut that takes 30-45 seconds and in that time...anything can happen.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 8:43 AM

Steve, I think you are showing that you are a great dad. I will take the other side of the fence here and say that I don't agree that you should exclude him from the shop. I would say that you do need to give him more of your attention, but my whole family lived on a farm. We had free reign of that farm from the time that we could crawl. Our parents kept a watchful eye over us until we learned the rules. No one was ever seriously hurt and we all cherish the time we had on the farms.

I think you son will be the same way, he just may need a little more supervision until he learns the rules. Another option may be a fenced play area for him in the corner of the shop. Just be sure to keep him included.

Dino Makropoulos
06-09-2005, 9:17 AM
Just to remind you that most woodworking accidents on the home shops are from....

This particular hazard (my son) is not one I considered before.

Every home shop needs a kill switch. Imagine if your son desides to cut some wood while you're out.
YCF Dino

Frank Pellow
06-09-2005, 9:56 AM
Steve, I think you are showing that you are a great dad. I will take the other side of the fence here and say that I don't agree that you should exclude him from the shop. I would say that you do need to give him more of your attention, but my whole family lived on a farm. We had free reign of that farm from the time that we could crawl. Our parents kept a watchful eye over us until we learned the rules. No one was ever seriously hurt and we all cherish the time we had on the farms.

I think you son will be the same way, he just may need a little more supervision until he learns the rules. Another option may be a fenced play area for him in the corner of the shop. Just be sure to keep him included.
I'm with Jeff on this. Kids do belong in a shop and they deserve our attention when there. My Mum was an ER nurse and, as long as I can remember, she encouraged my interest in machinery as long as PROPER SAFETY RULES were followed.

John Hart
06-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm with Jeff on this. Kids do belong in a shop and they deserve our attention when there. My Mum was an ER nurse and, as long as I can remember, she encouraged my interest in machinery as long as PROPER SAFETY RULES were followed.

Yeah...I really can't argue. I grew up with few restrictions and seemed to have survived ok...so I'm admittedly very hypocritical about this. I just can't get it out of my head that it only takes about 250 milliseconds for a motor to spin up. Guess I'm starting to get old and scarey!:o

larry merlau
06-09-2005, 12:36 PM
had close calls and perhaps a good reply would be a instuction one on the simplest way to hook up this single kill switch..from one of our resident electricains.. i installed a lock panel right at the saw but feel that it wouldnt hurt to have everything off when i am away. just an opinion..glad that you survied the almost emergency steve..

Ole Anderson
06-09-2005, 12:45 PM
One more thing to consider with ANYone else in the shop: KICKBACK. I've had my encounters, imagine if it had missed me and hit one of my 5 year old grandkids in the face. Fortunately I don't work in the shop when they are visiting.

When I was young (8-10) I used to watch my dad in his garage shop. It was big enough for both the cars and his old Dewalt RAS. After the first time he had a kickback, I started sitting in the car to watch through the windshield it scared me so much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/Img_0854.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
06-09-2005, 1:01 PM
Ole

Thanks for the reminder. Steve did state that he never operated machinery while his son was in the shop. I think the lesson learned here is that everyone needs to think when there is ANYONE else in the shop. Even if my wife was in the shop, I would watch her.

Dave Richards
06-09-2005, 2:04 PM
Steve, glad you came out of with only an injury to your wallet.

FWIW, I wired my tablesaw through a service disconnect box which I mounted on the left side under the wing. I can reach down without looking and pull the handle out disrupting power to the saw. With the handle on the tabletop, I can see there is no power. The box could be locked if desired or the handle pulled and stored away in a safe place if needed.

Since my saw is wired for 120V, I connected both hot and neutral through the disconnect. The ground is hardwired through the box so it is always intact.

Chris Padilla
06-09-2005, 5:50 PM
I let my daughter in the shop all the time...she gets her own set of ear muffs when I turn on power tools and she gets moved to the opposite side of wherever I'm working.

I have the (good) habit of lowering my TS blade when I'm done cutting. However, twice now, my daughter has managed to turn the TS on (blade was lowered, good for us!) when I wasn't paying attention. We both had to clean out our underwear and/or diapers at the time!

I often set her up on the concrete steps near the door into the house with a couple pieces of wood, some brads, and "her" hammer and she happily tries to bang the nails home...until she hits a finger!

20 months may be too young but I think it is great you have your kids in the shop with you...spending time with Dad doing Daddy things is great for your kids. My daughter loves going in the garage with me...yeah, she has hammered a finger or two, yeah she has banged her head on a thing or two, but she learns and overall, still wants to play with Daddy. I'm only too happy to accomodate but you do have to be careful and mindful that you aren't alone! :)